Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129981 - 04/12/08 12:28 AM My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight!
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Bear Cubs That Is!

We had 2 ophaned black bear cubs brought to our attention today and my work partner went and recover them this afternoon.

The small female mother bear picked a very poor spot for a den, she burrowed into the side of a ditch bank adjacent to a rural road. This winter the private forest beyond the ditch was logged, this activity combined with the recent high spring run-off water in the ditch, caused the mother to vacate the den early. Wolves detected the den and were seen digging at it, which drew the attention of the local people in the area. Tracks in the snow indicated that the mother bear had not been to the site in two days; she may have been scared off, hit on the road by a vehicle or predated by the wolves.

The bear cubs were quite weak when first captured but with some warmth (we had a snowstorm here today) and food (pablum) they are recovering nicely.

So the 2 five pound balls-of-fur (caked in mud) are destined to take a 300 mile roadtrip with me tomorrow to a wildlife rehabilitation centre, where they will be raised with limited human contact until they are old enough to release back into the bush.

Cool stuff and my daughters have a really, neat story to tell at school on Monday!

Mike

#129986 - 04/12/08 01:17 AM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: SwampDonkey]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
really cool to hear

#129990 - 04/12/08 02:25 AM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

good work..the sort of out come i like to hear for a change..

#130003 - 04/12/08 12:16 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...

i demand adorable chibi-ursine imagery.

Edited by Erik_B (04/12/08 12:18 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#130043 - 04/13/08 12:59 AM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: Erik_B]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Erik,

I got a problem. My son took the good family digital camera with him to a shooting competition this weekend, all we had at home was an old HP camera that I do not have the computer attachment cord for. I may be able to get the pictures put on a disc at WalMart and then load it on to the computer that way.

Erik, here's the deal though, I have never downloaded a picture to the web before, I will need detailed instruction on how to do this, O.K. (I am a member of the computer challenged generation)?

I did take some good pictures though. Also it will have to be in about a week because I am in Southern Ontario teaching a course right now.

I delivered the 2 bear cubs to the Rehab. centre this afternoon, they overwintered an amazing 87 bear cubs from last year that will be released back into the wild this year. The 2 cubs we had will be reintroduced in summer 2009.

Mike

#130053 - 04/13/08 01:19 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
ok image uploading instructions:

go to http://photobucket.com/ and create an account, it's free and no spam is involved.

transfer to pictures from your camera's memory card to your desktop

open your photobucket album.

on the right side of the page is the area to select the uploaded image.

click the Browse button next to one of the blank spaces.

find and select the picture you want to upload.

click OK.

beneath the picture links, there is a large blue button that says Upload. Push it.

your picture should appear as a thumbnail on the album page. beneath it are several URLs.
one is labeled IMG CODE. Copy that one and paste it in your reply. the image should appear in your post.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#130068 - 04/13/08 11:33 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: Erik_B]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks Erik,

I will give this a try next weekend when I get home. If it works I will also do a couple kit reviews I have held off on posting because they are just not as good without pictures.

Mike

#137138 - 06/22/08 02:07 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: Erik_B]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

It as only taken me a little over 2 months to figure out this digatal camera thing (I think).

Attached below should be the pictures of my 2 daughters and the 2 bear cubs rescued this spring (I hope this works).

Big THANK YOU to Erik_B for walking me through the steps to post these pictures.

Mike

#137148 - 06/22/08 03:10 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: SwampDonkey]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You win the "awwwww!" contest.

#137159 - 06/22/08 05:13 PM Re: My Daughters were Mauled by Bears Tonight! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Wild, and thanks for the Pics!

What is the status of the two bear cubs now? Where are they? etc

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.