The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#217903 - 02/24/11 02:54 AM PSK roundup suggestions
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, I've mentioned this idea before, so I'm looking for suggestions on the candidates.

What I have in mind is a "shootout", a side by side comparison of commercially available PSKs. I've finally got a place and some spare hands to help with testing things like whistles and the like. I want to limit it to what I consider realistic PSKs, which rules out a number of them. Unfortunately.

The parameters I have in mind-
- No junk. That immediately rules out the sardine can kit, and honestly, the BCB "combat survival tin". (In their defense, I understand they have a new version out- I'll look into it. But IIRC the only things Doug classed as excellent in the origional 6-7 years ago was the fish hooks and the tin, and most of it was poor or mediocre. ) I know this kills a number of candidates, but I'm not wasting time or money on garbage.
-Available through retail. I'll try for the best price on good gear, but if I can't find it at REI, EMS, DICKs, Campmor, or Amazon, there is a pretty good chance it won't be tested.
- Physical parameters are 4 x 6 x 1.5, and under 8 ounces. I honestly feel that this is the biggest/heaviest PSK you can make and have people actually (a) put it in their pocket or (b) ALWAYS have it in their pack.
- Under $50. I know this is a biggy, but I think that this might be the upper limit on what people are willing to pay for something that they don't think will happen to them. I'm also working on a budget.

So, what functions will be tested-
-firestarting
-shelter building
-signalling
-tools
-water purification
-food procurement
-instructions
-misc (note this includes FAK items).

How will they be tested-
-Ease of use. My testers will be me, an eagle scout who hunts, and an average guy who hikes. If possible, a librarian who hasn't camped in over 30 years but grew up in the 3rd world.
-Waterproofing. The containers will be sealed as per manufacture's suggestion with some musket balls in them, and dropped in a bucket for a few hours. Leakers are losers. Reseal and try for 24 hours.
-Cold testing. The contents of each will be stored in zero degrees F for 12 hours, to simulate being in the outer pocket of a pack in winter for a day. Does anything break if we freeze it?
-Crush testing. This involves a concrete floor and the sole of my boot. Stand on it. If it doesn't break, put it under the ball of my foot and give it a few good bounces. This isn't as good as running it over with the truck, but I know most things won't take this too well. Anything that looks like it can be pulled apart will be handed to a shaved ape who will try to pull it apart (after function testing).
-Repacking. An altoids tin, square gift card tin (approx 1.5x an altoids tin), and a 14oz wide mouth nalgene will be used. If it fits, rock on, if it doesn't, too bad- this is a test to see how much can carry over. These items have been selected becuase the first two represent common sized of "metal must be tougher" containers, while the latter is a small, light, water proof and can be easily clipped to a pack.
-Accessibility. This tests both how easy it is to find things, get them out, put them back in, and reseal it. It will also be used to get an idea of how much extra space there in there. Hmmm... Can I get in 2-layer SAK and a Minimag? Some water tabs?
-Other abusive ideas as I think of them. (note, my dryer is off limits- no tumbling for an hour)

When-
-I'll be gathering candidates this spring and early summer, testing them mid summer.

Early candidates-
-DR/AMK PSP.
-AMK SOL Scout. This is the new version of the SOL. Oddly the webpage still lists matches, but the picture shows AMKs new not-a-sparklite. I think both would be nice.
-John McCann PTSK
-Gerber/Grylls Survival Basics
-Lifeline Ultralight survival kit (I promise, I'll try to be fair.)

Early rejections-
-The PSP+, for price point. Sorry Doug
-SOL-3, for price and weight. Pity, due to the FAK.
-McCann PTSK-Plus, for cost, size and weight
-GearPods Survival, for size. Pity, to, I wanted to test their system and check their instructions- if enough people ask, I might included it.
-AMK Origin, for price. It is gadgety enough I think they'll sell a lot of them to the target audience I'm trying to simulate though.
-Ulitmate Survival Kit, the hard cased one, for cost and weight. The soft cased version, maybe.

So, what kits am I not thinking of? I know these are somewhat arbitrary, but again, jacket or thigh pocket, or always in a pack (I'm thinking tossed into a small hydrocarrier), targeted to someone of average intelligence and imagination but with minimal training or interest. At least until they are REALLY interested.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#217906 - 02/24/11 03:36 AM Re: PSK roundup suggestions [Re: ironraven]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Are you having CabinFever up there in Ben&Jerry's Land?Maybe a Road trip to Florida,Thaw yer' bones & Get some color on your cover!Sunshine is The Best Cure! Good Luck!

#217917 - 02/24/11 05:53 PM Re: PSK roundup suggestions [Re: ironraven]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The biggest issue i have with alot of premade kits is they do not consider "empty space". The new SOL kit with the plastic case that everything snaps onto is a big example. All that blank space of plastic for everything to snap into and fit into and look nice and clean and even on the ouside is wasted space for the size of the kit even wasting a "page" on the survival instructions for a pretty picture of a guys face and the magical title to imbue survival power to the owner. In the PSK I made off of the DR-PSP I attempt to put every rain drop sized pocket of space to use. Even the cotton batting I use to presse things together and keep things from rattling has a use when need be as a tinder.

So with that said I think that would be a great criteria to add. Space in the container they come in to expand and space wasted by fancy organization or containers. Quick tip get a caliper lol!

Edited by Frisket (02/24/11 05:56 PM)

#217948 - 02/25/11 02:13 AM Re: PSK roundup suggestions [Re: ironraven]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Yah, the new widget from AMK kind blows my mind. Gadgety, gimmicky, heavy and over priced. Extra space was part of accessibility.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#217998 - 02/26/11 12:43 AM Re: PSK roundup suggestions [Re: ironraven]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Tops Knives has a kit that may fit your criteria.It is a magnesium and ferrocium fire starter,dog tag signal mirror and whistle on a dog tag chain.Appears to be quite robust in build.Be careful on going on their sight because there are many sharp pointy things to buy....

BOATMAN
John

#218022 - 02/26/11 03:34 PM Re: PSK roundup suggestions [Re: boatman]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Boatman- I'll have to check on it's availability. Again, I want it to be things that most people would find easy- burried page seven of the survival section of a semi-custom knife maker after seeing many, many big, scary sharp things costing over $200... dunno know if they'll make it that far. smile

Besides TOPS and tactical distributors, can you think of two more places I could get it?

I always feel poor looking at their site, btw. :P

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.