Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#76769 - 11/13/06 05:40 PM Dutch Oven Recipes
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Has anybody got a Dutch Oven Recipe that they would share? I just got an oven and want to try it out.

#76770 - 11/13/06 08:54 PM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hers a few hints sans recipes. A. Get a whisk broom and a gonch hook. B. the optimum temperature of 350 is @ 5 seconds of holding your hand above ( not on like an idiot I tried to teach) the lid before discomfort.C. Buy some tortillas to match your oven size. While your learning to cook with the thing toss one in the bottom. It's cheap insurance to prevent scorching your meal. If you don't scorch it, eat it. D. Use wooden utensils or you'll damage the oven seasoning layer. If you overseason your oven, or are just unfortunate to let it go sour from improper storage, a splash of natural apple cider vinegar will kill the nasties.

#76771 - 11/13/06 09:41 PM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
As a novice Dutch ovener I've been using this site a lot.

My best DO recipe book though is a re-written version of an 1830's Texas pioneer cookbook. I bought it at a "living history" event recently. If you have any such events near you check them out. They have a ton of useful cooking tips (among other skills).

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#76772 - 11/13/06 09:50 PM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks for the website tip !!! It looks FANTASTIC!! You're alright BLAST, I don't care what others say (Hahaha)

#76773 - 11/14/06 03:08 AM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'm fixing to put together a dutch oven and camp cooking cookbook here soon as I get back in the states and situated. Everything from lasagna to quiche to pot roast to cheesecake, but most of the recipes a little more authentic and easier to prepare.

I'll pm with ya and we can elaborate if you're interested.

#76774 - 11/14/06 03:14 AM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Have you checked into joining the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society, or attend one of the DOGs (dutch oven gatherings)? They are pretty popular all over the state, and very supportive.

I live for dutch oven and camp cooking.

#76775 - 11/15/06 05:51 AM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
When you first start using a DO, there are two rules: Keep checking the contents, and whatever distance from the coals you think is right is probably too close.

Sue

#76776 - 11/15/06 06:39 AM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you do some google searches you will find a lot of info on Dutch Oven cooking. Using regular charcoal briquettes instead of campfire coals lets you regulate the heat a lot easier. Many recipes you find on the net will specify how many briquettes under and on top of the oven.

Be sure to use nothing harder than a plastic scrubber with boiling water to clean your oven, and always coat it with oil after use. If you get a spot of rust inside, Coke will eat it off (and we drink that stuff!)...

#76777 - 11/15/06 01:34 PM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Bennjammin,

Thanks for the tip on the LSDO, I went to their website and found some good info. Unfortunately that don't have any gatherings planned for my neck of the woods any time soon.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#76778 - 11/16/06 08:29 PM Re: Dutch Oven Recipes
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Hi Wildman800, I found this recipe in Guideposts magazine. It requires a great deal of preparation, and 12 hours of cooking over a low fire, but it sounds absolutely worth it. I haven't been able to try it yet, though.

The fellow who came up with this is a retired blacksmith who crafted his own dutch oven and cast iron cookware himself. Apparently when he gets cooking over a campfire he attracts everyone from other campsites.

CAMPFIRE CAFE'S BEEF BRISKET

Ingredients:
3 to 4 lbs. beef brisket
1/4 C. paprika
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. thyme
1 tbsp. basil
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tbsp. Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
14 in. deep Dutch oven

Directions:
Mix spices together then dry rub the meat. Coat with Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, rubbing in carefully. Refrigerate for 3 to 5 days. Place meat trivet in bottom of Dutch oven. Place brisket fat-side up on trivet. Cover and hang low over fire to get the pot hot. When meat starts to sizzle, raise to the highest hook and cook over low fire approximately 12 hours or overnight. When it's done, throw it on the grill to crisp the outside. Slice brisket. Pour juices from the pot over meat. Feeds 10.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 540 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.