Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#249075 - 07/27/12 03:38 AM How Much Does Your Packaging Weigh?
Frisket Offline
Addict

How many ziplocks/Drybags/tupperwares/stuffsacks/so on so forth do you have in your pack? How much does that add up in weight alone?

I personally really need to find this out for myself in my Camping gear/Bob sadly. Gonna take a whole lotta breaking down.

#249077 - 07/27/12 04:03 AM Re: How Much Does Your Packaging Weigh? [Re: Frisket]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
1 Sea to Summit dry sack for clothing
1 S to S ditty sack for small incidentals (ex. I put the daytime contents from my pockets in this ditty sack while I sleep)
1 dry sack for my sleeping bag (I think its an old Granite Gear compression dry sack)
1 large OR dry sack for hanging my food (bear bag); has minimal pack straps to double as a day pack to carry stuff on very short excursions away from camp
1 non-dry sack for my tent
1 quart zip lock for the maps and compass
1 gallon zip lock for my food
1 quart zip lock for my trail snacks

I think I also store the fuel line for my stove in a zip lock, and the output (clean) line for my water filter gets one too.

A box of zip locks at Costco are very inexpensive (I think the current deal sells you 2 boxes ea of quart and gallon sizes for ~$12-14); and I've used my REI premium on various dry sacks the past few years.

I don't weigh items I carry on hikes - total pack weight is about 25 lbs for a 3 day hike.

I am a little bag crazy - I hate hauling out socks and sweaters and food and every little thing to get to a Chiclet at the bottom of my pack, then repacking. I'd rather bring out 3-4 sacks to get to the thing I need, then pop them all back into my pack. the only odd thing I've found it that packing dry packs leads to some voids in your pack, but if you pack well it doesn't get too weird. And every sack that contains things I want kept dry has to be sil nylon or some other reasonably waterproof material.

Rain or river water has a way of finding me on the trail - I've never regretted carrying things in waterproof dry sacks even if the non-waterproof alternative is half the price.

#249079 - 07/27/12 09:49 AM Re: How Much Does Your Packaging Weigh? [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I like to carry kits or modules for various chores and functions while on the trail - a food bag, a stuff sack for the sleeping bag, etc., and I am always looking for light containers because the weight does add up. Zip lock bags are your friend here. Pouches and pockets on the pack itself come in handy and some items will stuff into their own pockets, creating a module that is easy to find, like a lightweight jacket I am currently carrying routinely (Patagonia Houdini).

I am not the most organized person, but it pays off....

#249087 - 07/27/12 12:59 PM Re: How Much Does Your Packaging Weigh? [Re: Frisket]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I'm constantly surprised at how much weight many of the EDC crowd carry JUST in the bags/packs/organizers that all their goodies are in.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.