The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87165 - 03/02/07 06:59 PM Death Valley Field Trip
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Hey, I'm going on a field trip with the Geology department at my school to Death Valley. I was wondering if anyone who's been there or lives near there has any advice on kit I need to bring or other preps I need to make over and above a normal camping trip.

#87169 - 03/02/07 07:27 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
AS much water as you can comfortably carry, proper clothing & boots, sun hat's(2), sun glasses (2 pairs) signal mirror, compass and a decent map for each member of the trip. Insist on a proper safety briefing on the does and don't of a desert enviroment. Institute a buddy, buddy no lone zone policy.
To me, somewhere like Death Valley can never be described as a "normal" camping trip. Simply because the enviroment is so extreme.

#87171 - 03/02/07 07:42 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
For about two years I lived in Amargosa Valley, about 20 miles from Death Valley. I worked in an underground mine that actually mined under Death Valley. So listen to me when I tell you this:

Take WATER. LOTS OF WATER. Keep it in your vehicle, carry it on you. Filters and purification tablets are of marginal value, because there is nothing to filter or purify. There is a reason it is called DEATH Valley. You will notice that almost everything out there is named after something related to Death (Funeral Mountains, Devil's Golf Course, Dante's View, etc.)

If you are going to be there in the summer, it is dry and incredibly hot (120-130F range. If I remember right the record is 134.)

Also, make sure your vehicles are in tip-top shape. The heat is hard on them, and there are several places where you are driving up hill at a 5% to 7% grade for miles. If you are driving an older car I can guarantee you that if you leave your air conditioner on, you will overheat going from Furnace Creek (elev -100ft) to Death Valley Junction (elev. approx 2000 feet)During the summer, it wasn't unusual to run across stranded cars every day on my commute to and from the mine. Put a couple of gallons of anti-freeze in each vehicle, and of course, did I mention WATER.

Also keep in mind, if you find yourself in a survival situation, and you DO find water, be very careful. Many of the so-called water holes contain water that will make you sick. There are a lot of minerals out there, and the few places that do have ground water tend to have water that is VERY HIGH in mineral content. Not sure how filters work on minerals etc. Maybe someone else here with more expertise can comment.

Other things you will really want include hat, sunglasses, bandana and lots of sunscreen, especially if you are out rock hunting all day.

Other dangers include poisonous snakes and believe it or not, single car rollovers. The roads were built in the early part of the 20th century and can be dangerous.

Having said all that, DV is incredibly scenic and it is a Geologist's dream. Hope you enjoy the trip. Just remember.

BRING WATER.

#87175 - 03/02/07 08:40 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
FRERAD1776 Offline

In addition to WATER and hats etc. I always carry a lightweight tarp, poles and cordage. If stranded for any reason you must have a way to get out of the direct sunlight even to the extent of digging a trench to get to cooler ground below the tarp.

Triple the amount of water you THINK you will need.

#87178 - 03/02/07 08:56 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: DesertFox]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I'll be going in about a week, so we shouldn't be hitting 120 degree weather, still after Wyoming the heat is sure to be a shock. I was already planning on bringing my webgear with two quart canteens, but I think I'll add my camelback to that now.

#87196 - 03/03/07 12:18 AM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I was camping there around this time last year (I think around Feb-March). Even though it's not summer time, you still have to be prepared for temperature extremes. I camped out up in one of the higher campgrounds, and when i woke up there was a little bit of snow on the ground. Less than an hour later, I was down in the valley (at the aptly named Furnace creek) where it was 85 degrees, and still getting warmer. Next day I was exploring one of the old ghost towns on the outskirts of Death valley, and it was snowing hard again. So don't be surprised by 50-60 degree temperature variations.

Hat, water, sunscreen, water, lip balm, water, and warm clothes are a definite must for this time of year. Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention water. Sunglasses and a bandana were nice to have standing at the top of Ubehebe, because it was really windy up there. Depending where you're going, there's probably going to be little or no shade, and the air is pretty dry. It just sucks the moisture out of your skin. Other than that, it's a great place. It's probably fairly busy right now, and as long as you stay where most of the tourist are, you probably aren't going to have much of a problem. Oh yeah, most everything in Death Valley is pretty spread out, so you'll probably be spending a lot of time driving from one place to another, so prepare accordingly

If you're planning on visiting the Racetrack, then you'll need a lot more stuff. The easiest road leading there is a rough 30 mile dirt road from the main highway, so don't get stranded like that family did last year and had to walk out. But it's definitely worth the drive.

#87206 - 03/03/07 03:37 AM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: ducktapeguy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
In addition To all of the outher great information you have been given, 1 little bit of wisdom, Everything you touch at Death Valley will eather bite you or stick you.

#87210 - 03/03/07 04:12 AM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you go here you will get the official weather info, including forecasts, from Death Valley. That might give you some hints as to what to expect, at least as far as the weather is concerned. In addition to the hints given by the others, be sure to take a good camera, with lots of film, or space on the chip...

#87239 - 03/03/07 04:23 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Yeah. Definitely take the Camelback.

And one other thing to keep in mind if you are camping. When you put your shoes on in the morning shake them out first to make sure no scorpions have taken up residence during the night. A hiking buddy of mine learned that the hard way.

I've also heard stories of rattlesnakes crawling into unattended sleeping bags. Never personally witnessed that though.

Sleep tight. smile

#87258 - 03/03/07 11:25 PM Re: Death Valley Field Trip [Re: AROTC]
jmacclau Offline
Stranger

Be wary of rain and wind. Watch the clouds and if rain comes it can cause floods which can wash you off the road. I was at Bad water and had a difficult time standing in the wind. Check out the museum in Furnace Creek for excellent info. Beautiful place but aptly named.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.