Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220725 - 04/01/11 09:55 PM Gas Stoves and Cold Weather
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've written a couple of articles for Seattle Backpacker's Magazine on gas stoves and cold weather if anyone is interested:
Upright Canister Stoves (for moderate cold)
Remote Canister Stoves (for near zero weather)

HJ

#220869 - 04/05/11 01:40 AM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Great articles, especially the remote canister one; it has information I had never read anywhere before.

Thanks!

#220878 - 04/05/11 02:46 AM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Denis]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Denis
Great articles, especially the remote canister one; it has information I had never read anywhere before.

Thanks!
Hi, Denis,

I'm actually glad to hear you say that. I think that a lot of people aren't aware that one can go into much colder temperatures with the right kind of remote canister gas stove. It's a particularly nice option if you need to cook in a tent or other shelter.

HJ

#220909 - 04/05/11 05:43 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The only thing missing was the impact that altitude has on gas stoves in addition to the cold. I don't recall the formulas but most gas stoves should work at higher altitudes than they do at lower altitudes everything else being equal.

#220910 - 04/05/11 06:09 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Roarmeister]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Your articles are always a pleasant read, HJ smile

Anyone and his brother will miss any honorable mention of their particular pet stove. My pet remote canister stove is the trangia burner mounted inside the old fashioned trangia mess kit with the venerable aluminium wind screen. Too heavy and bulky for most of the light weight all-I-ever-need-to-do-is-boil-water crowd, but a good choice for those who like menus that require more than one pot. And ... with a pre-heat loop for liquid feed operation.

#220922 - 04/05/11 08:29 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The only thing missing was the impact that altitude has on gas stoves in addition to the cold. I don't recall the formulas but most gas stoves should work at higher altitudes than they do at lower altitudes everything else being equal.
Absolutely correct.

There's a linear progression. As elevation increases, the boiling point (vaporization point) decreases. In other words, the higher you go, the colder the canister temperature in which your stove will work correctly.

You need the canister temperature to be about 5C/10F above the vaporization point in order for a typical gas stove to work reasonably well.

HJ

#220923 - 04/05/11 08:54 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Your articles are always a pleasant read, HJ smile

Anyone and his brother will miss any honorable mention of their particular pet stove. My pet remote canister stove is the trangia burner mounted inside the old fashioned trangia mess kit with the venerable aluminium wind screen. Too heavy and bulky for most of the light weight all-I-ever-need-to-do-is-boil-water crowd, but a good choice for those who like menus that require more than one pot. And ... with a pre-heat loop for liquid feed operation.
I assume you mean a "real" Trangia, as in a Trangia 25 or Trangia 27, and I quite agree. For really foul weather, it's hard to do better than the Trangia with it's "bomb proof" windscreen system.

The ultimate cold weather stove ever developed is the KAP Arctic which was a Kerosene stove mounted in a Trangia.

HJ

#220936 - 04/05/11 10:25 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For the Trangia there is also the Trangia Multifuel X2 adapter (Basically the guts from a Primus Omnifuel)

http://www.trangia.se/english/2941.news_from_trangia.html

The adapter would also be useful for use with the Esbit alcohol stove with its Primus Etapower like heat exchanger pots.

http://www.campsaver.com/cookset-w-alcohol-burner

#220939 - 04/05/11 10:58 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The Multifuel X2 is about as close as you can come these days to a KAP Arctic stove unless you want to start cobbling together parts from old stoves and such and essentially construct your own. Definitely a heavy duty cold weather/heavy weather stove.

HJ

#220944 - 04/05/11 11:25 PM Re: Gas Stoves and Cold Weather [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
HJ, I'm looking for a new canister stove but I'm a newbie to the world of stoves. This article was very helpful. Thanks so much!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.