Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211022 - 11/08/10 02:48 PM Strange Question (Work Related)
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
This one is odd, but just go with it.

We have a client, and that client is in the media (movies, music) business.

For a current project, we're trying to understand more about how people manage media (CD's, DVD, Blu-Ray, Games, VHS, 8 Track, Cassettes, Digital Downloads, etc.) that they own.

Basically, where do you keep it? On display? In a box? In a corner? Secured with locks?

We're collecting pictures and written descriptions. PM me if you want to email something.

#211033 - 11/08/10 04:44 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
CDs and DVDs are on racks next to the player. Some cassettes are in wife's room of doom,,,uh her sewing room.

#211034 - 11/08/10 05:18 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

CDs, DVDs, Minidisc (remember them) and Media downloads (Such as Youtube videos etc) are sampled/recoded/downloaded on to a PC based RAID HD download server then backed up onto a WD passport drive. The WD passport drive is then connected to a WD media player, which is connected to the TV and sound system for playback. Same thing is again done with a portable Archos media player. The actually media is kept (thrown in) in a plastic storage box kept in a bedroom cupboard.

Blu-Ray is slightly more annoying as this requires a dedicated player connected to the TV and the discs require putting the shiny disc into the player one at a time.

What's an 8 track, VHS or Cassette? wink Its been a while since I've been in the roof loft.

#211038 - 11/08/10 06:22 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
CDs are packed away in boxes stored undder the bed. They've all been ripped to iTunes.

DVD's are in a Rubbermade tote stored in the cabinet under the TV. They still get used.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#211044 - 11/08/10 08:26 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The fast majority are in a cabinet out of view. The ones used most often (adult and kids) are in a large case logic DVD/CD binder near the tv.

Been attempting to back up all DVD's on an external hard drive.

Be that as it may, while my son will watch Star Wars movies on continuous loop, I am very much a visual viewer and often need to be inspired by a picture (cover art, disc art) in order to watch something.

#211045 - 11/08/10 08:31 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
My CDs - some in a box in my study, some in a box in the trunk of my car.

Her CDs- anywhere in the house (except my study or the garage).

My DVDs - none.

Her DVDs - in a cabinet in the same room as the DVD player AND anywhere.

She's rearranged the gear often enough that I don't know how to make the DVD player (s?) go anymore.

It takes 3 remotes just to watch TV.

#211047 - 11/08/10 09:09 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
MP3's are stored on a server in my basement and each of us copies what we like to our own laptop. But the rule is anything to rip, buy or download is supposed to go into an organized folder on the server, which is backed-up using Carbonite.

We haven't bought CD's in years. All the CD's we own have been ripped and are now stored in Rubbermaid tubs on a shelf in the basement storage area.

Any VHS worth keeping was burned to DVD before being sold (commercial) or sealed in a Rubbermaid tub (family movies).

DVDs are stored in DVD storage cabinets in the family room. Except for the few that are stashed in the back of my sock drawer. wink

#211049 - 11/08/10 09:28 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Movies, on the shelf. Music, ripped to my computer (for personal use) and stored behind the movies.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#211053 - 11/08/10 10:21 PM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

DVDs, VCR tapes, and CDs ride in a rack by the player they are most likely to be used in. Cassettes, yes I still have a bunch, even as they don't get used much, sit in a wooden box. Vinyl records, sit in a crate ready to use even as as I no longer have a player. Eight-tracks, the six or eight remaining, are in a box that I have lost track of. Might be in the closet.

I don't remember where the wax cylinders and player piano scrolls went.

#211058 - 11/09/10 12:45 AM Re: Strange Question (Work Related) [Re: MartinFocazio]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
...we're trying to understand more about how people manage media (CD's, DVD, Blu-Ray, Games, VHS, 8 Track, Cassettes, Digital Downloads, etc.) that they own.

Basically, where do you keep it? On display? In a box? In a corner? Secured with locks?

I let the thrift store down the street manage my media. They seem to have millions of the items you mentioned. I go in there every now and then, see something I'm interested in, spend a buck on it, use it for awhile, take it back and donate it. As time goes on, truthfully I'm finding less and less use for the stuff. Getting old, I guess. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.