Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#206265 - 08/16/10 02:48 PM Survival Denim Blue Jeans
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wearing denim blue jeans is generally not a good idea in a survival situation for the obvious reasons that when they get wet in the rain they can rapidly cool your lower body down to very uncomfortable levels. They also feel clammy and can be extremely uncomfortable to wear when wet especially when walking. In cold and wet and windy conditions cotton denim can be a hazard to survival.

This is where the Apkit Jeanius Jeans solve this problem. They don't let the individual cottom fibres get wet due to a special process called EPIC by a company called Nextec. This process makes the denim rainproof, breathable and air permeable.

The denim doesn't wet out.

After the water has been allowed to run off a few seconds later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLHgN80jYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmFRoJbQrJQ

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/16/10 02:54 PM)

#206270 - 08/16/10 04:48 PM Re: Survival Denim Blue Jeans [Re: ]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I like the toughness of Jeans, I like that they wear a little better than polys and they don't look too "outdoorsie" I love my gortex and I love my microfibers, but it is nice to see a pair of Jeans that could work as survival gear.

I know there are wax cotton pants and the such but still, I like the fact that you can look city and still be prepaired.

#206272 - 08/16/10 05:12 PM Re: Survival Denim Blue Jeans [Re: Tyber]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Thats interesting. I could see those applicable to ranch work or even blue collar outdoor stuff, even winter resorting, but I still wouldn't wear denim on the trail for my pleasure. My experience is denim is too tight or too baggy and rips easy.

No discredit to the OP. Its good to know.

#206290 - 08/16/10 11:27 PM Re: Survival Denim Blue Jeans [Re: comms]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jeans are problematic where temperatures drop into the hypothermic zone. They are less an issue in hot weather and wold up well to the wear and tear of brush busting and brambles. Where it can be expected that your going to get wet, hiking swamps and wading streams, you can largely eliminate the clamminess and chafing of the wet denim against tender skin by wearing pantyhose under your jeans.

#206292 - 08/17/10 12:16 AM Re: Survival Denim Blue Jeans [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Interesting fabric. It almost sounds like old fashioned tent fabric. When growing up in the snowy fields and meadows, we always came home with frozen-solid pantlegs on our jeans. Would have been deadly in a survival situation, but we could always walk home a mile from our hockey pond in the woods if we got too cold. There are cockleburrs and beggar ticks everywhere, so I don't like wool pants except for ice fishing. When it's cold, I always wear polypropelene long underwear under denim when in the woods these days. I also wear cotton coveralls sometimes, and I have been meaning to try the flannel-lined bluejeans someday. I'll save the pantyhose for the weekends wink

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.