Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7780 - 07/25/02 05:39 PM New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Forum members,<br><br>I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Jay Abramson, I am a registered nurse specializing in dialysis. I have been (and still am) an armchair survival enthusiast for many years, especially when I lived in the Los Angeles area. Now living in Florida, hurricanes get my attention.<br><br>I stumbled on to this site via a Google search and I believe I have found a new home. It is absolutely great to read the various posts about a multitude of subjects, without the negative “Survivalist” connotations. Congrats to all for keeping it a positive, accepting, open area for discussion.<br><br>I have found the chat on PSK’s to be interesting and fun. In some respects it appeals to my somewhat whacked sense of humor. Eventually, we’ll be trying to put a PSK in one of those little metal aspirin tins that hold a few tablets (Uh oh, hope I didn’t start something! ;>)<br><br>I am in the process of assembling some photos and will try to mount a web page specifically for this group that will show some of the items I have accumulated through the years that may be of interest and may spark further ideas and discussion. <br><br>Forgive the long post, I won’t be as wordy in the future!<br><br>Thanks to all for sharing experiences and knowledge. I hope to be able to contribute as well.<br><br>Jay<br>

#7781 - 07/25/02 06:20 PM Re: New Kid in Town
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome to the forum Jay. Actually, I am quite intimite with a aspirin tin's applications. I open one up, ingest the contents,brace myself firmly in my chair with feet stirruped in my oak desk and key on SURVIVAL FORUM. If there is a new post "What is the best survivalknife" , I open a second tin ;O)

#7782 - 07/26/02 01:03 AM Re: New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome Jay, but you have GOT to learn to be more careful in the future! You have now given Chris another challenge and he is going to be up all night for weeks figuring a way to get a reasonble PSK into an aspirin tin. (the damnable thing is that it is even money he'll come up with a way to do it ). <br><br>take care

#7783 - 07/26/02 01:06 AM Re: New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

>> If there is a new post "What is the best survivalknife" , I open a second tin<<<br><br>So... um, ah... what IS the best survival knife???<br><br>Please keep in mind when making recommendations that I intend to carry it in my boot, because I'll be on school property a lot... also, I'm thinking about joining a swim team. Does anyone have any suggestions for inconspicuous ways to carry a PSK when wearing only a Speedo?<br><br>Sorry. :-)

#7784 - 07/26/02 02:07 AM Re: New Kid in Town
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Best survival knife at the moment is a plastic disposable one. I have peanut butter and jelly in my keyboard :O(

#7785 - 07/26/02 03:17 AM Re: New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, you could try that stuff they sell at janatorial supply houses for chewing gum. You spray and freeze the stuff then chip it off. <br><br>BTW Happy System Administrators Week!!

#7786 - 07/26/02 03:28 AM Re: New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ive got some advice about hurricanes. Leave before it gets there. I saw Charleston the day after Hugo and I took (believe it or not) my seaplane checkride in the outer bands of Opal in October 95. Yes, I was terrified. If anyone doesnt believe that I (and the FAA man) was that stupid....check the FAA database. Its a matter of public record. <br> Other than that....welcome. Im fairly new myself.

#7787 - 07/26/02 01:24 PM Re: New Kid in Town
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a resident of coastal NC, my office is only two blocks from the ocean in Atlantic Beach, I have survived about six hurricanes since moving to the area. The first storm, we left and went to Raleigh. They actually had a worse time there with flooding, power loss, and downed trees than we had at the coast. Two friends went inland, seperately, and their cars were damaged by falling trees in motel parking lots.<br>Since then, we have sheltered in place in our house and done quite well. We discussed evacuating for Floyd, as all of the hype predicted old testament devastation. By the time we secured our house and business, the traffic jams inland prevented our departure. We were fine.<br>Current FEMA recommendations are to "hide from wind and run from water". If you are in an area prone to flooding get out. If you are in a structure with wheels that attracts tornados or is easily damaged by wind, get out. If you are in a sturdy house and are in an area not likely to flood with storm surge, equip yourself and prepare to survive in place.<br>All bets are off, in my opinion with a strong Cat 4 or any Cat 5 storm.

#7788 - 07/26/02 02:46 PM Re: New Kid in Town
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Jay,<br><br>Cool, another newie to compare hurricane preps with! I've been living in the Houston, Texas area for six years now and hurricanes are high on my threat list. One thing I've learned though is that tropical depression powered storms can be even worse. I got to see first hand a bunch of 18-wheelers tossed like toys on I-10 when "Allison" came through last year. The flooding seemed almost biblical at the time...<br><br> -Mark (who recently learned to keep Midol in his PSK!)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#7789 - 03/11/03 04:07 PM Re: New Kid in Town
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Blast: Do you know of any good survival stores in Texas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.