Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146101 - 08/27/08 05:17 AM Just out of curiosity
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I have worked with a variety of sheath knives over my stay on this big blue marble. Kabars, Air Force Survival knives, German field knives, civilian hunting knives, you name it.
Being primarily a backpacker, I find they have one big flaw, they are quite heavy. Which brings me to my question.

Has anyone ever managed to destroy a Mora knife? These little knives are quite lightweight but are remarkably robust. While I realize they would be ineffective as a prybar, I have not encountered circumstances in which I normally use a knife where these little guys are not effective.

I have a machete for heavy chopping, so as a general camp and bushcraft knife these appear to have no equal. \

What say you, Oh wise and knowing Sages?

#146103 - 08/27/08 06:03 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Tarzan]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Last January during the annual Fruitcake run I gigged a specimen from 'that catalog.' You know the one, they are in upstate Maine and sell old fashioned colognes so you have flashbacks of your crazy aunt who wore them, 6 pieces of maple syrup candy @ $30 and marzipan.
It sat maturing in the cheap brandy I bought closeout at the local drugstore.I finally decided to pack some in my kit and unwrapped it fully.
This brick is a pallinologist's nightmare! There are fruits and nuts that predate Gregor Mendle and defy even rudimetary identification.
So I pulled out one of my wooden, redhandled, engineer's nightmare MORAS and stabbed the fruitcake with all the might of RichardIII during his fabled meeting with Saladin. To it's credit, the knife penetrated almost to the nickle bolster.
I tried to slice the fruitcake. The MORA remained in situ, as in stuck. I had visions of T.S. White and the Sword in the Stone and it refused to budge. I eventually wound up holding on in a death grip as I pushed against the fruitcake with both CORCORAN paratrooper boots. After several tries I saw the fruitcake fly off, leaving a dent in the drywall.
The MORA blade was STILL embedded in the cake. I was holding the now seperated handle.My APT maintenance man manged to finally free it with a sawzall, though I had to replace the brand new blade.
I managed to epoxy the now damascened blade back into the handle, now with a 15 degree bend to the right. This GOTH girl saw it and pleaded to buy it. I sold it to her, for the price of TWO moras. The things are like coat hangers and rabbits.Leave them alone and they multiply. That, or just have a standing order in with Ragnar.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/27/08 06:15 AM)

#146108 - 08/27/08 10:23 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
LOL

Chris, it's sometimes hard to tell when you are being honest or spinning a yarn. IF the later, this is one of your best. But if not... yeah, lay off the fruitcake, it's hard on the jaws. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#146113 - 08/27/08 12:34 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, you get what you pay for, most of the time. But also Caveat Emptor Peter Brady, Caveat Emptor...

#146117 - 08/27/08 12:48 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Tarzan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

My only Mora I bought from a retired trapper/hunting guide in British Columbia. The story that came with it (whether true or not I have no way of knowing, we was quite the story teller) gave it quite a history. It does have a few dings here and there. I don't use it all that much, so it will probably outlast me.

Re fruitcake, hey, I like that stuff. But only the good brands. My son sends me some every Christmas, and I love him for it...

#146120 - 08/27/08 12:56 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For what I'd use a Mora to do, I'll use a SAK and not worry about breaking it. As for Fruit Cake. . . good brands???. . . The only fruit cake I've eaten was not store bought and it was rather good.

Just use the Mora as it was intended, don't pry laterally and you should be fine.

#146140 - 08/27/08 03:14 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Moras are capable and reliable as long as you restrict them to cutting tasks only. A good choice for backpacking and general woodcraft.

I have broken a couple of Moras over the years. Both times I got carried away and tried to dig/pry. Both were carbon steel versions, thin bladed, which I now avoid. Both snapped clean off, right where the blade meets the handle.

I find the plastic-handled stainless steel versions to be stronger, FWIW. And the weight/cost is so modest that I can afford to carry two if I really need a backup.

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/27/08 03:24 PM)

#146150 - 08/27/08 04:42 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Tarzan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Weekend backpacking trip in the mountains: $200.00

KaBar hunting/fighting knife: $50.00

Having a knife one can depend on: PRICELESS*

*With some equipment, weight is not a consideration**

**No, I am not affiliated with any charge card companies, video production studios, or with KaBar Knife Co.***

***No animals were harmed during the making of this posting.****

****This is strictly my own personal opinion, YMMV.

#146203 - 08/27/08 07:09 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: wildman800]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: wildman800
*With some equipment, weight is not a consideration**

Respectfully, when backpacking, I think weight is always a consideration for any piece of equipment.

We ruthlesslessly and relentlessly test items for weight vs. utility. Since you can only carry so much, you make hard and calculated choices. Unless you can afford to hire Sherpas to haul your stuff (boo/hiss!).

I am a knife nut. But if I have to choose, weight-wise, between a heavier knife or better clothing, better boots, better pack, better water treatment, there is no contest. The knife loses.

Bear country? Carry pepper spray, not bigger blades. Might need to harvest wood for fire? Carry a 2 oz. saw blade. Cat sanitation? Watch for a stout deadfall stick on your travels, snag it, put a digging point on the end with your SWAK, and leave it when done.

From what I've seen, the more experienced the backpacker, the smaller the knife he/she carries. There are exceptions depending on terrain of course. But it's perhaps the reverse of the military model of thinking on the subject. I've carried big blades while backpacking, and realized halfway through they were both unhandy and a waste of precious weight. I've learned (well, sort of) to always trust the list I make in the field, and not get carried away by the latest catalogue.

But as you say, YMMV. Truer words were never spoken.

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/27/08 07:24 PM)

#146213 - 08/27/08 07:21 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: dougwalkabout]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
dougwalkabout - That's a bunch of thoughtful and useful information thank you for sharing smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 620 Guests and 153 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.