The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198674 - 03/22/10 08:29 PM Threading paracord into cordlocks
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
How does someone with only two hands and fat, clumsy fingers thread paracord through a cordlock?

#198694 - 03/22/10 11:08 PM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
You need to melt the end and make sort of a pointy end.

#198707 - 03/22/10 11:41 PM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good question. If the fit is tight, and it is better if it is, it can be difficult. Last time I faced the situation I clamped the cord-lock in a vice to grip it and hold the hole open, and used a small screwdriver to stuff the cords through.

Cinch cords and cord locks are a handy addition to many pieces of clothing. I have bought inexpensive fleece pieces and threaded cinch cords through hems and ended up with a piece as good as one much more expensive. The tops are warmer if you can snug up the bottom hem and the pants benefit from adding cords to the feet.

I like the process of modifying my gear so I save money and get what I want. Adding cinch cords and locks, adding Velcro to sleeves, installing zippers for ventilation, and stitching on pockets are all easy modifications.

#198712 - 03/23/10 12:22 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: Art_in_FL]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
As I recall, I learned this at lighthound.com ...

1. Obtain a plastic drinking straw larger in diameter than the cord. Last I knew, McDonalds has some really wide straws, if needed.

2. Cut one end at a sharp angle with a very sharp knife or scissors - so its really really pointy.

3. Cut across the non-pointy end of the straw to shorten it to about 3" long.

4. Use the knife or scissors to slit the straw open lengthwise on the side opposite the point tip.

5. Spread the straw open and insert the end of the cord into the straw with the cord trailing out the non-pointy end. The straw should close around the cord.

6. While holding the non-pointy end of the straw firmly, insert the pointy end of the straw into the cord lock hole and push the cord into the cord lock. At some point you should be able to pinch the straw and pull it and the cord through the cable lock.

#198714 - 03/23/10 12:28 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: KenK]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: KenK
As I recall, I learned this at lighthound.com ...

1. Obtain a plastic drinking straw larger in diameter than the cord. Last I knew, McDonalds has some really wide straws, if needed.

2. Cut one end at a sharp angle with a very sharp knife or scissors - so its really really pointy.

3. Cut across the non-pointy end of the straw to shorten it to about 3" long.

4. Use the knife or scissors to slit the straw open lengthwise on the side opposite the point tip.

5. Spread the straw open and insert the end of the cord into the straw with the cord trailing out the non-pointy end. The straw should close around the cord.

6. While holding the non-pointy end of the straw firmly, insert the pointy end of the straw into the cord lock hole and push the cord into the cord lock. At some point you should be able to pinch the straw and pull it and the cord through the cable lock.

A McFid!!!

#198716 - 03/23/10 01:14 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
A McFid!!!

Good call.

A trick I've used when threading cords through hems is to use a piece of music wire, available at any hobby shop, and to rough one end up with a file and roll over the opposite end. The rolled end pushes easy through hems and prevent stabbing yourself if you have to force it.

I attach it to the cord by gooping it with superglue and jabbing it down the center-line from the cut end. The excess squeezed out is used to form the end so it tapers. Liquid superglue works best for the first part and gel for the second. In a pinch I have used electrical tape to form the taper.

The piece of wire can then be threaded anywhere you need it. Once through you cut off the glue soaked cord. The wire can be reused by scraping it with a knife.

#198720 - 03/23/10 01:55 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Cut the cord at an angle, don't burn it, coat the tip with hot candle wax. As the wax cools enough, smooth/squeeze the tip into a point.

Sue

#198733 - 03/23/10 07:54 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: Susan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Or skip the "cord lock" and just use the cord and tie a knot. If you need something more substantial to grab tie a big fat juicy knot.

#198735 - 03/23/10 08:59 AM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: MostlyHarmless]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

SUPERGLUE

Get a superglue squeeze bottle and generously drown the end, then snip with scissors as pointy as you need, saw it on a video for the JT handle Wrap (see the 2nd Amendment from jtcustomknives)

#198747 - 03/23/10 01:13 PM Re: Threading paracord into cordlocks [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a pair of needle-nose pliers I use for this. With the pliers open and the cord lock being held open, I use one jaw of the pliers to poke the paracord as far through as it will go. I let the cord lock close, change my grip around, and then grab the end of the paracord with the pliers. Then I open the cord lock and pull.

It's easier to do than to describe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.