The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#92964 - 04/30/07 04:02 AM Camping and hiking part 2
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
It was a dark and stormy night...

Actually it just rained quite a bit off and on. The mountains were pretty obscured for about half the time.

Some berries along the trail.

I saw this lady bug taking shelter under my rainfly. When I stepped in close to take a picture, she took wing as I snapped.

Thanks "topknot". "Topknot" in England, made this possibles pouch for me. Then I stuffed it with stuff. Thanks "paramedicpete" for the small white pouch.

#92967 - 04/30/07 05:27 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: aloha]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i like the leather bag..if your going you may as well go
class..

#92974 - 04/30/07 06:08 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks CANOEDOGS. I just received the bag this last week so it is its maiden voyage so to speak. The mini pry bar just came in the mail too, so I thought I would shove it in there. I nevered used it though.

#93285 - 05/02/07 05:08 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: aloha]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
why nail clippers? Cuticle hygiene a big deal to you, or is there some ulterior use that the knife can't do?

#93293 - 05/02/07 07:22 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: MDinana]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I have had occasions where a nail clipper is handier than a knife or scissors. On one hike, one of the moms had a cracked nail and when I handed her my Swisstool Spirit with the scissors out, she looked at me like I was insane and went on with the cracked nail. In fact, she did tell me I was crazy. I use the SAK scissors for nail care all the time. But it is probably safer to use a clipper on your nails and cuticles than a knife. Especially for someone like the hiker mom. Also, we have lots of little kids with us on our hikes and camping trips. I rather use clippers on them, especially when they are fidgetty. In the kits I put together for the 4H kids, they each have a small nail clipper in it and a scissors. They they can open packages of stuff themselves. And my kids can cut their own nails. I am not quite ready to equip them with knives just yet. The oldest are only six. Besides, it is so small, it is no bother for me to include it.

They also have full sized tweezers in their kits. They love it and find all kinds of interesting and creative uses for it and the other stuff too. They took their packs camping and they REALLY made use of the things in there. My daughter designated herself the first aid girl and took care of all the kids owies at camp. Now I have to completely restock her first aid kit.

#93297 - 05/02/07 07:33 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Get ready for the Med School costs in the next blink of your eyes.

When camping with a group, I like to designate duties along with community gear.

Some Examples:
The designated Hospital Corpsman carries the "master FAK"
The designated Radioman carries radios (AM-FM receiver) & spare batteries.

#93299 - 05/02/07 08:07 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: wildman800]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha wildman,

We actually do divvy up who will bring what prior to, but most of the campers are newbie campers. In the past, I did all the cooking, now only maybe once or twice per trip. But I still end up making all the fires. But on this last trip, two of the other dads also tended the fire so I wasn't the only one doing it.

We are making progress. The moms are even trying there hands at setting up the tents. Then after the rains starts, they will ask, "how come water is coming into my tent?" Then I end up helping them with their adjustments and telling them what they are doing and why it is important to do it a certain way. In the case of the rain and runoff getting into the tent, we went over why the rainfly should be attached properly as we properly adjusted the attachment of said rainfly.

But good fun. And the whole group is getting better and our next one in about a month or so should probably be our biggest group so far. I am thinking 30-40 people.

#93301 - 05/02/07 08:34 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am turning green with envy, I've been trying to go camping for the last 9 months, but duty has called every month when I have been home. Please keep sharing your trips with all of us!!!!

#93436 - 05/03/07 03:30 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: wildman800]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I think our next one will be in June. I will keep you posted. Since the moms and kids really like that spot, we have been going back there. I think it has been six times in a row. I love that spot too, but aren't you guys getting tired of pictures from the same place?

#93437 - 05/03/07 03:32 AM Re: Camping and hiking part 2 [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

wildman,

you need to just schedule it as an appointment and go!! we already scheduled our june outing before we even left for our last one.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.