Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179020 - 08/10/09 10:34 PM iPhone Apps Development?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Anyone here have any experience in iPhone apps development? Looking for a little guidance for a project.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#179044 - 08/11/09 01:31 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Contact the family of this kid. Maybe he will work cheap?

RIP OBG

#179066 - 08/11/09 07:10 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I do have a friend who has written his own iphone apps. PM me and I can put you in touch.

#179080 - 08/11/09 11:28 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: DesertFox]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Sorry I can't help, but I just had to post in this thread.

I just bought myself an Ipod Touch the other day and this thing is amazing. I've only been playing with it for two days and I can already see that this thing is eventually going to end up working itself into my EDC.

Photos, Appointments, Weather, Stocks, Driving Directions, News, Books, Movies, Movie times, Music, TV shows, the internet, Wireless bluetooth connectivity, Email, a drawing/note pad, the Bible, the Quran, a bubble level, XM Radio, remote control for iTunes on my computer, Language translator, and a police scanner....all in the palm of my hand.

If someone would have told me when I was a kid, that, one day, I would have a single device that could do all those things........I simply wouldn't have believed them. This is probably the first thing I've bought in a long time that truly makes me feel like I'm living in "the future." grin

#179803 - 08/20/09 01:02 AM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Paul810]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Paul810:

I had that same "living in the future" when I got my first iPhone, and have it still. (I just got an iPhone 3Gs.) The iPhone is, for me, an essential piece of survival kit.

I don't know what Doug is developing, but it will pretty sure end up in my apps.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else)

#180008 - 08/21/09 09:50 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Lots. Tell me more.

#180012 - 08/21/09 11:06 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

email sent
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#180030 - 08/22/09 02:15 AM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I just installed BBScanner and Pandora on my black berry let me say those apps are freaking awesome! My phone is now a scanner, and a radio w/no commercials and unlimited stations of my choice.

#189664 - 12/01/09 07:09 PM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: Todd W]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Re-lighting this thread. I just got the iPhone and looking for good preparedness apps.

Here is what I have found so far that have been useful, (free).

AroundMe- using the phone GPS it finds you on a google map and then lists by category all pertinent businesses like hospitals, ATM, food/drink, gas stations, hotels, etc. You can also type in a general search. It then gives you directions to the address on a moving google map. I have used this many times already.

Just Light- turns touchscreen into a white light. Similar to white LED, good for general illumination. Used to find things that have fallen on the floor of the vehicle. Once to look behind a pc tower.

RK Free (run keeper)- Using your GPS it tracks your location and how far you travel in min/mile, mph, total time and total miles. Can be used for running but I use it more as a pedometer or confirming distances I walk.

I have been underwhelmed to say the least regarding actual GPS apps, free or charged. Also, as I understand, they work off the 3G network and not satellite so if I am out of cell tower range, its useless anyway. If this is incorrect let me know.

This has also kept me away from trail/hike apps. Change my mind if you can.

#189800 - 12/03/09 09:54 AM Re: iPhone Apps Development? [Re: comms]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: comms

I have been underwhelmed to say the least regarding actual GPS apps, free or charged. Also, as I understand, they work off the 3G network and not satellite so if I am out of cell tower range, its useless anyway. If this is incorrect let me know.

This has also kept me away from trail/hike apps. Change my mind if you can.

The GPS is satellite-based GPS just like any Garmin device. It is not in any way dependent on cell towers. If you're using the GPS functions of the iPhone, you're using the satellites.
In urban areas where there is poor line of sight to the sky, some applications (google maps) fall back to positional estimation based on cell towers and their known coordinates.

In terms out use in outdoors situations, the iPhone is a fair substitute for a dedicated GPS device, but nowhere near rugged enough for serious use. Battery life is an issue and the lack of a replaceable battery means that even with a charging system of some kind, you're not going to have the same level of reliability as you would with a dedicated GPS device.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.