Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#187087 - 10/31/09 07:29 PM daily report @ urbansurvival
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Y'all should check out the report today at www.urbansurvival.com

I found it very interesting.

No, I have no affiliation with George Ure, Cliff, urban survival or half past human!

#187097 - 10/31/09 09:14 PM Re: daily report @ urbansurvival [Re: wildman800]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
This?
http://mignews.com.ua/en/articles/376728.html

Thank you. It got me looking at a few other news sources.
They seem to be in quite the situation, and as usual there is a lot of political conspiracy theory commentary around it.

However if we ignore the political accusations it still seems they have a more virulent strain that they are labelling as A/H1N1 flu-California.
They are appealing for international aid.

Polskie Radio online reports Poland is considering closing their borders to the Ukraine.

#187111 - 11/01/09 01:57 AM Re: daily report @ urbansurvival [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

General impressions:

I'm having problems reconciling the statement:

Quote:
You'll find that thanks to some hard work by a few friends in this endeavor, we've been some distance ahead of mainstream media MSM and hope to continue this into the future.

With:

Quote:
What's ahead for the balance of 2007 may hold an economic meltdown in September and a huge "stress building period" from September 19th through mid December. Should be an interesting time. Then a global coastal event and global disease in 2008.

Sounds like they have been lapped but think they are in the lead.

The article from Ukraine reads pretty much like a standard report of outbreak. Doesn't seem to cite any fatality, demographics or numbers needing ICU or respirators.

The bit on bank closings is interesting but lacks necessary comparisons to the normal rate of bank closings. Yes, hundreds close or are reorganized every year. Even in good times.

The combination of articles all seem to point toward an alarmist bent without putting things into context of what is, or is not normal or exceptional and why. The guy seems to make some warm to luke-warm economic and market guidance but nothing out of line with many other sources. Even a careful and selective reading of such ossified sources as the WSJ would get you similar, almost identical in some cases, reports. It isn't like he is wrong so much as unremarkable.

He seems to play up the role of outsider and informed rebel reporting on the dark clouds closing in a bit much. Unremarkable ,middling to fair, reporting with a dash of apocalyptic alarm for flavor. Offered up a long list materials for sale. Everyone needs to make a living and most feel they need a gimmick.

For a slightly different flavor. One of my favorite economist/ business commentators:

http://delong.typepad.com/

#187159 - 11/01/09 09:21 PM Re: daily report @ urbansurvival [Re: Art_in_FL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That site is ridiculous to navigate... not to mention the links that seemingly have no relationship in the middle of the page maybe spam? maybe other sites he owns? Who knows.

The site pretty much causes me to careless what they have to say.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.