Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247332 - 06/22/12 05:57 AM what is the best foot cushion for my boots?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what is the best foot cushion for my boots?

I tried to use gel, neoprene. it they still don't work. my feet hurt from standing too long.

#247334 - 06/22/12 01:18 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: picard120]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: picard120
i day hike, the longest perhaps 25 miles.
i like these: SOLE for my mid height merrells.

I tried to use gel, neoprene. it they still don't work. my feet hurt from standing too long.

standing or standing as part of your job or walking or walking as part of your job or hiking in a day hike or hiking as in hiking the appalachian trail?

i think you need to let us know what kind - and for how long - your 'standing' lasts.

it may be you need insoles or maybe you need a different type of boot/shoe or different type of sole / tread on your shoe / boot.

#247336 - 06/22/12 01:35 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: picard120]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I use Superfeet in my boots and some everyday light hiker shoes - I go with the green (average) but there are a variety of fits for different feet and comfort, I believe at REI where they sell them they have some sort of diagnosis machine device that helps you select what you need. While that's maybe a good thing (if you buy Superfeet anyway), nothing helps for sore feet like a visit to a foot doctor, followed by a qualified boot fitter. I've been getting boot advice from a guy at the Seattle REI flagship for about 25 years, whether I buy them there or not.

#247346 - 06/22/12 02:51 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: Lono]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I also use Superfeet in both boots and running shoes. I've seen them at REI and Road Runner Sports

#247354 - 06/22/12 06:12 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: picard120]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada

I know this is off topic, but consider the 5 fingers program. I know you may not be able to wear them all the time (like work) but when you do train with them they build up all those ligaments and muscles in your feet that you never knew you had and the pain goes away.

With almost 20 years of breaking myself on behalf of my government my feet, knees and back were killing me. A friend reccomended the whole barefoot running thing and I figured it couldn't hurt to try. It takes a while to get used to, but what a difference. You wouldn't believe how strong your feet will get.

After about 3 months of the barefoot running thing I am blown away with the results. Nothing hurts anymore

I am not Cody Lundine yet, but I cannot reccomend the 5 fingers enough.

#247362 - 06/22/12 09:02 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: ]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

There are a few reports coming out soon ...

How did you come across such reports not even released yet? Sounds like speculation unless you have a link to provide.

How accurate/creditable are these phantom reports?

Do a quick search on google about barefoot running and you have a list as long as your arm of doctors, professors, atheletes and hundreds of people (normal folks) who swear by it. I am no doctor, but there sure are a lot out there that believe you should run in your feet the way nature designed them and they have tonns of data to back it all up.

At any rate, to each his/her own. I know they have been amazing in my case but they obviously didn't work for you. I did have soreness at first, especially in the calves but it was "good pain" The kind where you know your muscles have had a good workout.

I will apologize to the OP. Didn't mean to swing the thread off course. I only mentioned it because the problem may not be the insoles but rather the feet.

Sorry to hear about the break in dude, That sucks.

Maybe we can start a new thread on the topic of barefoot running.

Edited by Stephen (06/22/12 09:04 PM)

#247364 - 06/22/12 09:18 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: ]
Stephen Offline

I see what you mean now Izzy, I didn't mean to sound like a dink.

They do take a while to get going in yes. You have to teach your self how to run an entirely different way (on the pads of the feet like nature intended) That won't happen overnight. In fact the "pros" say it could take up to a year. If you overdo it and try to run what you normally do it will hurt (A lot) they say to do no more than 10% of your normal time for the first while. My first barefoot run was 7 K. I was so sore for the next 3 days I litterly couldn't walk down stairs. I could walk up fine, but not down.

Once you break through the initial soreness its really amazing.

No insole in the world will replace strong conditioned feet.

I use mine to kayak a lot. Running aside they make the best water shoes I have ever seen.

#247369 - 06/22/12 11:11 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: picard120]
LED Offline
Veteran

Another vote for SOLE brand inserts.

It you're feet are getting fatigued it could be a lack of proper arch support + too little cushioning.

#247382 - 06/23/12 03:23 PM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: picard120]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
The problem could be situational also. Have you begun a new activity to which your feet are not accustomed? Are you standing ALOT more at work? Have you recently taken up hiking or running? It may simply be that your feet need time to adjust to the new situation. I don't have enough info - just suggesting.

Also, it may be the footwear that you need to change and not the insoles.

"Its the first few thousand miles. After that your feet limber up a bit..." Buster Kilrain "The Killer Angels"

#247402 - 06/24/12 07:55 AM Re: what is the best foot cushion for my boots? [Re: Finn]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I use spenco polysorb #3 have heard good reports about superfeet green.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 535 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.