The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#227922 - 07/16/11 07:25 PM We've said it before- dental preps
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you don't take care of your teeth, they will try to kill you.

I had a tooth go from bad but hasn't been a problem in years to pain so bad I couldn't walk straight in under 48 hours this week, with swelling ranging from collar bone to temple. Thank the gods and science for antibiotics! And I should know better- my mother had a tooth abscess that turned in blood poisoning and nearly took her out when she was my age. (No, I haven't told her yet- she's gonna scream at me when I do.)

So, short of pulling it and trying to draw the puss out with tannins and saline, what would be the procedure for dealing with this in a long term emergency? Or short term- there is no way I could have built a shelter and maintained a fire if I had been in the woods and not able to get to town quickly. I had a period of about 18 hours where all I did was shiver, sweat and sleep.

Take care of your teeth as much as you do your eyes. You can't make good replacements for them in the field, and you REALLY need them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#227932 - 07/16/11 11:37 PM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: ironraven]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
warm salt water rinse, clove oil, ibuprofen and tylenol worked till an absess self drained... had it not drained, I was about to head to the ER as it manifested at night...I had a pair of tiny Craftsman channel lock pliers, and contemplated a DIY extraction, but thought I would probably pass out and choke on the blood as I was by myself..

my home FAK now has temporary dental filling, dental mirror, Anbesol in addition to the clove oil....

possibly ask your dentist for a script for penicillin VX250?

Edited by LesSnyder (07/17/11 01:09 AM)

#227942 - 07/17/11 02:21 AM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: LesSnyder]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thats exactly what he gave me, actually. And I'm glad penicillian is working- it's the old man with a mean dog and a shotgun of antibiotics. If I can manage this with penicilin rather than one of the newer high-speed low-drag type antibiotics, I'm very happy.

I was thinking more along the lines of if this happened up in the back country and I wasn't able to extract myself or be extracted, or during a disaster. We don't think of our mouths most of the time- maybe with them, but not of them. So lets say we get crud in our mouth during an earthquake or flood for example, and a bad tooth or a gum laceration abscesses quickly. Other than numbing the pain and trying to drain it...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#227943 - 07/17/11 02:32 AM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: LesSnyder]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Even with the proper equipment, how do you do dentistry yourself? Is there some sort of DIY guide? I'd think anything you can do is just intended to tide you over until you can get out of the wilderness/whatever and find a dentist.

Da Bing

#227956 - 07/17/11 01:03 PM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Even with the proper equipment, how do you do dentistry yourself? Is there some sort of DIY guide? I'd think anything you can do is just intended to tide you over until you can get out of the wilderness/whatever and find a dentist.

http://hesperian.info/assets_org/dentist/wtndentist_2010_Web_Full_Book.pdf

or buy a paper copy:
http://www.amazon.com/Where-There-Dentist-Murray-Dickson/dp/0942364058

NB: I am not a dental or medical professional, so I don't have the background to evaluate the advice given in this book.

#228014 - 07/18/11 02:42 PM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: ironraven]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OK - nobody likes the dentist, but prevention hurts 100x less that letting it get to a problem.

#228377 - 07/24/11 10:56 PM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: ironraven]
gimpy Offline

Loc: PNW
It has been known since early time a tooth infection can easily kill you. Then antibiotics came along (~1940) and changed circumstances by making death 'by tooth' almost unheard of in the 1st world. A tooth ache/painful infection is considered to be an 'acute' dental disease/infection.
Now science is learning that 'chronic' (on-going/subtle/long term-no significant symptoms to the individual) dental gum & tooth infection is also detrimental to a persons long term health. Heart disease is now shown to be accelerated by chronic infection/inflammation. Mothers with gum disease are considerably more likely to miscarry and/or have premature birth. As more people are studied and research continues, the list gets longer.
Stressful situations are KNOWN to suppress the immune system and allow a chronic infection to become an acute painful problem. So when you are 'stressed' to SURVIVE in some future unknown situation, be prepared by having all systems 'healthy'-including your mouth/teeth/gums!

A stitch in time-can save 99!
gimpy

#234652 - 10/28/11 02:29 PM Re: We've said it before- dental preps [Re: ironraven]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This week is spent getting everything up to date: flu shot, dental checkup, new contacts, dr. visit.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 508 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.