The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#212351 - 12/04/10 06:23 AM Wool blankets
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Searched the site and found nothing. Anybody purchased wool blankets from sportsmansguide? see Blankets The top 2 on the right side.

Thanks
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#212358 - 12/04/10 01:48 PM Re: Wool blankets [Re: leemann]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi Lee - I bought a couple of the Italian surplus blankets several years ago to keep in the cars. They're great - thick, heavy wool. The ones I got came reeking of mothballs, but they aired out (the customer notes below the blanket has people with various suggestions on how to get rid of the smell).

They had them on sale four for $60 for a while, and while I tried to convince myself I NEEDED that many, they seem to have realized what a steal that deal was and they've raised the price. I really wish I'd gotten in on that.

Don't know about the other blankets, although the Swiss one looks pretty good, too.

Dave

#212367 - 12/04/10 07:53 PM Re: Wool blankets [Re: DaveT]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Hi Dave The swiss blanket and the one I mentioned weigh in at 4lb the italian at 6lb, No mention on the smell removal in the comments. Thanks for the reply.

Ordering today
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#212368 - 12/04/10 10:01 PM Re: Wool blankets [Re: DaveT]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: DaveT
The ones I got came reeking of mothballs, but they aired out (the customer notes below the blanket has people with various suggestions on how to get rid of the smell).

I got some from cheaperthandirt.com a couple of years ago ($20 each) and they reeked of moth balls. I let them air out for a few days and the odor finally went away. It seemed like the odor was released more quickly on very hot days. I bought them to carry in my pickup truck and have never used them but they are very heavy and I have no doubt that they will offer decent protection if needed.

Oversize Ziploc bags are a great way to store and carry them.

#212438 - 12/05/10 11:36 PM Re: Wool blankets [Re: leemann]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I wonder why so many places give instructions to have them drycleaned??? I have always washed my wool blankets. The only trick is not to overdry them.

Beware of 'wool' blankets that say they are 'wool blend' without any listed percentage of wool.

Sue

#212442 - 12/06/10 01:36 AM Re: Wool blankets [Re: leemann]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A Few yrs. ago I bought 2-Italian Military Wool Blankets from The Guide for 22 bucks each.When I received them,I Quickly noticed they Weren't Military,At The Slightest,I've Served in The Military,I Know The Difference! I called them up,& Voiced my concerns,They stated"You ordered Italian Military-STYLE Wool Blankets!"I told them I did Not,& If that were True,Why did you slip in one of Your "Famous Surplus Notes" with each Blanket,They Immediately folded & asked me to ship them back,& They would credit me back Everything,So I did or at least Pkg'd them up,Ready to go,2 days later,I received another pkg. from them,It was Sent Next Day Air,I was Shocked,I hadn't ordered anything more,I opened the box,& There was 2 Italian Military Blankets inside with Another"Famous Surplus Note",These Blankets STUNK not of Mothballs,It was More like Buck-Lure,Xtra-Strong,& Both Blankets had 1/4'' or bigger holes thru-out both of them! I called my Credit Card co.& asked them to Stop payment to SPG,they did,Then I called SPG & Let them Have it!They told me to Keep Everything,& They would Credit my account,on top of this,I said I didn't want their Blankets at ALL,they said Thats the Best we can do for you,I Gave in,& Accepted!3 days later my Credit card co, called me,& said SPG tried to Charge me for over $100 for 4-Italian Military Blankets!I Called them again,this time before I could get anything out there,The Office mgr.came on & Apologized,Give us a couple days&They would make Everything Right!,I was Broiled at this Point but,Thought what did I have to lose,I said OK! 2 days later I received an Envelope with a $200 Gift Certificate & a Free yr. of Club Membership!I still have 1 blanket with holes,the others Fell Apart,at The Dry cleaners!If you want a REAL Quality,Wool Blanket,Order it from Pendeleton or Filson or Mackenzie orGo somewhere to handle it 1st hand Before you buy it! I've also had Problems with Cheaper than Dirt-in FT.Worthless,It wasn't for Blankets though! Caveat Emptor!

#212464 - 12/06/10 12:55 PM Re: Wool blankets [Re: leemann]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I use IMS Plus for my blankets, they offer great quailty Real blankets and good service, dont order any style blankets, make sure it says issue before you order,

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.