Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122334 - 02/02/08 05:03 AM A Trilogy That I Am Reading...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have started reading a quadrilogy that a friend has turned me onto. It concerns an EMP incident that affects electronics worldwide. I will get into the book more after I finish reading them and give a comment on each book. Suffice it to say for now that there is a wee bit of farcical fantasy in the storyline.

Wicca is mentioned heavily in this book and one item that has caught my eye in particular is what is referred to as "The Eternal Stew".

An "Eternal Stew" consists of a large stew pot kept simmering over a fire at all times. As it is consumed, additional meat and vegetables, sauce(s), and water is added so that it is always ready to be consumed and refrigeration is not needed because it is kept heated and is constantly being recycled/replenished.

I would think that I would prepare enough rice, pasta noodles, cornbread, or other things to pour the stew over at mealtimes and it would be available at all times for a mid-afternoon snack, MidRats, etc.

What expertise on this custom is here at ETS, as I would like to know a few specifics about the "Eternal Stew"!!!!

#122335 - 02/02/08 06:01 AM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: wildman800]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If it starts with Dies the Fire by S.M. Sterling, I've read the first four books. I will not provide any spoilers except that the fifth in the series starts the next generation. I haven't read it yet.

#122349 - 02/02/08 01:01 PM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: wildman800]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Wildman800,

Concerning the "Eternal Stew" idea I have some experience.

I have been to many hunt camps or logging camps where the eternal stew (or it is often soup) is kept going and it is usually terrific.

But,

My lifetime best friend worked at a very run-down farm when we were in high school, the farm wife was not much of a housekeeper (I am being polite) and her husband had a good paying shift-work job off the farm, so he often came home at odd hours. In the farm house at the rear of the woodstove there was always a pot of stew and the contents varied depending on what was put in that day. The husband would often miss regular meal times so he ate this stew and was just as often sick with food poisoning; the problem was that it was not kept hot enough or just the general sanitation in the residence was bad.

My friend would always bring his lunch with him to the farm and would eat in the barn with the livestock, it was cleaner.

Later,

Mike

#122392 - 02/02/08 09:29 PM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: SwampDonkey]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I read Dies the Fire...not bad. All the blessed mother stuff got old after a bit though.... I do wanna finish the series despite the short comings of the 1st book.

#122393 - 02/02/08 09:32 PM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: Themalemutekid]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Especially the "Alien" cause of the EMP and Gunpowder failures. That's a bit too far out for me and would be a direct violation of "The Prime Directive" as issued by the "Council of Worlds"!

I am enjoying the story though.

#122414 - 02/03/08 12:58 AM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: wildman800]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
What exactly are the books in this quadrilogy? I like Sci-Fi fantasy books (along with most other books) and would like to find these for myself

#122422 - 02/03/08 01:33 AM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: REDDOG79]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The three apparently out of the five written/being written are:

Dies The Fire A Meeting At Corvallis The Protector's War

by S. M. Stirling

I don't know the names of the 4th book or the 5th book that is still being written.

#122450 - 02/03/08 11:43 AM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: wildman800]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i heard of the eternal stew at a Renn Faire last year, though I'm sure the lady called it something else, can't remember what though.
No rules or specific ingredients; just toss in whatever you've got at hand when it stew starts to get thin. I'd advise always adding ingredients to one side of the pot and serving from the other, to ensure that what you served was cooked. It's a great idea if you're running an inn, but in a survival situation, I think it would be more economical to cook food as it's needed, rather than keeping the pot simmering constantly, as the latter would consume a lot more fuel.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#122501 - 02/03/08 08:59 PM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: REDDOG79]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Original Series
Dies the Fire
The Protector's War
A Meeting at Corvallis

2nd generation
The Sunrise Lands - published September 2007
The Scourge of God - to be published Sep(?) 2008
The Sword of the Lady - to be published 2009(?)
The High King

#122503 - 02/03/08 09:27 PM Re: A Trilogy That I Am Reading... [Re: UTAlumnus]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I spend the last weeks re-reading Stirling's books, including the Nantucket serie... finished the Oceans of Eternity this evening, in fact.
And I discovered one hour ago, that Stirling was born in Metz,
France, just like me (but I then lived there for 35 years).

I'm about to order "The Sunrise Lands".
Do you know if there is any sequel to that Nantucket serie ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.