Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#192536 - 01/03/10 04:00 PM BOBike Altoid toolkit
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
In Dagny's thread about bug out bikes I posted a link to an Altoids tin toolkit and mentioned that I have made a few of my own. However when I checked them they both had rust on the tools and on the tins. Well I have managed to get the tools cleaned up and have switched the kits over to some Otter box 1000 cases I had lying around. These are my versions of an Altoids toolkit for a bicycle.

The case on the left is my road bike kit and on the right is my mountain bike kit.

This is what is in my road kit:
-$20 for water or a ride if I need one
-Topeak Mini 6 multi-tool
-Wipermann chain tool with 2 10-speed links stored inside
-Pedro's spoke tool
-2 Wipermann 9-speed chain links (9 and 10 speed bikes are both common in road bikes so I carry links for both in case a riding partner needs to fix a chain)
-Presta to Schrader valve adapter (this would allow me to air up bike tires at a gas station)
-tube patches
-2 extra braze-on bolts
-super glue

This is my mountain bike kit:
-Extra CO2 cartidge
-Pedro's chain tool w/spoke wrenches in the handle
-Presta to Schrader valve adapter
-Wipermann 9-speed chain links
-2 extra braze-on bolts
-super glue
-The kit had some Micro-pur tabs but they expired and I haven't been able to replace them yet.

What I carry in the box are not the only things I carry on the bike. It is just a convenient way to carry the smaller items. I carry more stuff in an under seat bag.

In my road under seat bag I carry the above kit and
-a CO2 inflator w/ a CO2 cartridge
-2 tire levers
-spare tube (not pictured)

In my mountain bike under seat bag I carry the kit and
-a CO2 inflator w/ a CO2 cartidge
-2 tire levers
-Topeak Alien 2 multi-tool
-spare tube (not pictured)
-about 1 dozen zip-ties (not pictured)

I know I shouldn't be so reliant on CO2 inflators because once the CO2 is gone I don't have a way to air up my tires. I want to get one of the mini-inflators that can use either CO2 or be hand-pumped, but I really haven't had the time or money to look into these. I also need to add some duct tape to both my kits.

What do you guys think?

-Robert

#192549 - 01/03/10 06:45 PM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here we are praising CO2 inflators, and in another thread, we are talking about "fitness habits for everyday." It really isn't that strenuous to pump up bicycle tires with a Topeak road Morph pump - gives the upper body a little something to do when out on the bike.

#192563 - 01/04/10 12:04 AM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: hikermor]
NobodySpecial Offline

Add in a couple of cable ties and a one day bus ticket - here all the city buses have bike racks, if I have anything more complicated than a flat I just get the bus home.

#192572 - 01/04/10 02:47 AM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: rbruce]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Nice kit. Maybe I would add spare batteries for your bike lights and some gloves for repairs.
I agree that it's a good idea to carry a small classic manual pump. You can't empty it.

#192576 - 01/04/10 03:53 AM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: raptor]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Get an emergency tire boot in case the sidewall of a tire goes out. In over thirty years of hard cycling, i've only had one sidewall blow, but that's what this forum is all about, being prepared. I don't carry chain links with me anymore, having never needed them. I use to carry a Topeak multitool, but found i only needed two allen wrenches, took off the chain tool to keep, chucked the rest, and carry a leatherman wave. Also, definitely get the duct tape. I carry three CO2 cartridges, better to have too much.

#192590 - 01/04/10 11:27 AM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: barbakane]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I have NEVER heard of anyone having to break chain on a trip! That said, back in the 80s (Pre cassette Hubs) I was on a ride with my riding buddy, when he managed the break 3 spokes on the freewheel side of the rear - and when we walked the 4 miles to the nearest open bike shop, guess what they DIDN'T have? The right freewheel removal tool! We were able to gin something up, but a freewheel tool became a standard part of our kits (He and I both used Atom Freewheels IIRC). Anyway, another trick we were taight by our "real" shop when we got there - Take 4 or so spokes of each length you use (you probably use 3 or 4 different lengths - 1 for the front, 2 different ones in the rear) and slip them INSIDE your handlebars! If you break a spoke, you have spares!

BTW, that bike shop that allowed us to gin something up? No Charge! He didn't even want to touch my friends bike (a Super Record equipped Colonogo) and let us to the work/use his shop, and said "it was worth it just to see a bike like that in his shop"

We managed to get the wheel semi straight, and get back to the Staten Island Ferry, and then to the train home, instead of riding. A good thing anyway, as I was starting to suffer "The Boink", and at that time, didn't know the proper way to handle it
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#192612 - 01/04/10 05:30 PM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: KG2V]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
What? No fiber fix spokes?

Pretty handy if you are hard on spokes. You can make due by just retentioning the adjacent spokes, but you are more likely to break those then.

For those pesky lock rings, you may want to carry a hypercracker:

Nice kits by the way. I pretty much carry the exact same thing in my under seat bag, along with a spare tube. Unless I am really unlucky, then I don't have to mess with patching tubes on the side of the road. I can do it when I get home.

Gosh it is nice to see bike related threads on here... I like this trend.

Greg

#192618 - 01/04/10 07:11 PM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Henry_Porter Offline

Yes on the FiberFix Emergency Spokes: http://bit.ly/4YAKHS

Yes on the zip ties (don't weight much nor take up much space, very handy.

Yes on a small duct tape/Gorilla tape swatch.

The $20 bill could be put into use as a tire boot if a sidewall tears, but you could easily carry a piece of old Tyvex envelope as a lightweight but strong boot material to get you down the road.

Maybe a small "handy-wipe" towelette instead of the gloves suggested above.

Carry the sleeve that you cut off an old short-sleeve t-shirt. You could use it as a head warmer if things turn colder than expected, to bind or cover a cut, or as a clean up rag when you drop your chain.

I carry pain reliever, couple of alcohol pads and a couple of road rash or cut-worthy bandages. For ideas, search online for Brave Soldier packs.

I guess it depends on where/how far/how isolated you ride. A front brake cable wouldn't cost much weight nor room. Randonneurs are often well-equipped due to the sport's creed of self-reliance and self-support. Lots of examples online of rando kits.

Keep the rubber side down.

#192714 - 01/05/10 09:25 PM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: rbruce]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice kit. My EDB (Every Day Bike) kit is bigger, but includes things for rides like food, water, jacket, sunscreen as well as tools and cash.

#192729 - 01/06/10 12:42 AM Re: BOBike Altoid toolkit [Re: TeacherRO]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I've broken lots of spokes, both on my mountain bike and when
touring with heavy loads. I always carry some extra spokes in the
frame under the seat post.

I've had chains brake and also
need to be shortened when I have worn out a cog and the local shop's replacement is a different size.

That $20 will also cover a hole from the inside on a worn thru
tire.

Edited by clearwater (01/06/10 12:56 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.