Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#234382 - 10/25/11 02:17 AM I need to make a knife handle
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I had a knife blade cut ( from 10 inches to 4 inches) and now have about 7 inches of knife blade laying around. I asked the guy to grind (dull) about half of the sharp edge length. Now I have something like a knife with no handle. I asked him to drill two holes so that I can fix some wooden hadle on it but he said the steel was too hard to drill.

So, I am thinking to do more dulling to the knife edge , and then wrap in in duct tape to make a small utility knife.

Other than duct tape , do you have any ideas ??

#234383 - 10/25/11 02:55 AM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Unless the blade is made out of diamond, it can be drilled. The key is slow and lube. Then look at how some of the guys wrap with paracord; maybe kevingg can help out.

#234385 - 10/25/11 03:36 AM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've had good luck with an inner-tube and tape arrangement. I grind the handle so there's a bit of a notch at each end, to keep the improv'd handle from slipping. Then I slide a section of old inner tube over it, typically from a small tire. A length of bicycle tube could also be split and used as a wrap if the blade is too wide. Then wrap progressively tighter with good quality electrical tape; this will hold forever if protected from sun/elements. The outer wrap is hockey tape, the stickiest and most enduring cloth tape I've ever seen. The result is a grippy, cushioned handle that's darn comfortable to use, even though it looks pretty rough. I have one on a cut-down machete that has to be 10 years old and it's still going strong. Note that nobody will ever steal a blade with this kind of handle.

#234388 - 10/25/11 04:13 AM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

Forgot to mentioned that the blade is one inch wide.
Actually, that is why I cut the original knife to begin with. It was too long and too narrow to be used and I was not surprised when I saw it in some drawer and someone told me it was there for many years unused.

Anyway. It is now only a 4 inch blade and very useful for general utility chores around work. I intend the removed part of peronal utility chores around the house or during camping.

I didn't think of inner tube. How wide should it be and if there is any video clip to show it I will appreciate it.

I know, I know, it's so simple and need no video, but I am getting old .. LOL

#234398 - 10/25/11 05:45 AM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
You can make a handle by using resin. There are probably two techniques:

1 – get some PVC pipe, about 1in diameter, block one end. Put the handle upright into the pipe and pour the epoxy resin in.
Once it dries, you should be able to peel the PVC away from the epoxy and you will be left with a handle.

2 – with either epoxy or even fibreglass, soak strips of cloth in the resin, then wrap it around the handle, be careful to exclude bubbles. It would be best of the still wet handle could be compressed somehow, but once its dry, you should be able to tidy it up. Do a search for micrata to get some ideas.

Alternatively you could make some handles and simply glue them to the tang. Try and rough up the tang as best you can.

#234399 - 10/25/11 09:55 AM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Here's a guy who makes a handle for a bush knife with common garage tools..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UHdubuXglU

#234415 - 10/25/11 02:12 PM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Carbide bits can drill through hardened steel if you want holes to make a traditional handle (regular or plated bits will never make it). Otherwise I would suggest a paracord/tennis racket/hockey stick type of wrap for the handle. Wraps are easy, quick, work well, and are easily replaced when they breakdown.

#234424 - 10/25/11 04:49 PM Re: I need to make a knife handle [Re: Chisel]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I have numerous bicycle inner tubes, and have used pieces of them to cover all sorts of things. I even used a small piece to put over the handle of my S&W 9mm grip. Here in Florida at the range my hands sweat profusely, and that did the trick.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 281 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.