Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140622 - 07/21/08 06:03 PM Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I bought a Mini-Griptillian about 2 months ago. Today I noticed that there is no more spring tension in the "locking bar" (for lack of a better term). Its like the spring is busted.

I did a bit of research and I didn't see a review or comment about this happening to this knife.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

I sent an email off to Benchmade and they mentioned that I should return the knife for repair. But has anyone did the repair on their own? Difficult? It would be cheaper to buy a new knife then to have this one shipped back to the states (reversed through customs here), fixed, then re-shipped back here and pay duty again (usually it doesn't happen, but if paperwork isn't 110% correct you gotta pay).

Kris

#140624 - 07/21/08 06:23 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There should be two springs. Did both springs break? I'd discuss the shipping issue with Benchmade. Since they are the source of the springs, you'd need to go through them to fix it yourself as I don't know where you can otherwise get them. I've never broken an axis lock spring, but IIRC Benchmade is not big on customers dismantling their knives. Good luck, keep us informed.

#140628 - 07/21/08 06:53 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Russ]
Kris Offline
Addict

I *think* both broke... the locking post just floats around and no tension on either side. The blade will open freely too (didn't know that the locking bar is what provided the tension of keeping the blade closed too). Its now in my bag as I can't pocket carry or even use.

I asked BM about the part and fixing it myself due to the cost associated with shipping, customs, etc. If it turns out thats my only option, i'd probably buy a new knife. I can't justify 60-70 bucks to send a knife in for repair (and back again, plus duty on it - again, etc).

We'll see what happens.

#140632 - 07/21/08 06:57 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm not sure if things are just strange in the Caribbean but it would be really strange for you to get charged duty if the box were labeled appropriately. All they need to do is put 'warranty repair' on the customs paper work. To get charged duty, they would have to actually submit paperwork stating that you paid for the knife again...which is false and could be contested (I've done it)

#140637 - 07/21/08 07:07 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Its happened in the past, where I had items sent off island for waranty repair (have to go through lots of paperwork to get it done), then when it comes back still have to pay duty on it (even with everything filled in correctly). Typical island saying is, "no worries". Holds true to everything. Contest all you like, your up against people who are holding the parcel you want, therefore its their rules. I have contested before, but doesn't matter. Now, this usually happens 1/2 the times I send stuff off for repair. I don't do it anymore for this reason.

Keep in mind, its a line to wait in to get the paperwork done and all that it entails. So, I would have to take 2-4 hours off of work just to get that done. By that stage, its just not worth it.

Kris

#140639 - 07/21/08 07:18 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That sucks. Shipping between Canada and the US has gotten remarkably better in the past 5 years. I used to dread it and now as long as I don't have to deal with UPS, it's pretty hassle free.

#140641 - 07/21/08 07:22 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Yeah... when you purchase something (from whereever), its ok. But when there's a problem (warentee repair), thats when things get messed up here.

#141402 - 07/25/08 06:23 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Kris Offline
Addict

Update:
Benchmade emailed back and shipping the springs free of charge to me.

Question:
What tools do i need to take apart a mini-grip?

#141405 - 07/25/08 06:28 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why not get a Benchmade BlueBox Service Kit Pocket Tool Set. Something I should probably get too.

#141480 - 07/26/08 04:16 AM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Russ]
Kris Offline
Addict

hummmm... wish the guys emailing me back from benchmade mentioned that! I would of bought one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.