Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190963 - 12/16/09 12:17 AM Active Hearing Protection for home defense
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
My hearing has always been very sensitive to loud sounds/noises. In a home defense scenario that would involve the use of firearms, I fear that the pain/discomfort to my hearing might make me less than effective in defending my family.

So, that made me ponder if obtaining some Active Hearing Protection (such as this) might be a good idea?
Any thoughts and/or personal recommendations are welcome.

#190964 - 12/16/09 12:26 AM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: Lon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've got the Peltor Tac 6 and those look quite similar. IF you have the time to don a good headset like these, they should enhance your hearing (turn up the volume) and also protect your hearing if you do need to discharge your weapon inside.

#191047 - 12/16/09 07:01 PM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Better make sure the bad guy's lawyers don't find out about that. They'd have a field day claiming that you premeditated the shooting, as made obvious by your use of hearing protection. And also that said hearing protectors prevented you from accurately assessing the situation, therefore acting recklessly.

In an emergency situation with the "fight or flight" reflex going on full bore, I seriously doubt your body will allow you to be all that sensitive to loud noises.

#191066 - 12/16/09 10:14 PM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: haertig]
drahthaar Offline

"I fear that the pain/discomfort to my hearing might make me less than effective in defending my family."

Really?

#191067 - 12/16/09 10:20 PM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: haertig]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Having been a firearms instructor and worked law enforcement / corrections there is a thing called auditory exclusion that kicks in during a use of force incident. When cops that have been in a shooting are asked about it, they usually refer to hearing 'pops' if anything at all. In short, don't worry about it.

Point one: Always use hearing protection when at the range or when shooting outside at targets to save your hearing. If you have a deadly force confrontation it will not be an issue and you don't need to worry about it then. If you have a situation where you have to grab a gun, DO NOT complicate the process with "extra" gear. A good flashlight will be much more valuable.

Point two: Get good instruction on firearm use, practice a lot too as shooting is a perishable skill. Most shootings also take place in the dark or low light conditions so get instruction on that and find a way to practice with just a flashlight too. Last, the choice to have and maybe use a firearm is very personal but also has a huge responsibility.

#191083 - 12/16/09 11:39 PM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: pforeman]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'd second the "don't worry about it" mentality. No real scientific data to back me up, just observations that few troops use hearing protection. Like someone said though, if you have time to get on earmuffs, you have time to do something else (911, evacuate, lock the door, etc).

I'd worry more about the gun "exploding" when you shoot for the first time at night. If you've never done it, you'll be seeing lots of gasses venting that you don't see in normal day light shooting. Be prepared for that.

#191088 - 12/17/09 12:29 AM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: pforeman]
NAro Offline
Addict

I understand auditory exclusion as reducing the awareness of the gunfire, but I haven't seen anything indicating that it mitigates the high-decible hearing damage caused by gunfire. Am I misinformed?

#191090 - 12/17/09 12:53 AM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: NAro]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
You are right - hearing damage is hearing damage. However we are, in this instance, talking about a brief exposure (a few shots maybe at worst a dozen or less). This should not have any long term or major impact. Long term exposure such as discharging a firearm repeatedly would likely produce hearing loss. I for example do have some measured loss of hearing and I attribute it to being dumb when younger and doing a lot of shooting without good hearing protection.

The question here was for the situation and I would never recommend or consider the impact of auditory exclusion as a substitute for proper hearing protection and suitable use. In the situation being considered, I feel going without hearing protection would be appropriate and wearing it in a household "confrontation" would not be advisable. Thanks for helping clear this up.

#191163 - 12/17/09 08:05 PM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: Lon]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
In a real situation, you don't even notice the noise. My wife is very, very sensitive to loud noises, but when one of the roosters turned aggressive and she was trying to catch it because she was worried that it could possibly hurt our toddler, out came the Mossberg and BLAM! Not a mention of the noise. Same thing used to happen to me in firefighting. Fires can be LOUD, especially if the garage it burning and stuff in cans is going "boom" - yet somehow, I never really was bothered by that.

#191195 - 12/18/09 12:44 AM Re: Active Hearing Protection for home defense [Re: MartinFocazio]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
What round are you using? According to one of the columnists in Combat Handguns (O.K., not hearing experts, but make of it what you will) a few exposures to a magnum, such as .357 indoors, will cause permanent hearing loss.

Remember though, if you're alive, you can always buy a hearing aid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.