Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76206 - 11/05/06 10:09 PM What do you know about trekking poles?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
After this weekend's hike/climb, during which I used a heavy staff for a walking stick, I definitely need some trekking poles if I'm going to continue hiking and climbing, and also for snowshoeing, which I'd like to try this winter. I did some recon at EMS today, and it looks like I want three section, spring loaded-anti shock and either foam or rubber grips. Am I on the right track? Any makes models that stand out, or ones I should avoid?

#76207 - 11/06/06 01:00 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I am a recent convert myself. Before I always hiked without them, thinking that the poles would get in the way.
As I got older, I realized that my knees were giving out on me,. On my last hike to the top of Mt. Whitney, hiking poles made a huge difference: I was able to go down the mountains with ease, and my uphill speed increased dramatically.
I have Black Diamond hiking poles. They are easy to adjust if you are switching from uphill to downhill, unlike the Leki kind.
Here is an old knee support/hiking poles thread

#76208 - 11/06/06 01:29 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Never treked with poles until last may everest trip... I asked around same question you did and ended up getting Leki titanium three section with foam/cork grips. Amazing. Took big load of my knees and made balancing easier. It seems thal Leki Maccau are the most preffered poles out there.

#76209 - 11/06/06 03:37 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
Lance_952 Offline

Being new to “real” hiking, and some what cheep, I picked up a Swiss gear pole from wall-mart. And I must say it served me well this summer and fall.

#76210 - 11/06/06 02:19 PM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
I have a pair from REI made by Leki. They're fabulous, for all the reasons indicated. I also have a 3rd identical pole (long story, but let's just say that Leki stands behind their products!) that I keep in my truck so that I have a good staff available should the need arise.

This past summer, I loaned #3 to a friend with a bad ankle as we bushwhacked to a cliff in S. Ky to rappel. Afterwards, he swore that he wouldn't have been able to make the hike without the pole, & has started shopping for a set for himself.

I'm continually amazed at how helpful they are whenever I use them. Are they a bit of trouble to manage? Sure, at times, but so is my 5 foot hickory staff. Are they worth the trouble? Abolutely!

David

#76211 - 11/06/06 09:18 PM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Not only does the obvious knee pain reduction apply, but also they really help with balance. 4 legs is better than 2 in a lot of situations. Especially crossing creeks; wading or boulder hopping. Other uses? Tarp shelter poles, medical splint, shooting sticks, an impromptu weapon, snow probes, camera bi-pod, and countless others I’ve never heard of I’m sure.

Buy the tougher back country poles. Many are not designed for horizontal weight loads that come with backcountry use (i.e., getting up from falls or use in snow.)

Sections make them compact, but more moving parts have more parts to fail (I still use a 3 section pole). Anti-shock is a debate. They squeek and ping because of the springs/bushings even when turned off. I have poles with anti-shock but I keep them turned off because I don't like the squishy feeling they give.

Foam is not as tough as rubber and tends to get slippery, dirty, and funky. Rubber is tougher and easier to clean. Some cheaper rubber is pretty slippery though. Wrist straps help, but I'm afraid of them. If I take a fall, I want those poles as far from me as they can get.

I use Leki Super Makalu Ergos and like them a lot. I like the Black Diamond poles too and a lot of people like the ease of the flick lock system BD uses.

I have tons of information and tips on trekking poles so if you have more questions send me a PM. The most important thing you can do is NOT lubricate them. Ever. The locks are based on friction. You lube them and they will colapse. They are a pain, or impossible to de-grease.

Hope this helps.

#76212 - 11/07/06 02:25 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I bought a pair of Leki Super Makalu. They had rubber grips, wrist straps, and anti-shock. I didn't like the anti-shock. I tried it over several hikes, but couldn't get used to it. Wrist straps are great for general hiking. I think they make a difference when used properly. I didn't use them for scrambling over rock falls. Afraid of falling and breaking my wrist. The rubber grips gave me blisters one time while hiking long distance in the rain. Changed my grip after that and no more problems. They really helped me out on a backpacking trip, from a knee problem. The light weight and multiple sections make them easy to carry (or pack in your checked luggage). Spend a little less and avoid the anti-shock. Mountainsmith makes an economical lightweight aluminum pole without anti-shock.

Finding info on correct height adjustment, how to tell right from left on the Leki, etc can be tricky.

Foam grips are comfortable when new, but I'm not sure how long they will last. The rubber grips (or cork) will give you the most life.

#76213 - 11/07/06 02:57 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
My trekking pole is a straight young Aspen tree, well aged and pealed, nothing else on the pole except a leather thong used as a wrist strap. light strong and can be used to start a fire by shaving the lower part. you can use a cane end for the bottom for a better grip, but I have found the bare end works just fine.

#76214 - 11/07/06 03:36 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
How much does it weigh?

#76215 - 11/07/06 04:03 AM Re: What do you know about trekking poles?
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
The pole is 62in. long 1/2 at the bottom and 1 1/2 in at the top. my bathroom scale won't give me a reading, but it is about the same as a small cell phone. not much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.