The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#129273 - 04/04/08 01:05 AM Impromptu Fishing Trip
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I had a fun and interesting activity today that was "survival training" related and thought I would share it on the Forum.

Today my work partner and I had the assignment to do some on-ice inventory on one of the large, heavly utilized tourist lakes in the area. The area was accessed by snowmobile and we had good weather, about 0*c and partly cloudy.

Around noon we left the large main lake and followed a rough trail into a very small adjacent lake, the sun came out as we arrived and we decided it was lunch time.

We parked the sleds amid where someone had been ice fishing yesterday, the holes through the 2 foot thick ice were only froze over about 1 inch. My partner (who is a serious fisherman) said "Duh, we should have brought some rods so we could fish over lunch hour".

I then remembered that in my snowmobile kit I had a small amount of fishing tackle. After some searching I found 2 spools of mono line and 2 small silver jigs, one was a Swedish Pimple, and the other was similar but I do not remember the name. We opened up the holes with an axe and my partner searched around the area for discarded minnows from the day before. He found no bait (the ravens clean that up quick here) so he put a sliver of sliced turkey sandwich meat on the small treble hook. His line was rigged for no more than a 30 seconds and a fish started nibbling at it, after a quick set of the hook he had a 12" long Brook Trout on the ice!

I had not even got my line in the water yet, so I quickly added some sliced ham to my lure, and 4 jigs later I had a twin to his fish flopping at my feet!

We figured we would get our limit easy and continued fishing for about 1/2 an hour, we even tried all the other holes in the area and we did not get another bite (trout are funny like that). So we cleaned the 2 fish and continued on with our work day.

Since it was only my teenage son and I home for supper tonight, I got both fish. I pan-fried the 2 trout and the orange-tinted flesh was delicious, of course my son said he could have eaten 4 more that size.

So, with minimal equipment and a little ingenuity you never know when/where you can find something to eat.

Thanks for listening,

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (04/04/08 01:14 AM)

#129274 - 04/04/08 01:20 AM Re: Impromptu Fishing Trip [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
I got both fish. I pan-fried the 2 trout and the orange-tinted flesh was delicious,

Mmmmmmm Nice. Now I wants to go smelt fishing. Nothing tastes better than fish taken through the ice.

of course once the ice melts I can use my boat again...

#129276 - 04/04/08 01:28 AM Re: Impromptu Fishing Trip [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds like fun. 'Cept for that 0 degree stuff, and the thick frozen water. I once caught a lake trout using some Velveta cheese from lunch, in 90 degree weather. More to my liking...

#129281 - 04/04/08 02:39 AM Re: Impromptu Fishing Trip [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Nice! Uh, except for that whole "ice" thing. You can keep all that up there.

So, is your partner going to start packing a fishing kit?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#129289 - 04/04/08 11:36 AM Re: Impromptu Fishing Trip [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies fellows,

Taurus - I agree with you that fresh fish is the best. I have netted/cleaned thousands of smelts (it is a real spring social activity here) but never really liked the taste of them. I find I have lost my patience for ice-fishing (I usually end up doing bushcraft stuff on the shoreline), but I am better in a boat because you can travel around.

OBG - Yes I am truly tired of winter this year; we have had 4 months of it so far and there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground. If crazy fish bait works (cheese, ham), then it is not crazy; I caught a walleye once on red flagging tape.

Blast - My partner usually keeps a mini-fishing kit in his sled, but him and I have an ongoing battle over other equipment.
He is a minimalist, not only for survival gear but even for work tools; I am a "gear horse" if you need it I proabally have two.

Yesterday as we were off-loading the sleds he said "If you are going to bring your giant pack, them I am not bringing mine", I just could not operate that way but he is fine with it. I did forget my Ice Extraction Picks yesterday and it bothered me all day, because we were near some thin ice at creek inlets. I put a couple of large nails (spikes) in my pocket instead but they are not as available in an emergency.

Later,

Mike

#129344 - 04/05/08 01:47 AM Re: Impromptu Fishing Trip [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Nice!!

Blitz

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.