Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#86926 - 02/28/07 01:26 PM Safety pin saves the day!
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
From Comcast news:

Quote:
Pin for Torn Jacket Was Teen's Salvation
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 27, 9:51 PM

BRADENTON, Fla. - Clay Moore's mother and stepfather don't want to think about what might have happened if they hadn't made him repair his ripped school uniform jacket instead of buying him a new one.

A safety pin from the torn jacket's sleeve _ and the 13-year-old's composure in frightening conditions _ freed him after a gunman kidnapped him, duct-taped his wrists and left him deep in thick woods 20 miles from home, the boy's stepfather said Tuesday.

Clay put the pin in his mouth, picked away at the tape and walked away hours after he was taken. He found a farmworker in a field and called his stepfather, Steve Kelle, from the man's phone, "as calm as if he was calling from a friend's house," Kelle said.

Clay's mother, Traci Kelle, recalled getting the call notifying her that Clay had been snatched as he stood with about a dozen children at a bus stop on Friday.

"I can't put into words how absolutely horrifying it was when we received the news," she said. "But I have to say when I got this phone call (that he was safe), it was the best thing that ever happened in my life."

Clay was abducted at his bus stop in Parrish, 40 miles south of Tampa, by a man authorities believe was 22-year-old Vicente Ignacio Beltran-Moreno. He is wanted on local warrants alleging armed kidnapping and aggravated assault and a federal warrant charging unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Investigators were trying to establish why Clay was targeted, but it appeared that he was selected at random.

Kelle, Clay's stepfather, said the boy told him he was nervously playing with the pin in the kidnapper's truck and put it in his mouth because "he just thought it would be helpful."

The gunman took the arts school student to a remote, wooded area, tied him up, stuck a sock in his mouth and left him.

Clay spit out the sock and the pin, and used a stick and his mouth to retrieve the fastener from the ground, Kelle said. He picked at the duct tape binding his wrists until he could get them loose.

"We are truly proud of Clay," Kelle said, standing next to the diminutive teen at a news conference. "He did an incredible job on his own. He kept his head about him."

Clay didn't speak to reporters and didn't appear too rattled by the dozen or so TV cameras. At one point as his stepfather spoke, the teen sat and held hands with his mother.

Manatee County Sheriff Charlie Wells said his agency is working with the FBI and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to track down Beltran-Moreno, who became the suspect after investigators took an artist's sketch of Clay's abductor to the migrant worker camps east of Bradenton. Several migrants said it was Beltran-Moreno, a former farmworker who still had many friends in the camps.

The truck suspected of being used in the kidnapping was found outside the home believed to be Beltran-Moreno's, detectives said. They also found a ransom note with threats, though they would not say where it was found or what it demanded.

Wells would not say where they think Beltran-Moreno, a native of Mexico, might be, but said he was "extremely optimistic" he would be caught.

Simply amazing. The kid was grabbed right from his bus stop.

You never know when that safety pin can come in handy. I wonder if it would have been easier had he been carrying a small pen knife.

#86955 - 02/28/07 04:52 PM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: Paul810]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Glad he made it out OK. It seems to me that if he could pick at the tape with a pin, he could have gotten his teeth into it, but then I wasn't there.

You never can tell what might happen to you, and what might help you out of a problem...

#87001 - 03/01/07 02:22 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: Paul810]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I pretty sure carrying a knife, no matter what size, to school is not a good idea these days.

#87007 - 03/01/07 02:56 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: hercdoc]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: hercdoc
I pretty sure carrying a knife, no matter what size, to school is not a good idea these days.

Funny how we've come full circle on that. There was a time when a pen knife was required at school (which is actually the origin of the name). Now kids get in trouble for nail clippers. frown

#87008 - 03/01/07 03:07 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: Paul810]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

I wish I still had my old Barlow knife that my Dad gave me when I was eight. I still have the scar on my left index finger to remind me of the "good ole days"!

#87011 - 03/01/07 03:13 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: hercdoc]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Let me guess, you are a southpaw, and the non-locking blade folded up and got you. You should see my right index...

#87014 - 03/01/07 03:27 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Actually I was trying to drill a hole in a piece of bamboo (trying to make a flute/whistle)with the knife blade and while holding bamboo in my left hand the blade slipped and sliced open my finger. No stitches but lots of blood and tears. Lesson learned...always put wood on a work bench when drilling into it.

#87019 - 03/01/07 04:02 AM Re: Safety pin saves the day! [Re: hercdoc]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Oh. I won't bore you with the old puncture scar on my thigh from using it like a work bench...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 412 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.