Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#256007 - 01/30/13 02:12 PM Home Network Security
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It might be prudent to keep your routers wi-fi connection security at it highest possible encryption strength. Even WEP can be cracked!

http://www.prisonplanet.com/woman-sues-police-over-flash-grenade-swat-raid.html

crazy

#256008 - 01/30/13 02:27 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
True, there is no completely secure wireless.

I would agree that one should use the highest level that your devices can support, though to be brutally honest, it just needs to be higher than your neighbors.

" I don't have to be faster than the the bear, I just have to be faster than you....."

Like burglars, looking for easy targets...

#256011 - 01/30/13 03:43 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
WEP has been effectively useless for years. The kid next door can crack it in half an hour with a standard PC.

Even when people have WPA2 enabled, they use laughable passwords. "Fluffy" is not a solid password, and neither is your home phone number.

People don't do firmware upgrades to their wireless routers either. Yes, it's a hassle once you have everything set up because it erases your settings. But there are usually important security upgrades in there. When I was setting up my brand new router, I was amazed to find that the firmware was a year and a half out of date, and four significant firmware upgrades/patches had already been issued.

#256012 - 01/30/13 03:51 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

It might be prudent to keep your routers wi-fi connection security at it highest possible encryption strength. Even WEP can be cracked!

For years I had lucrative work performing wireless penetration testing for companies (it's important to note that I never did any penetration testing without a signed letter of authorization in my possession). WEP can be cracked very easily by pre-teens. It can be done tracelessly if you are willing to spend some time at it, and it can be done within about ninety seconds if you're willing to do some traffic generation.

WPA is crackable as well, but it's tougher. If you use WPA-PSK it behooves you to use a very long (20+ characters) unguessable key consisting of letters, numbers and symbols. WPA using cryptographic certificates is very tough to crack, but is beyond the capability of most (if not all) consumer wireless gear.

#256013 - 01/30/13 04:13 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: chaosmagnet]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... it behooves you to use a very long (20+ characters) unguessable key consisting of letters, numbers and symbols...

I really question the value of making passwords hard to remember with numbers, symbols, etc. ... this inevitably results in either people locked out of their own systems or storing the passwords in insecure locations (like a post-it note on their monitor).

As you identified, length is the real key to secure passwords.

#256018 - 01/30/13 04:39 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Using MAC (Media Access Control) address filtering on top of encryption is another obstacle you add to wireless security. Most routers provide this service. This feature only allows authorized computers on your wireless network. Each network interface has a unique MAC address assigned by the manufacturer.

IOW, having the encryption key is not enough to gain wireless access. Your computer's hardware address has to be specifically authorized (or spoofed) on your router to gain access.

Again, this is about making your system just a little harder to break into than your neighbors'systems.

#256022 - 01/30/13 06:16 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Denis]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Denis
As you identified, length is the real key to secure passwords.

Nice cartoon. I totally agree with the cartoon, as far as passwords that we need to remember and input regularly are concerned. I've long been a fan of using Diceware to generate passwords (well, really passphrases). It's the combination of using real words, length, and the randomness of throws of dice that makes it work so well as well as reasonably easy to remember. For situations that require special characters or capitalization, I use the dice for that, too.

Then again, for a password that I seldom have to use, like my router at home, I personally wouldn't have any problem with using one of those random, nonesensical passwords and putting it on a sticky on the bottom of it. If some stranger can physically read that sticky, then I have far more pressing problems than a hacked wifi connection!

#256030 - 01/30/13 08:53 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... it behooves you to use a very long (20+ characters) unguessable key consisting of letters, numbers and symbols...

I really question the value of making passwords hard to remember with numbers, symbols, etc.

For the wireless key, you're typing it in approximately once per device. It's easy to attack wireless networks, and either hard or impossible to detect an attack in progress. The length, complexity and unguessability of a wireless key has a significant impact on the chances of an attack against WPA-PSK being successful.

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Using MAC (Media Access Control) address filtering on top of encryption is another obstacle you add to wireless security.

Assuming that there is some legitimate user on the wireless network, this adds about ten seconds to the effort for the attack.

#256035 - 01/30/13 09:17 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Here are some interesting articles from wired.com on the subject of passwords.

Since it's from Wired, you will naturally take it with a grain of salt. But there are a few nuggets of wisdom in there.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/ff-mat-honan-password-hacker/all/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/why-no-password-is-safe-from-hackers/

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/10/passwords-and-hackers-security-and-practicality/

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/01/google-password/

#256036 - 01/30/13 10:14 PM Re: Home Network Security [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We moved to our new house in 2008 and the router sitting in the box for a couple days somehow forgot part of its settings but still worked enough that our computers connected and worked so I didn't notice until one day I found others connected to it.
I turned on logging and noticed they were looking at political sites. So rather than cut them off I put in dns redirects and pointed the R candidates site to the D candidates site and the D candidates site to the NRA smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 620 Guests and 153 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.