Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#183808 - 10/01/09 12:53 AM A week on the East Coast
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I was talking with my GF tonight, and was wondering how to spend my 1-week vacation this year. So I hit upon the idea of taking a car trip up the east coast from Norfolk, VA towards Maine.

Now, I've lived in Philly before, and visited DC many times. We're hoping to see more the backcountry type environment, do day hikes, maybe some off-road (or unpaved road) exploration.

Problem is, it's a big area, fairly built up for most of it, and kind of poor continuity between the states on what there is to do.

Anyone have any suggestions on things to see? I'd like to avoid the battlegrounds and presidential birth places, etc. I was thinking more like Catskills, Adirondaks, that sort of thing.

This will probably happen towards next April, so not super worried about snow - just starting to get ideas together now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can put forth.

#183812 - 10/01/09 01:15 AM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: MDinana]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Cat’s in range of NYC and towns some tough {Hills} and varied terrain if you’re a fisherman or hunter. You’ll hit the season; license can be high for non-residents through.
The Adirondacks is a world unto it’s self as big as some States.
NJ has some good places even close to Atlantic City.
Just be aware at this time of year we go from 0 to 70’s+ temps all within a day depending where you are and wet!

http://www.traildatabase.org/countries/usa.html
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/
http://slackpacker.com/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/greenmountain/htm/fingerlakes/f_home.htm
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/forsythe/
http://wildernet.com/

#183859 - 10/01/09 11:59 AM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: akabu]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The Cats are nice this time of year - go for a drive around the Ashokan Resevoir - BTW - do yourself a big favor - stop at the Resevoir Inn (between Rt28 and 28A - on DikeRd/Basin Rd - right where they meet)

You could go up to Phonicia, and Woodstock (which is NOT where the concert was, that was Bethel)

The "Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome" (across the river from Kingston) puts on a nice WWI airshow on weekends - plus get some apples in that whole area

If you want a nice, but expensive place to stay (that I haven't been to in 20 years) - Look up The Whistlewood Inn. A nice B&B

No financial ties to any of this - I just love the area, used to own property up there, have a lot of friends up there, and hope to buy property up there again
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#183949 - 10/02/09 12:18 AM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: MDinana]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I was talking with my GF tonight, and was wondering how to spend my 1-week vacation this year. So I hit upon the idea of taking a car trip up the east coast from Norfolk, VA towards Maine.

This will probably happen towards next April, so not super worried about snow

If you are coming up in April, and make it up to Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont, snow is still an issue grin

People are still skiing in the NH White Mountains in April sometimes, certainly in Tuckerman's Ravine, and there's still going to be snow followed by mud, along much of the AT through VT, NH, ME if you come up that far.

Having said that, it's awesome hiking up there. Try the AMC: www.outdoors.org for some good planning info. Hiking some of the Presidential Range in the White Mountains National Forest, or doing Katahdin up in Baxter State Park in Maine would be great, but, you really need to be prepared at that time of year. On Katahdin, April's probably going to still mean winter boots, crampons, ice axes, etc. If you go up the "Knife Edge" trail in April, you'll never forget it. (Assuming you live) It's the northern end of the AT.

As your planning gets crisper, and you decide what states you'll be visiting, let us know. If you make it to New England, I can give you some help I'm sure.

What a fun project to work on over the winter!

- Ron

#183957 - 10/02/09 01:28 AM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: Be_Prepared]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks so far folks! I think I need to hit up AAA and pick up some state maps, sit down on the kitchen floor, and let my brain wander.

Great ideas and links so far! Thanks so much.

April is still kinda/sorta up in the air. I have my schedule for the year, but it isn't 100% permanent. Plus I'll have to get my break approved well in advance. If it IS still snowy in April, c'est la vie. I've done worse! It just adds to the beauty - the crispness, the sun reflecting, the frostbite...

Keep 'em coming!

#184001 - 10/02/09 01:26 PM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: MDinana]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
+1 on what akabu said. I would throw in Bear Mountain and Storm King Mountain in upstate NY. Beautiful scenic views of the Hudson River, and plenty of camping and hiking trails.

#184004 - 10/02/09 01:53 PM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: DesertFox]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Even Shenandoah NP is pushing it for camping comfort in April.

I much prefer vacationing in September-October, the weather is more reliably pleasant in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

#184167 - 10/03/09 04:39 PM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: Dagny]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Another good place for info if you're going to work your way up the coast, is the Appalachian Trail Conservancy site: www.appalachiantrail.org

They have planning info for day and through hikers. Trail updates, tips, blogs.

- Ron

#184171 - 10/03/09 05:28 PM Re: A week on the East Coast [Re: Be_Prepared]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
MY suggestion is the Green Mtns in VT. Lots of opportunities for dayhikes up that way. There are plenty of offroad trails in Maine-old logging roads, etc-reach out to some of the offroad clubs in the new england area (google some-I contact bay state jeepers all the time, they have good info on trails in NE). Snow will still be an issue in April, as will mud. Be prepared for it, especially farther north.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.