Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254082 - 11/30/12 08:37 PM Good Samaritan risks life ...
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good Samaritan risks life to rescue possible victims of car fire Ya, no -- I drive a white pick-up and I also have a Maglite for emergencies, but no way would I cross night time I-805 traffic on foot, that's just crazy. Got to admit though, breaking a window with a D-cell Maglite is much easier than with a Fenix or other small cell light.

#254086 - 11/30/12 08:57 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep. Looking at that video again, our good Samaritan is wearing a nylon windbreaker/jacket. Now what are you going to do if you find someone who needs to be pulled?
Cotton, maybe okay:
Wool is good;
Nomex is not cheap but I have one as a flight jacket and it's on the front seat.
Nylon? Polyester? No way would I go near an open flame while wearing one.

#254089 - 11/30/12 10:02 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: Russ]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I was told to hit a car window on the lower corner, away from the A post, to break it out.

On the driver's side it would be lower right, on the passengers side, lower left.

Anyone else ever heard this??

#254093 - 11/30/12 10:41 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Makes sense since a window bows out like a dome, so hitting in the center might not break it.

I've seen various YouTube videos of guys tiring their arms out trying to break a car window using Maglites, a hammer, even cops with batons, so that side glass can be tough to smash with something blunt.

That said, as pre-tensioned safety glass, if you can apply force in a concentrated spot, a side window should shatter and crumble fairly easily. That's why those automotive "escape" tools have things like a spring loaded center punch or a Lifehammer with that small but pointed cone to whack a side window to escape a car.

If it's pointed enough, you apparently don't even need to really whack the glass. Even pressing the point against the glass with some force should be enough to shatter it. I saw that on a TV segment about escaping a car that plunges into water. They just used a hardware store center punch tool and pushed it against the side window while submerged and out they went!

#254097 - 11/30/12 11:17 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I was told to hit a car window on the lower corner, away from the A post, to break it out.

I'm told that the trick is to keep the window from bowing from the strike instead of shattering. The corners are better than the center for that reason. The lower corners are better because the window is held more firmly there. Why away from the A pillar I have no idea.

chaosmagnet "never broke a window...on purpose"

#254099 - 11/30/12 11:40 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Makes sense, hitting the glass where it can't flex.

#254101 - 11/30/12 11:49 PM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The lower corners are better because the window is held more firmly there.

I hadn't thought of that. That makes sense. I have heard the "lower is better" advice, too. I had assumed that it's safer for the occupant because you're (theoretically) a bit less likely to spray glass fragments into the person's face by breaking the window lower down. Well, that was my brilliant theorizing, at least.

#254103 - 12/01/12 12:20 AM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Arney
I hadn't thought of that. That makes sense. I have heard the "lower is better" advice, too. I had assumed that it's safer for the occupant because you're (theoretically) a bit less likely to spray glass fragments into the person's face by breaking the window lower down. Well, that was my brilliant theorizing, at least.

You'll spray the occupants with glass fragments no matter what. The good news is that auto window glass is tempered, so it breaks into tiny dull pebbles instead of various-sized razor-sharp shards.

#254125 - 12/01/12 07:51 AM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: Russ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I keep a Houdini escape tool in my truck. It's hanging around the steering column by a piece of 550 cord. The loop is way too small to come off over the steering wheel so the only way to remove it is to tug smartly on it to separate it from the cap. This reveals a spring loaded glass punch and a seat belt cutter. I did try this tool out on an old junker car I was sending to the scrapyard. It instantly & completely destroys all side windows. In spectacular fashion, I might add. If I ever need it to effect an emergency egress it will be in easy reach, and if I ever come upon a traffic accident it will be close at hand so long as I'm driving my own truck.

#254165 - 12/02/12 04:07 AM Re: Good Samaritan risks life ... [Re: Russ]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Keep a res-q-me in your car, no more problem if you want to break glass, might even save your own butt one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.