Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204227 - 07/02/10 11:36 PM New Hat - Straw or Cloth?
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i'm thinking of getting a new hat for my woodland wandering.
right now i'm using a felt hat, but with a heat index of 85+, i need something cooler. i'm trying to decide whether to get one made of straw or fabric.
Straw is lighter, cheaper, probably cooler. BUT it's not as sturdy, and it's more flammable(remote factor yes, but this is ETS after all).
Cloth is more durable, but less ventilating(i dont' want a mesh top) probably more expensive.

Soooo, i'd like to get your thoughts on the matter.

also, what would you recommend for each? Tilley is top of my list for a cloth hat, but i don't know about a quality straw hat.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#204228 - 07/03/10 12:11 AM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Erik_B]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Straw. Light, remarkably tough and effective in keeping the sun at bay while remaining well ventilated. Not so effective in the rain without a plastic cover, simple enough to rig with a plastic bag and rubber bands.

Yes, they wear and get torn up. Or as I like to say: They develop character. And when they become too decrepit to remain functional they get replace, or demoted to party night hats where it is all funky form over practical function.

#204244 - 07/03/10 02:00 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

and a source for a quality product? or is one straw hat pretty much the same as the next?

#204246 - 07/03/10 02:40 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Erik_B]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

also, why's this thread marked as a Calendar Event?

#204248 - 07/03/10 03:56 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Erik_B]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I really like my Tilly, very comfortable, cool in hot weather, can be washed and does a decent job of repealing a light rain. I've never found straws to be that comfortable to wear.

#204252 - 07/03/10 09:56 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: rebwa]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
This is my hat below. I wear this all the time when out the trail or camping during the fall/spring/summer as the hat is light and well ventilated. I buy these at the local discount store for $1.69 or so and they usually last a couple of years before they start to loose their shape and or fray. This particular hat is about one year old now and has the lost the slight curl to the sides of the brim and the indentations at the top front center of the crown are almost gone.

John Lubbock

#204253 - 07/03/10 10:24 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
... they usually last a couple of years before they start to loose their shape and or fray. This particular hat is about one year old now and has the lost the slight curl to the sides of the brim and the indentations at the top front center of the crown are almost gone.

When the weather cools off it is easy to re-form a straw hat. Softened the straw with a wet cloth or water spray, stuff the crown with newspaper and stretch rubber bands around the outside to contract the headband. Form the rim like you like it using cardboard or rolled newspaper as a rough form. Hold everything in place with rubber bands and string (or anything else handy) and place the 'boxed' hat in a warm dry place to dry. Attics are handy.

Frayed edges can be stitched or overcast. Yes, that is a lot of work to preserve a $1.69 ($4 to $7 around here) but it doesn't take long and by the time it needs to be done it isn't a cheap hat any more, it is an old friend.

Do I do that with my straw hats? Depends. If I like the hat and we have some history together I work harder on maintenance. On the other hand hats that never seemed to suit me and ones I associate with frustrating projects or trips I don't.

Hint: straw hats will eventually adapt to your head shape but tend to get too lose with time as they continue to expand. You can speed the adaptation by moistening the straw and wearing it until dry on a cool, sweat-free day. Or wear it while sweating and then dry it in an attic or freezer. Once the hat is formed to your head you can keep it that way longer by rigging a band outside the hat to stop the straw from expanding any more. Cloth, a bit of leather, ribbon or woven cordage all work - be creative.

#204255 - 07/03/10 10:44 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Art:

Thats a lot of work...I prefer to just recycle my old hats as fire tinder!

John Lubbock

#204265 - 07/04/10 05:49 AM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: Teslinhiker]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Slightly off topicish. Barbour felt hats are now crushable. You can put them in your pocket and still have a decent shape!
The Sock

#204317 - 07/05/10 05:11 PM Re: New Hat - Straw or Cloth? [Re: TheSock]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Cloth - holds up better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.