Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281235 - 07/06/16 10:29 AM Question for everyone. . .
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Given we have a wide ranging assortment of people and survival skills, It would be interesting to hear a little from everyone on this.

What Survival situation would you feel MOST comfortable in?

and;

What Survival situation would you feel LEAST comfortable in?

For example, myself, I would feel most comfortable in a Wooded area, followed by Sonoran desert. (Preferable in Spring) I spent my summers in a small town in Western New Mexico called Glenwood during the late 60's and early 70's. .The Gila National forest surrounds the area, and not too far from the Sonoran either. It is also where my interest in survival came about. .

While I would be least comfortable in Sea or Arctic situations as I have never been exposed. Needless to say, it is a skillset I do not have.

Please share your thoughts. .

#281238 - 07/06/16 05:54 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I feel most comfortable in wooded areas.

I have extensive experience with ocean survival gear and how to adapt that equipment. I don't go above treelines as a general rule, due to zero mountain climbing knowledge and there's very little in the way of food, above the tree lines. I have had extreme cold weather training and some experience.

I feel the least comfortable in desert areas. My knowledge of desert survival consists solely of what I learned from Louis L'Amour westerns!

Edited by wildman800 (07/06/16 05:56 PM)

#281239 - 07/06/16 06:06 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'd be most comfortable in the woods, especially boreal forests like the ones I grew up near. This would go double if we're talking near lakes and streams.

Ocean survival would be my biggest nightmare. I'd be pretty uncomfortable in a desert situation as well.

#281259 - 07/07/16 06:01 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
I would feel most comfortable in a survival situation where I was by myself or with only one or two other people. I'd be least comfortable in a survival situation involving a large group of people.

Having to deal with all of the different personality types is a big drag for me when something needs to get done. I'm not a fan of consensus decision making, since it wastes valuable time getting everybody on the same page. Unfortunately (for me}, I tend to see the stupidity and uselessness of people before I can discern their abilities that may aid me in my task. I know my own abilities and capabilities, but when it comes to others, I'm a "prove it to me" kind of guy.

Emotions tend to get in the way of getting things done as far as I'm concerned (much to the chagrin of my wife). I'd fail miserably at the show "Survivor" since it's more about competing than actually "surviving". Yes, I'm a curmudgeon. But I get things done.

#281265 - 07/08/16 02:46 AM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Most comfortable? Power outage at home. (Well some folks think that's a survival situation.....)

Least comfortable (in order of decreasing discomfort) - sea, polar, swamp, jungle, northern deep woods I don't venture into any of them so hopefully I'll not get tested. (my seagoing days are long past)

#281277 - 07/08/16 05:40 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Growing up in a big city, Dallas, I learned how to deal with surprises and the unexpected and how to avoid situations.

Jeanette Isabelle

#281288 - 07/10/16 06:09 AM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Most: Probably urban earthquake or large scale loss of utilities. That's what my bug-in preps are based on, and that's probably where my professional skillset (mechanical engineer) could be an asset.

Least: Refugee.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281291 - 07/10/16 05:22 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I would feel most comfortable at Costco.

It's July on the east coast so I'd feel least comfortable anywhere without air conditioning and bug spray.

#281297 - 07/10/16 11:10 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm most comfortable in the survival situation where I'm having some sort of smoked fish and I run out of a good dry red wine to pair it with.

#281306 - 07/11/16 10:12 PM Re: Question for everyone. . . [Re: WesleyH]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
For me.

Northern coniferous forests which includes Pacific northwest forests.
I have spent almost all my life in this environment and feel completely at home in it and have the skill sets to survive. Lost of wildlife, shelter and plants to ensure a good chance of survival.

Grasslands/ semi arid desert.
North of here, there is large region of this type of environment. It is on the leeward side of the coast mountains and so receives little rain and enjoys hot arid temperatures during the summer and depending on altitude, very little cold and snow during the winter. As this environment is much the same as the high desert areas of the USA, in many ways it is also different and supports a large variety of wildlife and habitat. Also water is not all that scarce and many areas have year round supply of it.

Pacific coast shore
If I had to pick one environment to survive, it would be the Pacific coast. Here we have world renown and year round salmon stocks, tens of various other fish species, several crab and clam species, kelp, seaweed and other shore vegetation along with waterfowl, small and large game. Here I can take a small aluminum boat out into the ocean bay and with very minimal gear and time, have enough food to eat every day to survive indefinitely. The weather can be wet during the winter months but survivable with the right shelter.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.