Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#186884 - 10/30/09 02:29 AM O/T - I need to pick your brains
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am in need of a kind of tub to set in the bottom of a cage.

Sturdy plastic, about 36x24", three or four inches deep. Like a very large litter box. All of these dimensions are approximate, as I can build the cage to fit the container. And it can't be too expensive.

I can't even think of what something like this would be used for, so I don't know where to look.

Any thoughts or directional indications would be welcome.

Sue

#186885 - 10/30/09 02:33 AM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your local home center would have mortar mixing boxes which are close to those dimensions - quite sturdy, though with sloping sides. They are likely to have other containers which might also work for you.

#186893 - 10/30/09 03:29 AM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If the 'tub' needn't be solid, as in the cage itself is dimensionally stable enough enough without the 'tub' but lacks some other quality, like resistance to liquids, then you might try shower pan liner material. This is thick, typically almost 1/16" thick, PVC plastic. It comes in 48" width, is sold by the lineal foot and are cut from a roll so you can get as many feet length as you like.

The idea would be that you buy it perhaps 8" or 10" longer and wider than the cage and allow it to run up the walls of the cage in both directions. You could either try folding the corners, perhaps using a binder clip or clothespins to hold the fold, or you can cut, fold and glue it permanently into shape. Supplies and instruction for doing this are available where you buy the sheeting. I have cut and glued it and it isn't hard once you get the hang of it. In effect your making a making something like a fitted sheet, like for a bed, out of heavy duty plastic.

If you go with it flat with folded corners it would be easy to store, you could roll it up, and clean.

#186895 - 10/30/09 03:31 AM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: Art_in_FL]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Mortar box or maybe a bus tub from a restaurant supply house?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#186900 - 10/30/09 04:02 AM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: JohnE]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have one of the plastic storage bins that slide under a bed.
It is about 20"x36"x6"
I think it was bought at Walmart or Zellers or someplace like that.

#186965 - 10/30/09 04:47 PM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
All excellent suggestions, I will check them out. I had the feeling that I was the victim of a 'blind spot' in figuring this out.

Art, what kind of adhesive would you use on that material? GOOP?

Sue

#187018 - 10/30/09 11:01 PM Re: O/T - I need to pick your brains [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan

Art, what kind of adhesive would you use on that material? GOOP?
Sue

The thick PVC used as shower pan liners is glued using a solvent type glue. I have been told you can use regular PVC pipe cement but I used the solvent cement specifically intended for the use. I suspect it is the same stuff dyed a different color. Pretty much any place that sells the plastic liner material will have the right cement. Many places will have a one-page instruction sheet available for free that gives detailed instructions on how to cut and weld the material. I got mine from Home Depot and the cement and instruction sheet were all on one shelf.

Typically you cut to shape, coat both sides of any joint with a layer of solvent cement, press into position and clamp firmly. I used two pieces of 2by4 and a large C-clamp. After a day I unclamped it and the weld is almost as strong as the material itself. I've been told, like with PVC pipes, the material doesn't need to be clamped as long as you can hold it together for a minute or two.

Simply folding and using removable clamps to hold the shape, instead of cutting and welding it to shape like I did, should be quicker and easier. Clothespins might work and might do double duty holding the plastic in shape and securing it withing the cage. The plastic wants to lay flat so I would plan on allowing it to run up the sides three or four inches.

To give you some idea of what I'm talking about. Don't let teh price scare you. They are selling a complete roll that is 5' wide and 40' long.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-290-misc-repair/pvc-shower-pan-liner-637284.aspx#features

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.