Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89971 - 03/31/07 01:03 AM Trauma bag
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hello,

My question is for you EMT/rescue personel out there.

I'm a SAR volunteer trained in first-aid. I'd like to build a trauma bag that I will carry to events. Nothing too fancy, I don't need to carry oxygen and an AED, but I still want a decent sized bag to carry first-aid supplies, a few water bottles, a small lunch, and maybe a light fleece jacket. Compartments seem to be a important feature.

Does this bag look decent?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EMT-EMS-FIRE-RESCUE-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't like to "flash" too much since I am not an EMT but only a first-aid provider, however I still wish to have a sizeable bag that is visible.

Any comments? Is this overkill for me? Should look for a regular duffle bag?

#89972 - 03/31/07 01:07 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Is this to be used just to carry in your car or are you going to use it during SAR missions?

#89974 - 03/31/07 01:10 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: tfisher]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Just to carry in my car to soccer tournaments, and similar events where I provide first-aid. I carry a more compact FAK in my backpack during SAR missions.

The bag will probably live in my car trunk 24/7 unless I need the trunk space.

#89977 - 03/31/07 01:16 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Ok, I think that this would work for you. I carry one similar to my medical calls(from my car to usually the patients house)Now when I am responding to a patient in remote areas I use a medical back pack.Just for ease of carry.

I do use a MAXPEDITION back pack for everyday carry for my lunch, extra cloths, water bottle, FAK, even my laptop or mp3 player depending how long a day is going to be. In other words I live out of my backpack on a daily basis (Is this a Man Purse? )

Edited by tfisher (03/31/07 01:17 AM)

#89979 - 03/31/07 01:44 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Since you aren't EMS, I would look to see if there was a way to remove or cover the EMS symbol. At night, all that gets seen is the retroflective material, and being misidentified as something you aren't could be a bad thing.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89986 - 03/31/07 02:17 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: ironraven]
SARbound Offline
Addict

I agree, though the bag still is a trauma bag equipped with adequate first-aid supplies.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll see if I can find an unbadged one but they might be harder to find.

#89990 - 03/31/07 03:07 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Another thought about markings. When I first became an EMT, and had my nice brand new state issued bag, marked CHP on one side, and EMT on the other, I was out at a crash on a rural state highway one night. Several lookieloos had stopped, and before the night was over we caught a guy trying to sneak away with the bag. He later 'fessed up that he thought that there would be drugs in it...

#89992 - 03/31/07 03:20 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Haha, that's funny. ;-) I wouldn't worry too too much about this in a soccer tournament. Oh, and I usually take good care of my stuff, I would never leave my bag unattended. The emergencies I take care of are not as important as yours.

Thinking of the star of life marking on bags again... my SAR team actually supplies large Ferno trauma bag on important events, I don't see why I couldn't have such a bag myself. It's just a first-aid bag, it doesn't really scream "I'M AN EMT!" don't it.

I looked at Plano tackle boxes in the meantime, some are nice but I presume not ideal for my needs.

#90001 - 03/31/07 04:44 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have seen paramagics using plastic tackle boxes, so don't count them out. Nice thing about them is you can label each little compartment, so you know what goes where.

Emergencies are emergencies, the bad thing about being a highway cop/EMT is that, in addition to providing aid to the injured, you have to lay flares, direct traffic, store vehicles, question witnesses and involved parties, measure skidmarks, draw diagrams, try not to get run over, etc etc etc. I never expected my EMT bag to try to walk away before that night...

#90006 - 03/31/07 05:18 AM Re: Trauma bag [Re: SARbound]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Hello everybody!
Below is a bag I've been looking at to use as a medical supply bag. I know, I know, it's a dog bag but it looks like it would work very well for my application. The included doggy items are just a bonus for our pup. Flambeau makes plastic and soft tackle boxes and their stuff is usually pretty good quality. It's a little smaller than the bag Bee found. It's Total size (L/W/D): Approx. 13x13-¾x9-½”

smitty
Flambeau Dog Training Accessory Bag

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 269 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.