The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271805 - 09/24/14 06:12 PM Knives
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am sure that I can go back and search the thread history to get this answered. But I would appreciate you opinion.

I would like to read your thoughts on the best knife blade for a backcountry knife that can be used in a survival situation or hunting.

#271808 - 09/24/14 07:56 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
yee Offline

I think the best knife is one that you can carry on your person at all times. The particular knife differs from person to person. The "best" knife that there is isn't going to help you when you fall off the kayak and crawl to shore soaking wet. It only counts if you can keep it on your person at all times. It also has to be legal in your expected locations.

===

I decided to EDC a lanyarded "cat" knife.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/K55/merc...teel-army-issue

I can keep it nice and sharp. It is small and inobtrusive. Works well. Most importantly, I am comfortable using it. Only downside is that it is carbon steel and isn't as pretty. Oops.

===

Backup EDC is my Leatherman. Unfortunately, I have not figured out a way to keep a lanyard on the Leatherman.

===

In my pack, I keep a cheap Mora. Nice and light.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion...p;keywords=mora

===

I retired my old Buck 110 since it was a bit bulky on my belt in addition to my Leatherman.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-110BRS-Fld-Hu...ywords=buck+110

===

I own a wonderful Rodan Condor but it is too heavy to carry around.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-5-25-Inch-Polypropylene-Handle-Leather/dp/B002CBWQ0C

===

I suppose I will regret not having a heavy knife if I have to baton something but I am trying to reduce pack weight. There is no need to fetishize a $300 knife. Its JUST A KNIFE! I am not going to fight the Japanese in the Guadalcanal.

#271811 - 09/24/14 08:37 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I carried a Swiss Army knife for many years before purchasing my first Leatherman. I now EDC a Wave. Both have been perfectly for required tasks. For me, a knife has been most critical when on a boat, regardless of size, or when scuba diving.

The most important characteristics of a knife carried for emergency purposes is that it be situated so that it is quickly and easily at hand when needed and that it be adequately sharp. I have about thirty blades ranging from a machete to a SAk Classic and they have all come in handy at times, but something with a blade 4" or so is probably the most versatile.

#271813 - 09/24/14 08:42 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
My short answer would be the Fallkniven F1. I feel this is a near-perfect all-around outdoors knife that is more than tough enough for any survival situation you could find yourself in.

For a more detailed explanation of why I choose this knife, check out a post of mine from a couple years back: Choosing MY knife. It outlines the attributes I felt were important in a knife and ultimately how that led me to the F1. Of course, you may have some different needs or priorities than me which may make the near-perfect knife for me less than optimal for you. For example, I'm not a hunter so I don't know how to judge how well this particular knife would fit in that role.

#271834 - 09/25/14 03:17 AM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I agree with the comment that your best practical knife is the one you have with you all the time. Therefore, a folding knife or a short fixed blade knife. The folder is particularly easy to carry.

Look around - there are lots of knives that will do the job. try going to a local knife store so you can see many choices. the knife is primarily a tool - so get a simple strong blade - no cutouts or holes.

Pete

#271848 - 09/25/14 03:57 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
carry multiples, carry quality. find things that fit your hand and you like. brand not important as long as its well made. fixed blades need high quality sheaths.

i carry a SAK, a single-blade locking folder, and sometimes a 4-5" kydex-sheathed fixed blade. in the vehicle i keep a kydex-sheathed 10" camp knife "just in case".

#271850 - 09/25/14 04:43 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like others, I have a number of knives, folders and fixed blades. I bought the larger (10") blades with the PNW cascade range in mind. While their main attribute is size, they stay in the truck because of that size. They are much more capable in some tasks, but if you won't keep them hanging from your belt while hiking, they are at best a camp knife and not a survival knife.

Large format SAK's (Rucksack/Trekker), locking folders and smaller fixed blades are what I carry on my belt/pocket. A Leatherman MT is in my backpack.

#271851 - 09/25/14 04:44 PM Re: Knives [Re: yee]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: yee
Backup EDC is my Leatherman. Unfortunately, I have not figured out a way to keep a lanyard on the Leatherman.

my leatherman squirt and older model wave plus my sog multitool all have some type of a 'ring' on them - alongside the other tools - to which i have then attached a small split ring. can then tie paracord or ??? or attach a small gate-type clip and then paracord or ??? for detaching when needed. none have ever failed.

#271854 - 09/25/14 05:17 PM Re: Knives [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I would like to read your thoughts on the best knife blade for a backcountry knife that can be used in a survival situation or hunting.

I recently purchased a EnZO Camper 5' Fixed blade D2 semi stainless Scandi Grind Bushcraft knife with Green Micarta handles. Very handsome and functional with a traditional thick quality leather Sheath.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/ENBRI20...-leather-sheath

Match it up with a Silky 270mm folding Saw, and this combination should prove very handy.

If more chopping requirements are required then the Gransfors Small Forest Axe will be taken along as well.

#271855 - 09/25/14 05:19 PM Re: Knives [Re: bsmith]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: yee

my leatherman squirt and older model wave plus my sog multitool all have some type of a 'ring' on them - alongside the other tools - to which i have then attached a small split ring. can then tie paracord or ??? or attach a small gate-type clip and then paracord or ??? for detaching when needed. none have ever failed.

I know about the ring. The problem is that the ring is pretty much useless. It is inside one of the tools. When extended, the tool doesn't fit in the sheath. Thus, I can't keep the lanyard attached to the tool unobtrusively when the tool is in the sheath.

The sequence would have to be:
1. remove tool
2. extend ring
3. remove and attach lanyard
4. use tool
5. detach lanyard and put away
6. retract ring
7. sheath tool.

This is NOT a sequence that works in the real world (for me). One of my old Leathermans (?PST, ?Supertool) had an EXTERNAL hole attached to the tool hinge that I could attach a thin string lanyard which was marginally useful.

===

My pocketknife is permanently lanyarded. The knife is in hip pocket with the lanyard looped around the Leatherman sheath.

The sequence is.
1. put lanyard on
2. pull out knife
3. open knife
4. use knife
5. close knife
6. put knife in pocket
7. loop lanyard around Leatherman sheath.
There are very few EXTRA time-consuming steps in using a lanyard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.