The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136760 - 06/19/08 03:13 PM Giving yourself a haircut
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Best tool(s) and practices for giving yourself a presentable haircut or at least a decent trim to extend time between barber visits?

Thanks.

#136764 - 06/19/08 03:29 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think that really depends on the kind of cut you want. If you are willing to get it really short, then a set of electric clippers is going to get you high and tight in a matter of moments. If you want something evened and thinned out all over and still a couple inches long in places, you'll need scissors too.

If you was convinced to do it yourself, use the clippers and get it to stubble. You are unlikely to get it looking right in the back with scissors.

I cut my own and others hair many times trying to get past inspection while in college.

Something like this might be good: http://consumer.wahl.com/product.cfm?sid=9&ID=87

Edited by Dan_McI (06/19/08 03:33 PM)

#136765 - 06/19/08 03:29 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dweste]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

sharp scissor and a mirror... it would be easy if you wanted a bald or shaved head, you'd never have the go to the barber again!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136777 - 06/19/08 04:01 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1 on electric clippers. I've been cutting my hair for 11 years using nothing but the clippers. These days I just cut it all to the scalp so I don't have to cut it as often. Keep them oiled and free of hair and they'll last a really really long time.

#136798 - 06/19/08 06:18 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Just get a Flowbee! (I'm kidding...)

A good set of clippers is definitely a good suggestion. You can either do an all over short buzz, or trim as appropriate.

#136819 - 06/19/08 08:20 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I used an electric clipper for a couple of years. Very, very convenient to buzz everything half an inch off the wood.

Perfect for camping too. Pour a cup of hot, soapy water over your head and you're presentable.

But does a buzz look good? It's in fashion these days, but it really depends on the shape of your head. Some guys look great. I don't, since my head is (apparently) shaped like a turnip. So I went back to regular haircuts.

But if money got tight, I'd go buzz again, and wear a great hat.

#136831 - 06/19/08 10:04 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dougwalkabout]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
I use clippers and scissors on mine for a couple years now. I find that if it's a little longer, it's more forgiving of errors. It's longer than a typical clipper cut, but he clippers really help get the back even (I use a #6 guard, which is 6/8" or 3/4"). I blend the rest with the scissors.

I started by extending time between visits, but finally just stop getting cuts altogether. That let me build courage by doing a little at a time. Also, if you only cut a little, it's easier to fix, if needed.

#136840 - 06/19/08 10:51 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few months ago I got myself a Wahl kit. All told, including tax, it came out at most of $30. It came with guide combs going from 1/16" to 1" and included taper guides for the sides.

So far I have given myself three cuts. Figure I saved about $40 so if I stop now I'm ahead of the game a bit. The first try was a bit rough but after some finagling it came out a bit shorter than planned but acceptable. As far as I can tell the snickering and laughter was well disguised.

After that it got a bit smoother. One of the tricks I learned is to start with very clean and perfectly dry hair. To work the trimmer repeatedly from all directions multiple times systematically covering the whole area.

I may go back and get a smaller trimmer to compliment the large full-power one. The large unit is hard to use to trim around the ears. One slip and you can plow a difficult to blend landing strip. A smaller and less aggressive unit might be just the thing.

If the power goes down the clipper will run well off my generator or an inverter running off a car battery. SHTF and a person with hair cutting skill, more ability than I have, could make a bit of scratch cutting hair. Working off available AC power or an inverter hooked up to a vehicle's 12v battery.

As long as people live their hair will grow. If POCO power is down air conditioning is going to be in short supply. Sweating in the heat is motivation enough for people to want their hair shorter. Short hair also uses less water, demands less attention and can help control lice.

#136873 - 06/20/08 05:36 AM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: dweste
Best tool(s) and practices for giving yourself a presentable haircut or at least a decent trim to extend time between barber visits?

Thanks.

The wife, best tool for a hair cut... probably helps she is a stylist.

And for the record I shaved my head today, from ~3/4" down to 1/8"... I look like a melon. Got rid of the beard too.

#136896 - 06/20/08 01:13 PM Re: Giving yourself a haircut [Re: dweste]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
+1 on all the clipper comments.

With a good set of clippers and the higher number guards you don't even have to do the "buzz".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.