Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260946 - 05/27/13 02:52 AM Mmm, tasty bugs?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm going to the garden to eat worms ... or some other kind of tasty bug. I really need to try this, but where to start? The last time I ate a worm, I was 19; it gave me a hangover. laugh

Curiously, edible bugs have been making the news this last while.

There are clouds of cicadas expected on the East Coast of the U.S., and adventurous gourmands waiting impatiently.

In Israel, a plague of locusts (no kidding) has people taking crispy revenge with their teeth. (The sidebar is a highly entertaining debate about whether locusts are kosher.)

And, various agencies are suggesting (yet again) that insects should be considered more seriously as a high-quality protein source world-wide. Steak for 9 billion people is apparently not a terribly viable option.

Here are a couple of links with great photos -- a wide range of insects cooked and ready to eat. Tuck in or gross out?

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-edible-insects-2013-5?op=1

http://www.businessinsider.com/bugs-as-food-around-the-world-2013-5?op=1

#260948 - 05/27/13 03:06 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I haven't eaten many.

In Africa I've had Mopani worms - they are large white grubs that live under the bark of certain trees. They are normally grilled over an open flame. The outside skin of the grub turns to ashes and adds some "crispiness" to the flavor. The taste is tangy - it's not bad at all. You could do a lot worse.

I've always wondered about cooked tarantulas. I think they were a delicacy for the Apaches, or perhaps other Native Americans in the southwest. Same basic idea - just grilled over an open flame and the body eaten. The fire takes off the spiny hairs on the outer body of the spider. However, I don't want to encourage this stuff - I'd like to see the desert wildlife preserved.

Pete2

#260949 - 05/27/13 03:29 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

It's hard for me to think of a traditional culture that makes insect a significant part of their diet. Sure, there are lots of cultures that eat some on occasion, but I can't think of one in which insects is as much a part of the staple as rice, wheat, beef, pork, chicken, the usual varieties of vegetables, etc., for us. Why is that? Is it the "ick" factor? Do insects just not taste very good in general Or is it the trouble of cooking many tiny things, or the difficulty farming insects? (I'm guessing it probably isn't hard to farm insects -- after all, we mastered bees -- so it's gotta be some other reason).

I'm guessing that to overcome our cultural disgust with the idea of eating insects, the first form of insect food would be some sort of ground up burger patties.

As for "surviving," I'm trying to figure out the relevance. Is anyone thinking of raising locusts/mopani worms/anything in his/her vegetable garden? Or will this fall under the category of "wild edibles"?

Edited by Bingley (05/28/13 01:18 AM)

#260952 - 05/27/13 11:26 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The tribe adjacent to Mono Lake regularly gathered and consumed some sort of fly that regularly hatched out in rather significant quantities - offhand, the details escape me. There are several other groups as well that regularly consume bugs.

There is no biological reason why insects cannot be consumed by humans. For us Westerners, particularly, there is only a culturally determined "ick" factor.

Somewhere back in my college days, I heard the statement that there is no known group which makes 100% effective use of the biologically useful potential foods available to it - culturally determined taboos always come into play.

Chocolate covered ants, anyone?

Edited by hikermor (05/27/13 11:27 AM)

#260964 - 05/27/13 11:57 PM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
For us Westerners, particularly, there is only a culturally determined "ick" factor.

There is a lack of big juicy tasty bugs to eat in Scotland so I'm pretty much with Karl on this one and will stick with a packet of monster munch. sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTIs9fvkUA

#260965 - 05/28/13 12:20 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
No doubt it's perception -- "bugs" in Western society, and especially urbanized society, are typically symbols of dirtiness and decay. Cockroaches and maggots, fleas and bedbugs.

And the friendly bugs with good PR, butterflies and bees, symbolic of beauty and freedom, or flowers and busi-ness and honey, are as far from being considered as direct food sources as you can get. Only a big meanie would harm a hair on their heads.

I suppose it's all in the selling: create a trend. Haute cuisine types can convince celebrity types to eat just about anything, as long as it's expensive enough and edgy enough. Others may follow.

But back to perception ... is that lobster or a crab on your plate, bought at exorbitant price and served with great fanfare, really just a great big creepie-crawlie sea bug?

#260970 - 05/28/13 03:03 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I get the feeling that even in China, these are "weird things that you occasionally eat when you go to food markets." After all, their diet is centered on rice, some common domestic animals, and vegetables.

I've also been told that some of this stuff is geared towards tourists, and tourists could include both those from overseas and those from other parts of China, or from more affluent classes. But I wouldn't know from first-hand experience.

Anyway, we're already eating insect parts, right? Some always slip into our food. Ah, extra protein...

#260974 - 05/28/13 08:40 AM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've eaten red ants and grubs. The ants were okay, a little sour. The grubs were darned hard to get down.

Insects are chock full of parasites. Be careful eating them raw.

Sometimes it is better not to know what is going in your mouth.

#260978 - 05/28/13 01:20 PM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: benjammin]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Hey Benjammin,

Good to see you posting. I missed your wisdom.

Just read your other post, sounds like you found a home.

Pete

Edited by paramedicpete (05/28/13 01:28 PM)

#260987 - 05/28/13 07:02 PM Re: Mmm, tasty bugs? [Re: dougwalkabout]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I had some interesting stuff in China. They will eat just about anything.

The fried crickets were actually pretty good.

Did not like the snake or eel - too tough.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.