Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9722 - 10/03/02 04:37 AM Hurricane!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Peanut and all of our Gulf Coast members- stay safe!

#9723 - 10/03/02 06:30 AM Re: Hurricane!
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Thanks Chris!<br>We're bugging out to a safer place here in town in the AM (I am avbout 120 miles from landfall). Peanut is staying put, and if it hadn't been for the winds across I-55, we would have gone over to join him at his place.<br>But now that this thing is upon us, it is interesting how your planningkicks into high gear (no pun intended...). How much gear to take? Will we have to go to a shelter? Bedding? Food? What valuables must we take (insurance papers, etc.)? Will water be in short supply? Can we get it all, and us, in a Honda CRV? Etc., etc. But all that is past us. The house is set, the car is packed. Now, it's a waiting game. The wife and kids are sleeping, and I am on the Net monitioing the NOAA NHC site<br><br>Awaiting the inevatible coming in the morning.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br>

#9724 - 10/03/02 02:28 PM Re: Hurricane!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My prayers are with you all. Godspeed and be safe.

#9725 - 10/03/02 07:02 PM Re: Hurricane!
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Well Thor, the prayers worked. For us further inland, that is. Many thanks.<br>Lili, or what is left of her, is here now. And I still have electricity and 'Net access. After hearing the NOAA/NHC stats, we decided to stay put. All we are getting now is a light drizzle, some hearty gusts, and the local news folks trying desperately to fill up all this time thay had blocked out to cover our impending doom. The latter is the most pitiable, actually. So, all that planning and packing we did was for naught. But so is insurance, if you don't need it. But when you do........ Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and prayers. All the best from Red Stick. .....CLIFF

#9726 - 10/04/02 04:10 PM Re: Hurricane!
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Chris, Thanks for your concern, we appreciate it. We had just been through Isadore. We weren't concerned about winds with him, just flooding. Being in emergency, I still had to work. Closed roads were an annoyance. I actually didn't need my map, I just asked the cops at roadblocks about alternates. I got to work about 15 min late. Lessons - 1) have a local map. you might not need it, but who knows. Do this even if you grew up there. 2) leave early if you must travel. 3)Be flexible in your plannung and preparations, the unexpected WILL occur.<br><br>After our positive experience with Isadore, we watched Lili. She was to be a Cat 2 going into west Louisiana, no problem. I was napping Wed at about 2 when my wife came in from work. She told me Lili was now Cat 4 and shifting east. Oh [censored]. Lesson - 4) storms do what they want, prepare accordingly. We topped off our supplies, checked forecasts and made decisions. It looked like we were going to be on the eastern edge of the beaten zone. Because she suprised us, any evacuation would be last minute and the roads would be clogged. So we decided to stay local. We have animals and they aren't allowed in shelters. We also live in apartments. I fugured out that south winds would be our main problem and we have another apartment between us and the wind. So we stayed. <br><br>Lili decided to peak early and shift back to the west. So we dodged a bullet. For most of the worst of the storm, I sat outside in my front door alcove. We lost power at 0530. I just listened to reports on my radio, and read a Crichton book. Even though it wasn't as bad as we expected, it was impressive. At 0615, I heard a loud crash NW. Later we discovered a huge old oak had fallen through the parish hall of a church a block away Lesson 5) If a tree falls in Hammond, and no one sees it, it DOES make a noise. Power was back by noon, The wife and I even kept appointments to get our hair cut at 4 that afternoon. So we're doing quite well.<br><br>Overall lesson - 6) Don't get cocky, you can still be caught - literally - napping.<br><br>Also pay attention to news, but take it with a grain of salt. TV types have to fill airtime, even if they're saying nothing or are misleading. And it gets worse the farther the media is from home. The national types would have you think that Isadore destroyed us, let alone Lili.<br><br>Again, thanks for the concern. And thanks to you, Doug, and all our posters here. Even though I've been going through storms for lots of years, I've learned a lot here. That makes handling these situations much easier.<br><br>Peanut

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.