Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#224603 - 05/29/11 07:31 PM cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, but I'll stop watching now.

#224607 - 05/29/11 08:13 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
... not sure where you're going ... please add sutbitles ... confused

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/29/11 08:14 PM)

#224608 - 05/29/11 08:21 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Cowboy jeans are going to do you exactly how much good at those in those conditions? A fire like that could indeed leave you standing there in your shorts.
When I watched it the first two things that occured to me were:

1) Fire is to be feared above all other things, so making damned certain that it does not happen is a Very Good Idea and:
2) Having either a Bail Out Bag with warm clothing and shelter gear right by the door, or Gear stashed away from the cabin, preferably up wind and in a dug in, flame resistant container is also a Very Good Idea.

Ok, for the record: I like Dual Survival. I think that it has serious teaching value because staging the scenarioes given drives home the point that Lack of Proper Preparation May Cause An Acute Case Of Death.

Neither David or Cody pull their punches or sugar coat just how serious it could get.

One final point: When this series was first mooted, I was one of the people who recommended David for it. Something that I have absolutely no regrets over doing.

#224616 - 05/29/11 08:57 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

One final point: When this series was first mooted, I was one of the people who recommended David for it. Something that I have absolutely no regrets over doing.

What exactly was your involvement with this?

John Lubbock

#224622 - 05/29/11 10:14 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
He asked for recommendations from people watching his YouTube channel - Wilderness Outfitters.

I had been watching his video's for sometime and was impressed with both the content and the presentation. So I recommended him.

Let me make something very clear here. I watch a lot of survival/bushcraft video's on YouTube. I'm looking for the good one's that have teaching value and also making note of the ones that are either poorly presented or are plain wrong.

Answer your question?

#224623 - 05/29/11 10:21 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The reason I asked was because I did not know if you were friends with Dave or involved with the show production etc...

Thanks for the explanation.

John Lubbock

#224654 - 05/30/11 10:27 AM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I watch the show occasionally, and although I find the barefoot thing weird, I have gleaned some important information from the show. Watching the interaction of Dave's 'conquer nature' approach vs Cody's 'bush hippie' approach is very thought provoking.

The problem I chronically have is deciding what gear to bring and what to leave behind. As I prepare for a daytrip later this morning, I look at my pack across the room, and you would think I was venturing to the heart of the dark continent instead of a trek into the state forest.

Watching Cody struggle with being barefooted (and he does struggle in some situations) reminds me that in reality, I could probably survive a week living in a hollow log if I had too.

It is morning twilight here, and almost time to go.

Today I will forgo my big rucksack in favor of my much smaller waistpack. Sorry Cody, even though you have convinced me to lighten my load, I will not give up my boots.

#224655 - 05/30/11 10:39 AM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

Sorry Cody, even though you have convinced me to lighten my load, I will not give up my boots.

And he does want you too. The only thing that seriously niggles at me about the show is their "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone" approach sometimes. Most of time they are sensible and well-thought out, but other times make me wonder.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224658 - 05/30/11 11:48 AM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's TV. Sensationalism and shock value trump education and enlightenment every time.

#224661 - 05/30/11 12:22 PM Re: cody.. in Montana... in winter...in shorts... [Re: TeacherRO]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
Cody not wearing shoes and only wearing shorts is his own personal endurance thing. It wasn't brought about for the show, but you have to admit that it does factor in with some of the places they go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.