Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#222906 - 05/04/11 06:49 PM A Video game for the kids.
Frisket Offline
Addict

(And maybe some of you adults as well wink )

I have no idea if this Video game has ever been posted here befor but imma post it!

http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/

The Graphics are pretty much on par with a n64 video game. You have to collect food water and build things by collecting enough of the proper items for them. Very Kid friendly in my opinion but if your worried id suggest a play threw yourself (Who knows you may enjoy it aswell) for safe parental figuring. The game is very basic in its mechanics, making items is literally a point click combined method and building structures is a simple place and click till done with proper resources process.

Happily the game has a fun little campaign a few different modes of gameplay including randomized single session islands, a shooting range and a electronic simon says style puzzle game. You can also create your own islands campaigns and expand the game with mods. A few mods happily change the requirements for making the items to a more realistic hunt for supplies.

Hope you all enjoy! I know I burned alota hours create my own dream island with the editor blush

Edited by Frisket (05/04/11 06:50 PM)

#222940 - 05/05/11 12:17 AM Re: A Video game for the kids. [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Without playing it it looks promising. Teaching kids to think things through, to prioritize, and to both conserve and exploit resources is all to the good.

My only objection is that in a computer game you can do things instantaneously with the click of a mouse.

When an aboriginal tribesman was asked how they cut down a tree six feet in diameter with a stone axe; the answer was chopping, chopping, chopping ...

Kids playing a game can assemble things in seconds whereas primitive construction methods often required long periods of very hard work and a lot of planning. Larger constructions were often planned weeks in advance and provisions stockpiled for use during the construction process. Evidence is that thousands of years ago supposed primitive tribesmen planned ahead and used techniques like girdling of tree to establish stands of seasoned wood months or years ahead of time.

#222941 - 05/05/11 12:26 AM Re: A Video game for the kids. [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Looks pretty cool. Thanks Frisket!

We've got a game for the Wii called Shipwrecked" that the family really enjoys, and I'm torn about buying the "Man vs Wild" game that comes out in a few weeks. This looks like a great way to transition out of the first without shelling out for the second.

If there're going to play video games why not learn a little something while they're at it, even if it isn't totally realistic.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222961 - 05/05/11 06:36 AM Re: A Video game for the kids. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

My only objection is that in a computer game you can do things instantaneously with the click of a mouse.

While yes it is just clicking it still takes a amount of time to collect the proper amount of items then click on the building the proper amount of times to complete it. Im sure for a child it would be entertaining and yet "painstaking" just enough to keep interest instead of completely deterring them with hours of game play and one little lean too to show for it. Trying to find a balance between realism and entertainment value for a child with a video game based on survival im sure is a near impossible thing.

#222963 - 05/05/11 06:43 AM Re: A Video game for the kids. [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Looks pretty cool. Thanks Frisket!

We've got a game for the Wii called Shipwrecked" that the family really enjoys, and I'm torn about buying the "Man vs Wild" game that comes out in a few weeks. This looks like a great way to transition out of the first without shelling out for the second.

If there're going to play video games why not learn a little something while they're at it, even if it isn't totally realistic.

As I Said before You may wanna play threw it first just to make sure you agree with it for your kids as I Could not find any game ratings on the website.

#222969 - 05/05/11 10:53 AM Re: A Video game for the kids. [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Frisket. I guess I could play if I have to. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 570 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.