Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#211059 - 11/09/10 01:05 AM New project:: overnight hunting gear
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am not able to camp near some of the better hunting areas, nor can I quickly and quietly get there in the dark of early morning. The idea is a minimal pack, game harvester, and sleep wrapped in tarp or heatsheet in place to ambush the early morning neighbors, such as turkeys.

Challenges: often not enough level or open ground for a camp, I will not want to make a fire, cold and perhaps wet night to endure. Oh, yeah, I do not want to be shot as a deer by other hunters who must be presumed to be in the area.

I have been able to sleep semi-sitting and leaning into brush or a tree trunk, but it is not very comfortable and makes quiet movement the next morning difficult. I have discovered most of my outdoor clothing and gear is loud when scratched along branches and brush.

So how do you stealth ninja hunters equip and prepare yourselves to give game a rude suprise?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (11/09/10 01:07 AM)

#211060 - 11/09/10 01:48 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Merino Wool,Polyester Fleece,Fit's the Bill for me!

#211071 - 11/09/10 08:48 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You might want to consider a minimalist bivy sack (definitely under a pound) and a temperature appropriate sleeping bag so you will truly rest, combined with a thermos or two with something hot to go along with your breakfast of sweet rolls.

If the ground is too steep, look into a trekking hammock to hang from a sturdy tree or two.

Frankly, I would just get up early and walk in. If you scout and brush out the route beforehand, it would be a lot easier.

#211072 - 11/09/10 09:33 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
For having a comfortable nights sleep, I'd single out these factors:

- Proper ground isolation (your clothes and sleeping bag is compressed under you, so you need to buy a good sleeping mat or make yourself a good substitute).

- Having a sleeping bag rated to your conditions

- Having a comfortable position

- Staying dry

- Not too windy

- Not being eaten by bugs

In not too bad weather, a tarp plus sleeping bag plus ground mat is a splendid way to spend a night outdoors. Much more roomy than any tent can provide. Much less clammy than a bivy bag and most tents.

Depending on temperature and local fauna, you might want to think about how to avoid mosquitos and bugs. Some bug net to cover your face might be plenty unless you're claustrophobic or want to unzip your sleeping bag to adjust for the not-so-cold nights.

If you need a full size bug net then the weight and bulk of that plus a tarp is pretty close to some of the minimalistic ultralight tents out there - but those are expensive. I'd be very sceptical about ultra-light and ultra-small cheap tents. And ultralight and ultrasmall means clammy (unless they're very successful at designing ventilation, which equals expensive) and crammy. Me, I'd go for a tarp for anything but the most extreme conditions.

My confidence in tarps stops at very strong winds (exactly how strong depends on your ability to find the best location in your terrain) and the combination of wind and snow.

Oh, and you don't want anything smaller than a 9-by-12 size tarp.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/09/10 09:34 AM)

#211095 - 11/09/10 11:16 PM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Two particular challenges: the virtual certainty of close encounters of every kind with poison oak and with tough-thorned brush.

If I get back to base without skin exposure, I can "shower" and wipe down an outermost layer, and then my skin, with a water-Tecnu mixture that should wash-away any poison oak oils.

Pushing or crawling through thorny brush has been described as "doable" with thick leather layers, but they are expensive and guaranteed to create a private sauna worth of sweat regardless of weather.

Ideas for clothing that would work to avoid certain poison oak contact allergic reactions and constant punctures? I'm guessing a hooded set of overalls, gloves, knee and elbow pads, maybe goggles??

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#211098 - 11/10/10 12:21 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

1)Consider hunting somewhere else. Can any turkey be worth it?

2) Suck it up, grin and bear it. I have crawled through poison oak to access climbs. It isn't fun but it is doable. The rash is bothersome but it can be treated and it does go away, eventually.

I believe that poison oak is unknown in Minnesota, although they do have stands of poison ivy, which are far from ubiquitous.

Edited by hikermor (11/10/10 12:22 AM)

#211101 - 11/10/10 12:58 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: hikermor]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Oops! There be poison oak in MN!
http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=Minnesota&statefips=27&symbol=TOXIC

There is also a Poison Oak street in Yankton South Dakota where I lived as a kid. It may not be Minnesota but it is close!

Paul -

#211105 - 11/10/10 01:33 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: NightHiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If Your Not Bleedin',Your Not Workin':)! I've NEVER returned from a Hunt,Unscathed!We have alway's had a Fire going in camp,during our hunts,& We have Made it A Point, to burn Green Boughs of Pine or Spruce or Eucalyptus,& Then jump thru the smoke,Before putting the Fire out,It Masks Human scent,Especially the Boots! I've been on 2 Stalk- Bow Hunts,but have never,Personally Bow Hunted,I prefer rifle,Myself!

#211106 - 11/10/10 01:37 AM Re: New project:: overnight hunting gear [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Well I'll be darned. That poison oak genus is not the California poison oak (Rhus sp.) and it probably is a nice, well behaved, mid west kind of poisonous plant. I will admit that "Toxicodendron" does have a sort of ominous ring to it.....

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.