Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#95814 - 05/28/07 01:15 PM In memory of their service
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
On Memorial Day, I wanted to express my thanks and thoughts to families who have lost loved ones in service to our magnificent country. I know our family has been affected in past wars. I'll have our Scouts at our little town's Memorial Day service and march to the cemetaries and the wharf for services in memory of those members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard who have given their lives in defense of Liberty.

Maybe the common man who signed his name simply A. Lincoln said it best many years ago at Gettysburg:

"It is for us the living, rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- Ron

#95840 - 05/28/07 06:02 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: Be_Prepared]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Amen,,,,"There but for the grace of God, go I"

#95845 - 05/28/07 06:30 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I think a few people are beginning to realize that you must be able to separate government (and its decisions) from the country itself, as well as separating the soldiers themselves from the job they are required to do.

In the 1960s, there was a military draft to supply a large number of bodies for an unpopular and pointless war in Vietnam. The soldiers who returned alive not only had to deal with what they had seen, done (under orders), and had done to them, but they also had to face the angry shouting groups, spitting, prejudice and hatred from their fellow citizens.

Our soldiers are not, and have never been, our enemies.

Sue

#95848 - 05/28/07 06:50 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Our soldiers are not, and have never been, our enemies..."

As one of those 60's era vets, I have to say WELL SAID...

#95868 - 05/28/07 10:59 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: OldBaldGuy]
coyote Offline
stranger

Loc: 100 yds from elkhorn creek
Susan, wildman and Oldbaldguy. That was well said, And i would share my camp fire with you any time. May all the veterns both past and present find joy and happyness. And return to the land of there fathers, to be greated with joy. coyote USMC

#95871 - 05/28/07 11:52 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: wildman800]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
wildman you took the words out of my mouth, and may god grant peace to our brothers and sisters who did fall.

Edited by raydarkhorse (05/28/07 11:53 PM)

#95938 - 05/29/07 04:23 PM Re: In memory of their service [Re: NightHiker]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Yesterday, at our town's ceremony for Memorial Day, one of the students at our junior high recited the Gettysburg address. It was just funny that I had included a portion of it in my post yesterday morning. I was proud to hear one of my scouts explain to a parent during the ceremony that Lincoln wrote it, about the Civil War. THE PARENT HAD TOLD THE KID THAT IT WAS FROM A SPEECH BY JFK! Good Lord... Kennedy did some fine things as president, but, to not know the Gettysburg Address, and Abe Lincoln... (I know that I can't save the parents, but, if we get the children on the right track, I like our chances down the road.)

Anyway, we did have a fine ceremony to honor those who we have lost. After some speeches by dignitaries and a retired soldier at our elementary school, we marched to the wharf for a ceremony for those who lost their lives at sea, and then to a local cemetary for those who lost their lives on land. At each place, some words of rememberance, rifle volleys, and taps. It was kinda old fashioned, certainly had a small town feel to it, and very touching. I was glad to be part of it, and have my boys involved.

- Ron

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.