Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271297 - 08/17/14 06:57 AM seal crimps on blanks?
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
and ideas?..i was going to use nail polish or rub the crimp on a block of wax to fill in that tiny hole at the tip of the blank round.

#271300 - 08/17/14 12:55 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm not a reloader, but I understand a touch of varnish is usually used.

#271306 - 08/17/14 05:19 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I usually try to keep seals from my blanks. Sea lions, too.

#271311 - 08/17/14 09:08 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You don't want anything to seep inside the case and contaminate the powder (in the case of blanks, there may not be any powder - it depends). But the same things goes for the primers - they can get contaminated too. Then your blanks will have a new name. "Duds". I would just store them in a sealer waterproof container (Pelican box or something) if you have need for reliably operating blanks in a wet environment.

#271312 - 08/17/14 10:18 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
haertig..i plan to have the first two rounds in my pistol as blanks.the company i got them from said expect a major muzzle blast.the next four will be bear loads.
i have never had a problem bear in all my years canoe tripping but rather than bang pots and pans together,a normal anti bear method,i thought a good loud BANG would do the job.
i should mention i would never shoot a black bear unless it had me by the foot dragging me out of the tent or something.
the use of blanks came to me after meeting a bear guide on the last canoe trip.he said a shot bear will run from the sound of the gun and drop dead,he hopes,in a hundred yards.a bear darted with a arrow won't run but will stand around the area until it drops.
also a lady who was the last person to live in the canoe park years ago kept a lever action 30 30 handy and said a shot in the air would chase it away from her supply shed.her take on the subject was that bears live in the quiet of the woods and a blast from a gun is too much for them.

#271317 - 08/18/14 04:01 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I hope your handgun is something like a .454 Casull, .460 S&W or .500 S&W. Bears don't go down easily, even the little black ones. Noise may not work either.

Here's a report of a bear near where I live, and what it took to stop it. Mind you, this was a 120lb bear. My dog weighs 145lbs (and looks kind of like a bear too!)

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12927288

The synopsis:
Quote:
It took three rounds from a shotgun, five bullets from a handgun and two shots from a rifle to kill a 120-pound, juvenile male black bear that broke into a Boulder County home early Monday.

With the shotgun:
Quote:
"As soon as I moved to try and make a place for him to get out, he charged me," Paul Fischer continued. "That's when I shot him, and he kept charging me. I shot him a second time, and he kept charging me. I shot him a third time, and he was finally disoriented enough for me to get away."

With the handgun:
Quote:
After determining that the bear was severely injured and would need to be put down, sheriff's Sgt. Lance Enholm fired his .45-caliber handgun five times at the animal.

"(The first shot) struck the bear in the head, and it immediately reacted and began flopping around and growling," Enholm wrote in his report. ". . . I fired another round from my handgun, again striking the bear in the head. This didn't appear to have any impact on the bear, and it kept coming towards me."

And finally, the rifle:
Quote:
It was shot No. 9, this time from the sergeant's .223-caliber rifle, that finally felled the bear.

Tough little bugger. Didn't seem to be terribly afraid of the gunfire noise either. I think your blanks are a good idea to try. You may get lucky and be able to frighten a bear off. But I don't think I'd want to actually shoot a bear, any bear, and risk irritating it ... with anything less than a .45-70 rifle.

#271321 - 08/18/14 06:32 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
haertig..i plan to have the first two rounds in my pistol as blanks.the company i got them from said expect a major muzzle blast.the next four will be bear loads.
i have never had a problem bear in all my years canoe tripping but rather than bang pots and pans together,a normal anti bear method,i thought a good loud BANG would do the job.
i should mention i would never shoot a black bear unless it had me by the foot dragging me out of the tent or something.
the use of blanks came to me after meeting a bear guide on the last canoe trip.he said a shot bear will run from the sound of the gun and drop dead,he hopes,in a hundred yards.a bear darted with a arrow won't run but will stand around the area until it drops.

I really think you should rethink the idea of carrying two blanks! A blank won't do anything a live round won't do but the reverse is not true! If you want to try noise you can fire live ammo into the ground or (carefully) the air.

My concern is that you could end up needing to employ your firearm on very short notice and at very short range. In that event you'll love precious time and waste your already-limited capacity. You don't mention what sidearm you're carrying but most of them hold six. Some hold seven and a rare few hold eight.

If you ever need the gun it will be hard to remember how many rounds of what you have in the gun! I realize you're not talking about a "gunfight" but stress is stress. In many police shootings officers have no recollection of how many rounds they fired, and sometimes don't even know if they fired their firearm or not!

One last comment- I am assuming you're talking about a revolver. If you're carrying an auto then I definitely wouldn't advice blanks! They won't reliably cycle your firearm.

If you're married to having less-than-lethal loads under the hammer, consider shot shells. They're still not advisable but will have more effect than blanks if you accidentally use them thinking you have regular ammunition.

#271322 - 08/18/14 06:36 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
BTW, what caliber are you carrying?

#271323 - 08/18/14 07:39 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I´d use hot glue for this purpose. It is easy to apply and the melting point is high enough to avoid melting and contaminating your load. It will also not flow far enough into the shell to have impact on the load.
Whether the blanks are fit for the intended purpose is beyond my knowledge.

#271325 - 08/18/14 02:02 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: M_a_x]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I were going to attempt sealing primers and case mouths like this, I'd use something designed for the purpose. Not wax or hot glue or fingernail polish.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954332/markron-custom-bullet-and-primer-sealer-1-2-oz-liquid

I am not entirely sure if the front end of a blank even can be sealed. I have seen few blanks in my life, but I seem to remember that the case mouth is (or can be) folded back and crimped/squashed over itself (like the front end of a standard shotgun shell). I don't know how well you could seat that, with all the bends and folds in the metal. The crimped front of the case mouth might be a place where a wax glob could be used.

As someone else already mentioned, we're talking about revolvers here. Blanks don't get along with semi-autos, especially blanks covered with wax or other goop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 538 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.