Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129376 - 04/05/08 05:09 PM Looking at a new bag
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hi folks

Thinking about replacing my school backpack from undergrad (back in the dark ages). I'm thinking a sling bag might be a bit more professional looking, and saw this from CTD:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE401-65365-1964.html

Anyone had experience with this bag in particular, or this style in general? Wondering how tired my shoulder will be from weight on 1 side, if I can throw it over the other shoulder, if its balance is good, how much can be carried, etc.

I also like the MOLLE straps. If need be, I can attatch my car kit bags to it, and hike out of trouble (though I realize this would radically alter the ergonomics of the bag)

Thanks!

#129479 - 04/07/08 07:03 AM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MDinana]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I use an arc'tyrex quiver, which is a sling style, for light day hiking but it also has a belt to support the weight of the pack. I prefer the sling to other camelbaks that I have, but I think the waist belt makes the difference.

#129492 - 04/07/08 01:39 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MDinana]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi MDinana,

I bought a sling style backpack for my trip to Egypt back in October 2000. Its been in the back of the cupboard even since. It was useless. Best stick to a proper backpack with 2 shoulder straps as the pack feels much more secure and comfortable and distributes the weight more evenly over the shoulders.

#129496 - 04/07/08 02:55 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've had both success and failure with sling style packs. A belt is nice to keep things where they should be but some styles will always end up sliding around under your arm or in front. I'm not sure if it's the cut/design that contributes to this or the materials. I suspect that a strap which is padded and some what grippy won't have as much of a problem with this.

The other thing is that they're small and easy to over pack. They won't hold much and don't like to be heavy (it makes them want to slide around and under even more). I have one but never use it for more than a small water bladder and a bag lunch...anything more and it loses all practicality.

#129507 - 04/07/08 05:06 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MDinana]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Is this for use in "civilized areas"? If so, I would go with a messenger bag.

If not, I'd stick with a traditional backpack. Two straps and a good padded hip belt are great.

#129518 - 04/07/08 07:24 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've used campus daypack style backpacks, messenger bags, bonafide combat style frameless backpacks (what I call drop packs) for every day carry. I now use a top end swiss army bag that has a shoulder strap to carry messenger/attache style, as well as backpack type shoulder straps. IME, a regular messenger bag is usually not big enough, and not all that ergonomic, nor is the usual attache bag, although it is more convenient for New York style commutes. Daypack style backpacks aren't generally big enough for all that I like to carry (when you throw in that damnedable laptop brick). For real hoofing it, backpack style shoulder straps (over both shoulders) are a requisite for anything more than about a 5 lb load. For over 20 lbs on the hoof, a waist belt makes a huge difference.

The design you landed on seems like a good compromise, but methinks there may be a propensity towards overloading it, making shoulder fatigue a pretty important factor. Still, I see an awful lot of young kids using those daypack backpacks with just one strap slung over a shoulder; the bag being stuffed full of books and various and sundry items. Makes my back ache just imagining it.

As you get older, you look for the ergonomic conveniences more and more.

#129519 - 04/07/08 07:25 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MDinana]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Unless you're only taking one or two classes, I'd stick with two straps. They distribute the weight much better. I've had good luck w/ a laptop bag from Wenger/SwissGear. Got it at Bestbuy but they may have discontinued the exact model. I max the volume out @ 40lbs of book, notebooks, & laptop (can't fit anymore in). The only change I'd make to the one I've got would be to add a hip belt but that would only be in the way depending on how heavy the book load is MWF vs TR.

#129520 - 04/07/08 07:30 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: UTAlumnus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Sadly my swissgear bag was also discontinued, and I've found absolutely nothing that comes close to matching it.

#129533 - 04/07/08 10:46 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: benjammin

Still, I see an awful lot of young kids using those daypack backpacks with just one strap slung over a shoulder; the bag being stuffed full of books and various and sundry items. Makes my back ache just imagining it.

As you get older, you look for the ergonomic conveniences more and more.

It has turned out that we now have a generation of young adults who are suffering from back and neck problems due to overloading the little guys and gals with books for three hours of homework every night when they were in elementary school.

#129534 - 04/07/08 10:48 PM Re: Looking at a new bag [Re: MDinana]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Hi folks

I'm thinking a sling bag might be a bit more professional looking
Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out what the context of "professional" is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 632 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.