Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241250 - 02/15/12 10:42 PM LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead!
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I told ya'll it wouldn't happen.

LightSquared's Demise

RIP OBG

#241348 - 02/17/12 01:49 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: Desperado]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
This is really good news. I am glad to be one of the people who called my representatives and wrote the FCC to oppose this very bad idea.

#241354 - 02/17/12 02:57 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: Desperado]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
In the way of legislation, nothing is dead until it's stayed dead a long while.

Kind of like a campfire. You have to pour water on it, stir the ashes, and feel with your hands to be completely sure.
And even then you can't be totally sure.

#241361 - 02/17/12 04:00 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: Desperado]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

I did some looking around about the lightsquared issue last week, and the more I read about it, the more obvious it was never going to happen.

For those who hadn't seen many details (most news articles didn't have the relevant facts), I'll summarize.

Lightsquared bought a chunk of spectrum from a 3rd party that was intended for satellite to earth transmission(licensed as such, ie that was the only permitted use for that spectrum). They then wanted to use it for terrestrial transmission. The FCC said, we will allow you to do this, IF and ONLY IF you can prove there will be no interference to any GPS devices. Which they obviously haven't been able to do, which is why they're proposal is being rejected.

As for the specifics, anybody who isn't familiar with electronics design, basically it comes down to the filters used to listen to a specific part of the rf spectrum. Its impossible to listen to only an exact chunk of spectrum, without hearing anything on the other sides. Filters have a rolloff on either side where the amount of signal passed through approaches zero. Same thing with regards to transmission, you're going to bleed slightly beyond your spectrum. This is the reason that satellite spectrum ranges are contiguous, without terrestrial transmissions right next to them. The power used by terrestrial transmission is (if I remember right) somewhere around a billion times more powerful than that of satellite to earth transmission. It isn't practical to use the type of filters necessary to filter this kind of noise (they'd be huge). Which is why the spectrum in question was never licensed for terrestrial transmission.

#241362 - 02/17/12 04:12 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: speedemon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Good explanation!

Lightsquared doesn't appear to be the brightest company. Throwing money into buying this spectrum and planning to use it for something other than what it is reserved for. They probably figured they have more money than politicians have sense. Wait, that's probably a true statement. But Lightsquared ended up losing anyway.

#241366 - 02/17/12 04:37 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: haertig]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: haertig
Good explanation!

Lightsquared doesn't appear to be the brightest company. Throwing money into buying this spectrum and planning to use it for something other than what it is reserved for. They probably figured they have more money than politicians have sense. Wait, that's probably a true statement. But Lightsquared ended up losing anyway.

There was one comment I found where it was estimated that the $2 billion worth of spectrum they bought would be worth around $12 billion if they had gotten their way (who knows how accurate those figures are). Still not a smart gamble, but maybe they thought their propaganda machine would manage to convince everybody.

#241416 - 02/17/12 09:02 PM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Lightsquared doesn't appear to be the brightest company.

They thought they had the political juice to muscle it through and make GPS manufacturers and users bear the cost of supporting their business plan. I'm actually surprised that it didn't work.

#241419 - 02/17/12 09:43 PM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I wonder if LightSquared could have incorporated a GPS-like signal into their spectrum so that rather than interfering they would have enhanced the GPS system. Garmin, Magellan, Trimble, Tom Tom, et al would have needed to redesign their receivers, but I'm sure LightSquared could have helped with that considering the payoff if LightSquared's system could have been made to work.

I guess we'll never know.

#241429 - 02/17/12 11:43 PM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Russ
I wonder if LightSquared could have incorporated a GPS-like signal into their spectrum so that rather than interfering they would have enhanced the GPS system.

If I needed to use GPS for some mission critical application, like the precision positioning of a surveyor or the precision timing of a scientist or any number of other applications, I doubt that I would put my trust into an alternative GPS signal from a company that is degrading the original GPS signal in the first place.

#241438 - 02/18/12 02:40 AM Re: LightSquared's Threat To GPS looks Dead! [Re: Russ]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Russ
I wonder if LightSquared could have incorporated a GPS-like signal into their spectrum so that rather than interfering they would have enhanced the GPS system. Garmin, Magellan, Trimble, Tom Tom, et al would have needed to redesign their receivers, but I'm sure LightSquared could have helped with that considering the payoff if LightSquared's system could have been made to work.

I guess we'll never know.

Nope, won't work. The way GPS works (really simply) is all the satellites have atomic clocks on them, and broadcast their time. The receivers are using the differences in time from the satellites to figure out how far it is from each of them. Trying to relay the signal changes the timing of all of that and wouldn't work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 135 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.