The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227730 - 07/12/11 08:42 PM Coleman Trail Meals Review
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The local Walmart just started stocking these in place of Mountain House meals, so I figured I would buy a couple and try 'em out. They sell for $4.88 a piece and carry a 'Best by' date of 6/2013.

This one happens to be 'Cilantro Lime Rice w/Pinto beans.' As it sits, the package weighs under 5 ounces on my scale. It's a nice size for backpacking, if I had to compare it to something, I would say it's a little bit larger than a typical paperback book.

Here's the back side. As is typical with pre-packaged meals, the sodium content is extremely high. This one is 41% of your Daily Value. For hiking or strenuous activity, where you will be drinking a lot of water and loosing a lot of salt through perspiration, it's probably not a big deal. However, I wouldn't really want to eat these things day in and day out. If you notice, it also has a neat little clear window on the side that lets you use the bag as a measuring device, so you know exactly how put water to use to prepare the meal.

Preparing it is pretty simple. All you need is the bag itself, some water, and a way to boil said water. I'm using an MSR steel pot and an MSR Pocket Rocket Stove.

*Warning: Make sure to use stove on level ground in a well ventilated area.

While the water is boiling, I decided to open the package and see what's inside. Apparently, it's more packages. It appears to be one package of spices and one package of beans/rice/cilantro. I really like that. While it's more garbage to throw away, it does allow one to use different spices if so desired, or to only eat the beans/rice and save the spice packet for something else. It also allows one to use the main pouch as a way to roughly measure the necessary amount of water before boiling.

I started by opening the package of beans/rice/cilantro and emptying it into the main pouch. It looks like pretty typical dried rice and beans.

I then added the boiling water to the bag. *Warning: Boiling water is obviously very hot.

From there, it says to seal the pouch (which has a ziploc-like zipper along the top edge) and wait 5-7 minutes. I figured I would just split the difference and set the timer for 6.

After the 6 minutes were up, I added the spice packet and stirred.

I poured it into the pot and, Viola!, Cilantro Lime Rice with Pinto Beans. I don't think it looks too bad.

Taste wise, well, it tastes like what it is. Dried beans and rice, in a kind of soupy Mexican spice sauce, and a hint of lime. If you're expecting Michelin Star quality food, this ain't it. The beans and rice themselves are pretty tasteless, it's obvious all the flavor comes from the spice packet. It's a little hot, but I didn't find it to be excessively thirst provoking. The hint of lime is nice, adding to subtle sweetness to the dish. All in all, I found it to be filling and inoffensive enough that I wouldn't mind eating it again, at least when I'm hiking. It's definitely better than some meals I've eaten for under $5.

#227732 - 07/12/11 10:03 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the review.

I think I'll stick with the excellent treking and camping foods that can found at the local supermarket rather than the products from Reiter, Mountain House et all (although I haven't tried Expedition foods yet). I really couldn't in all honesty pay $5 for just beans and rice. This is typically what I would spend for around $5 at the supermarket for a easy to cook meal ready to eat for a days fishing outing.

These boil in the bag combo meals really are quite excellent, even though they don't quite match freshly caught sea trout cooked on a open fire.

#227733 - 07/12/11 10:18 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Looks remarkably similar to the beans and rice sides that Lipton (now Knorr) used to sell for a buck (similar to the noodles/pasta/rice ones they still sell). I still have some of them. Bet they haven't sold them (here) for 20 years lol. Mmmm, vintage beans and rice, that's like vintage scotch, right? I'll eat just about anything, and have a cast-iron stomach...

I got hungry just looking at the pics (yup, I don't watch food commercials...) and am considering the old Lipton stuff. It is kept here as emergency emergency food, to go with the old emergency bottled water...like for when death is the alternative. Better to have and not need...they're sealed so how bad can they get???

#227807 - 07/13/11 11:24 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea

#227811 - 07/14/11 12:52 AM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I'm still alive!

Usually, when I eat stuff with a lot of spices like this, it gives me heartburn, indigestion, a stomach ache, inflamed hemorrhoids, or some combination thereof. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me in the least.

#227827 - 07/14/11 09:32 AM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
A well done review and great pictures to accompany. Thank you for doing it. I'm with Am_Fear_Liath_Mor on trail foods. A tuna packet and ramen or minute rice does it for me for most situations for under $2.

#227835 - 07/14/11 12:56 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tilda-Steamed-Basmati-Mexican-Chilli/dp/B0048F5J7M

Mexican Beans and Rice boil in the bag avialable for around $1.50 available at the local supermarket.

BTW was the Coleman trail foods actually a freeze dried product as the shelf life seems quite limited for such as expensive product. A freeze dried product should have a 5 year shelf life such as with the Mountain House range.

Does anyone have a source for these type of food grade resealable strip Mylar packaging baggies that the freeze dried food manufacturers use. They would be really useful to home vacuum seal individual portions as 500gm portions (5 days use) although useful for multiday hikes are a little large to carry for 1-2 days

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268486797

#227841 - 07/14/11 02:46 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Ramen and tuna is ok. Ramen and chicken is better. When I was forced to eat outside by my Uncle Sam, I carried Ramen, cocoa, canned chicken and canned tuna. I'd go through the MREs and take out what was semi edible or stuff I could mess with and make edible. The difference in weight usually was in my favor - dropping most of the MRE off and replacing it with lighter stuff.

I also carried spices, like salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes and tobasco.

You got to eat, but you don't have to eat bland crap unless you want to.

#227898 - 07/15/11 11:02 PM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Does anyone have a source for these type of food grade resealable strip Mylar packaging baggies that the freeze dried food manufacturers use. They would be really useful to home vacuum seal individual portions as 500gm portions (5 days use) although useful for multiday hikes are a little large to carry for 1-2 days

These are single use and not resealable but close

http://www.amazon.com/50-Gallon-Absorbers-Dehydrated-Storage/dp/B003WSUPDY/ref=pd_sbs_misc_5

#227900 - 07/16/11 12:05 AM Re: Coleman Trail Meals Review [Re: Paul810]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the review, Paul.

The supermarket is cheaper, but having a few of those "just add boiling water" meals in the supply box can make a last minute trip possible. The Coleman ones seem to be cheaper than the ones at REI.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 129 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.