Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196474 - 02/24/10 06:14 AM Things to do Waiting for the End to Come
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The plague escaped the quarantine, the zombies won the war, the missiles are on the way, diplomacy failed ... everyone with a lick of sense has retreated to their bunkers full of beans and bandages ... now there is nothing to do but wait.

And play a few games:

To help you remember the way the map looked before the end:
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/worldmap/worldmap.html

Scary addictive, fun and musical:
http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix

Shamelessly stolen from:
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/02/if_you_ever_want_to_see_your_f.php

#196483 - 02/24/10 02:20 PM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: Art_in_FL]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Funny.

I would think filling my days with marksmanship drills would be a worthy past time. Pop up to the cupola of the bunker, burn up a few mags zotzing zombie heads, that could be a gratifying way to fill my days I suppose.

#196825 - 02/28/10 05:50 PM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: benjammin]
BrianEagle Offline

Loc: Northern Texas
The second item is incredibly addictive. Reminds me of the old "Hearts of Space" radio program with new age electronic music.

However, if the power has gone out, I do have a few cheap crossword/pencil game books sitting around.

#196842 - 02/28/10 09:16 PM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: BrianEagle]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The Tonematrix game is very hypnotic. The tone reminds me of Balinese gamelan music. Easy to get lost in the flow and polyrhythms.

The map game is fun. I do pretty well, it amazes me how many people can't manage the basics, like find China. I get thrown because the names have changed since I learned the map way back when we were still riding dinosaurs and everything was arranged along the lines of USSR versus NATO. I can never keep the East African nations straight.

#196856 - 03/01/10 12:18 AM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: Art_in_FL]
BrianEagle Offline

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
The Tonematrix game is very hypnotic. The tone reminds me of Balinese gamelan music. Easy to get lost in the flow and polyrhythms.

The map game is fun. I do pretty well, it amazes me how many people can't manage the basics, like find China. I get thrown because the names have changed since I learned the map way back when we were still riding dinosaurs and everything was arranged along the lines of USSR versus NATO. I can never keep the East African nations straight.

I'm a History teacher and the next time I teach World History I'm going to pull out that map link.

#196881 - 03/01/10 03:36 AM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: BrianEagle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: BrianEagle
The second item is incredibly addictive. Reminds me of the old "Hearts of Space" radio program with new age electronic music.

Oh wow, I haven't thought of "Hearts of Space" in over twenty years. Thanks for the, er, blast from the past!

Edit: HoS HoS is still around!!

-Blast, currently in the past

Edited by Blast (03/01/10 03:38 AM)
Edit Reason: googled
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196884 - 03/01/10 04:30 AM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: Blast]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If I were alone, I think I would play piano or read a book. Those are two of the few things that totally take my mind off of "the real world" and into a more calm and happy place. Hopefully my family would be with me, and then I'd like to play Scrabble or some other board game. We always have fun doing that, even though it's not that often.

#197409 - 03/06/10 08:45 PM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: Blast]
BrianEagle Offline

Oh wow, I haven't thought of "Hearts of Space" in over twenty years. Thanks for the, er, blast from the past!

-Blast, currently in the past [/quote]

I've got an XM Radio that I use to listen to HoS (XM 72 - Spa Channel). I first listened to it about 25 years ago when our college radio station began to play it.

#197416 - 03/07/10 01:02 AM Re: Things to do Waiting for the End to Come [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

-Blast, currently in the past

I was okay with you introducing me to Abney Park and Highland, but not this....This I don't like. Lol. [/quote]

Young'ns, they just don't appreciate good music...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 518 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.