Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#95821 - 05/28/07 03:00 PM EDC Multitool
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I know this question is probably for another forum, but curious about your opinions.

I'm looking for a pocket carry multitool, with a clip (not the mini sized ones, but would like the full size ones). I see leatherman leading the pack and there's SOG... But are there any other multitools out there that could be a EDC?

I need the usual items within the multi tool, needle nose pliers, knife (perfer for the knife to be one hand opening), some screw drivers, file, etc... other tools are great, but thats the minimum for me.

Would you even carry a multitool in your pocket?

Thanks,
Kris

#95822 - 05/28/07 03:03 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: Kris]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I carry a Wave on my belt whenever I'm camping/hiking, actually pretty much every weekend for various chores. During the work week, I'm dressed up, and the bat belt look doesn't work, so for EDC, I have a small multi-tool, a Leatherman Squirt P4 on my keychain.

- Ron

#95825 - 05/28/07 03:44 PM Re: EDC Multitool
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Depending on your finances, either Leatherman Wave or Victorinox Multitool. The Wave is lighter with one handed opening but the V.M is better made. I have both, and it's a toss up as to which I would reach for first.

Farther down the market, the Gerber's and S.O.G'S are probably the next choice. Everything else comes under also ran's.

Don't bother with the far east knock off's - unless you know that your likely to break it. Doug does a very interesting set of reviews on the main site. It's a bit dated but worth a read.

#95826 - 05/28/07 03:51 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: Kris]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Is there a well supplied knife retailer near you? If so, go and try the different brands and models. The feel of a knock-off of the original Leatherman design showed me the negative features of the design before getting the real thing. With that one, the thin sides where the blades folded dug into your hand while using the pliers and you had to open the pliers to use the tools.

I'd have to recommend one of the Victorinox tools. I've had several Gerber models and the Victorinox Spirit. The Spirit feels like a real pair of pliers. Gerber's slide design is nice in that it is an uncomplicated way to easily open the pliers one-handed. I don't know if Gerber has a one-handed knife blade. The Victorinox doesn't.

For me, clip carry is only for knives. Multi-tools get carried in a belt pouch. My EDC is a CRKT M-16 EDC (smaller size) with a plain edge clipped in pants pocket and the SwissChamp XLT in a belt pouch. I swap the XLT for the Spirit Plus if I expect to need tougher tools. The Plus versions have a separate 1/4" hex wrench/screwdriver bit holder included.

Edited by UTAlumnus (05/28/07 03:53 PM)

#95827 - 05/28/07 04:01 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: UTAlumnus]
Kris Offline
Addict

I wish there was a knife retailer here... I have to fly off island to the states (usually go to Florida) to have a play. Its why the questions I ask are quite general and opinion related. Much cheaper to find out this stuff then spending $400usd for a flight for a $100usd item. If an item has rave reviews, i'll just order online and take it from there.

I work dressed up as well, and the bat belt look would be a fashion faux pas! Besides the brits here would probably freak (why is he dressed like a lawyer but carrying something on his belt)!

It would most definitly have to be pocket carry, if not, then I can keep it my briefcase or bag since that never leaves my side.

I was leaning towards a knife for edc (presently, thats what i do - carry a KISS), and a multitool in the bag, but if I can have everything in one, then i'd go that route.

Would these tools be too big for pocket carry?

#95828 - 05/28/07 04:03 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: UTAlumnus]
pipedreams Offline

Loc: OK
Multitools with clips:

Leatherman:
Charge series
Wave
Surge
Kick
SideClip

SOG:
ToolClip
Micro ToolClip

None from Gerber or Victorinox (my favorite).

I can't remember any others; maybe someone else can chime in with more. I tend to carry my multi on the belt.

todd

#95829 - 05/28/07 04:07 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I EDC a SOG paratool every day, on my belt. It's small and has smoth sides also the small black cloth case is not offencive, except when I have to go in the court house. (ladies hide your nail file when you go into a Calif. court house.)

In my BOB I have a Leatherman Wave, and in my hiking kit I carry a nock-off but one of the better ones.

I don't carry my SOG Paratool in my pocket because I already have a large SAK in there and that would be too much weight.

As far as a multi tool with a clip I don't know of any, all come with cases of some type.

#95830 - 05/28/07 04:17 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: big_al]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Always a Leathermans Squirt p4 on the keychain and when not in school, a Leatherman Wave on the belt.

My vote is for Leatherman! laugh

#95834 - 05/28/07 05:06 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: JIM]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had to give up the belt holster too for work days because it scares people so I just carry my wave in my pocket.

#95835 - 05/28/07 05:47 PM Re: EDC Multitool [Re: Eugene]
Kris Offline
Addict

Eugene,

How do you find carrying the wave in your pocket? Do you have to take it out when you sit down? Too heavy? etc...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.