Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96095 - 05/30/07 07:32 PM Thinking outside the box
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, so this one time I take the family to a Washington State University football game in Pullman, WA. It is unseasonably hot, pushing temps into the 90s. The air is stale and the bleachers are scalding. Everywhere around us people are sucking up $2.00 bottles of water, sodas, anything to keep hydrated. We bring 4 gallons of water with us to the game, and I know that is not going to keep us cool enough. Up at the concessions, I notice carts running around delivering ice to the vendors. I stop one and ask how much a 20 lb bag of ice costs. "$3.00" is the response. Before he can blink I have the money in my outstretched hand. Back in the stands, we take turns hugging the big ice bag, occasionally dropping chunks of it into the water jugs. The girls occasionally grab a chunk and rub it on their necks and arms. When it gets low, I go up and pick up another bag. No one else around us seems to catch on that we are the only ones sitting relatively comfortably watching the game, at least for about a half hour or so, then I notice one or two others have seen us and figured it out. Yeah, I got a little wet, but I was able to stay into the game and not worry too much about whether one of us would succomb.

Anyone else have a good example like that?

#96099 - 05/30/07 07:52 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not really of myself, but I know at the Rose Bowl they start giving out water free if it gets too hot. Mainly a concern during the UCLA season (September in "the Bowl" gets over 100). I have no idea if they sell ice bags. Maybe I'll suggest it next season!

#96101 - 05/30/07 08:00 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
To quote The Waterboy, "Now that's some high-quality H2O!"

That was a great idea with the ice bags. smile

#96107 - 05/30/07 08:23 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This probably barely counts but back when tropical storm Allison hit Houston the chemical plant parking lot where I worked began flooding. I grabbed two heavy-duty garbage bags and duct-taped them to my legs. Presto, instant waders. I was able to walk through the water/chemical soup and move my car to high ground. Then I had the pleasure of carrying several female employees to their cars. grin Apparently duct-tape and pantyhose don't go well together.

When I told DW about this she really wanted to know why the ladies insisted on being carried to their cars rather than just handing me their keys.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#96114 - 05/30/07 09:09 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Scenario:
Reserved public park for a 90th birthday party.

Plan:
Provide charcoal for multiple permanently installed grills at the park so everyone can cook their own food.

Problem:
No one brought lighter fluid.

Proposed Solution:
Built a fire from fallen wood in each grill then added the briquettes.

Question asked about proposed solution:
How are you gonna build the wood fire without lighter fluid?

Answer:
You DARE question the FIRE KING!?! I should toast you right now just for asking.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#96132 - 05/31/07 01:09 AM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Benjammin,

If my geography is correct doesn't Martin Stadium have a set of bleachers that faces the west? If you were sitting on that side I would say the temp easily exceeded 100+ for the game since the hottest part of the day is usually between 2 pm and 6 pm.

This does give me an idea for those outdoor concerts at the Idaho Center in Nampa I have attended and the so-called officials will not allow anyone to bring water of your own within the outdoor arena, but the concession jerks want $5.00 per 16 oz bottle of water. For the price of one bottle of water you could get the ice and the concession kid, the one who sells the ice to you, would get a $2.00 tip. wink

#96167 - 05/31/07 12:24 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: stargazer]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I get confused about directions every time I get on that campus, but as I recall, we were facing the sun the whole of the game. We were well off to the right of the announcer's booth.

Yep, if they will sell it to you, it will definitely be worth it. As I recall, we were allowed to bring our water in NQA because it was in 1 gallon jugs purchased at the store and still sealed up. We never did run out of water, thanks to the ice melting that we kept putting into it.

#96275 - 06/01/07 02:15 AM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've been reluctant to add this, but why not....

I spent a summer living on campus when I was in college, but there was no food service. I at a lot of stuff done on a grill made out of an ammo can or cooked over a trangia. My cutting board was often several layers of aluminum foil on the trunk or hood of my car.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96291 - 06/01/07 04:13 AM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Becuase it isn't really outside of the box. It is more on the box. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96331 - 06/01/07 02:40 PM Re: Thinking outside the box [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Hey, it fits. It's all about assessing your needs, determining what can be done with what's available, and making it all work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.