Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#185849 - 10/19/09 04:50 AM Our lazy Sunday
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
We had planned on going to the Academy of Arts today to see a Lego exhibit. There was also a medieval theme and we were happily surprised. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Since I was going to be missing my martial arts class today, I got up at 6 to get a quick hour and a half workout. My girls got up as I was part way through and joined me until they got tired. Then it was out for a family breakfast.

And on the the exhibit. The first thing we noticed was a bunch of weapons set up on a table and a guy in armor in front of it.

The guy tells me that they wear full armor...real armor, weighing between 65 to 80 pounds. They use fake weapons but stick with the pound per foot convention. And the go full speed and full contact. They use an honor system where if you get hit in a body part, you "lose" the part for combat purposes. Torso and head shots are kill shots. They play fully armored and trust their armor. Their fake weapons are made from rattan, leather, and foam for the striking tips.

It was fun to watch them fight and I wondered how I might do in there lighter and unarmored. But then, I have gotten hit with rattan sticks before and it's no fun. OK, it is fun, but it really hurts. And if you get hit on bone, you stay hurt for a long time. Plus some of those guys were pretty big so if they landed, it would hurt. I would just hate to carry all that extra weight in armor. I may go check them out one Sunday. But they start shortly after I finish my four hour Sunday workout, so I am not sure how I would be able to handle it.

My girls got some whacks in.

They both FINISH HIM!!

more to follow...

#185851 - 10/19/09 05:53 AM Re: Our lazy Sunday [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

After dispatching their foes, it was time for some quiet reflection.

And clowning.

Followed by an art/art information scavenger hunt.

I took one picture in the gallery and then the picture police came and told me no pictures. The one that got away was of this strange rock from China. Strangely, it was named "Strange Rock" in Chinese.

From there, we stopped to have Waiola shave ice, which only happens to be the best shave ice in the universe. It was a deliciously hot day, so the treat was great. For obvious reasons, there were no pictures. We just scarfed.

Then we headed Into The Woods. We took the kids to see the play. But first, we enjoyed the pre-play reception that we got invited to.

The play was great! And we got to meet the cast afterward.

My girls with Cinderella's Evil Stepmother and Wicked Stepsisters.

This young lady played the witch. She was fantastic! She along with the baker and the baker's wife were the best.

And since my wife likes her bad boys, who does she end up with but The Big Bad Wolf himself.

So we were out from 9 am to 5:30 pm. Believe it or not, after dinner, I thought about doing the 5 Tibetans. And for those of you with dirty minds, I salute you. But get your minds out of the gutter. I figured that since I already had a marital as well as a martial arts workout today, I would save my energy for another marital arts workout later tonight and post these pictures instead. Besides, the 5 Tibetans can wait until tomorrow.

#185854 - 10/19/09 08:10 AM Re: Our lazy Sunday [Re: aloha]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
What has this got to do with being equipped to survive? You really think we are interested in pics of adorable children and exotic arts?

ok i admit it we are. keep up the good work :-)
The Sock
P.S captions for pics are better beneath them. it's what we are used to from the media. you notice the 'this is an advert' ones are at the top of pics so people don't see them?

#185879 - 10/19/09 04:31 PM Re: Our lazy Sunday [Re: aloha]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Plus some of those guys were pretty big so if they landed, it would hurt."

They probably have to be to hold up the armor!

That looks like an interesting place.

Sue

#185886 - 10/19/09 05:39 PM Re: Our lazy Sunday [Re: TheSock]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: TheSock
What has this got to do with being equipped to survive? You really think we are interested in pics of adorable children and exotic arts?

ok i admit it we are. keep up the good work :-)
The Sock
P.S captions for pics are better beneath them. it's what we are used to from the media. you notice the 'this is an advert' ones are at the top of pics so people don't see them?

Thanks Sock. I will try to remember to put the captions at the bottom next time.

#185889 - 10/19/09 05:43 PM Re: Our lazy Sunday [Re: Susan]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Susan
"Plus some of those guys were pretty big so if they landed, it would hurt."

They probably have to be to hold up the armor!

That looks like an interesting place.

Sue

Aloha Sue, you may be surprised, but there were several women participating too. I am certain their armor doesn't weigh as much as they are smaller, but probably proportionately comparable.

I was thinking the armor may be easier to carry than a heavy pack because of how it is situated and attached to the body. But I don't know for sure.

The guy I was talking to said his armor that day was about 65 pounds and that he could and has done cartwheels in it. I was just impressed he could do cartwheels, let alone in armor.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.