The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213637 - 12/26/10 03:45 PM traditional navigation necklace
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I'm a "traditional" navigation junky amoung other things, hence my development of paracord pacing beads for myself. I like using traditional methods and tools like compass and pace counting to keep my own travel logs, make my own "maps" and find my way in and back out again.

Here's something I did recently for myself; just my ranger pace counter side by side set with a 14" loop rather than a 3" loop. Instead of wearing on a belt, it replaces my compass lanyard for wear around my neck; since I have both out all the time when moving, this is a very logical combo. The whistle is on in the pic, I may replace w/ a firesteel. Yes, these will make noise when they tap together while walking.

#213648 - 12/26/10 09:57 PM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Could you briefly describe the procedure you use to navigate and map with these tools?

Thanks!

#213651 - 12/26/10 11:11 PM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Check out Bjorn Kjellstrom's Be Expert with Map and Compass, for a long time the bible for compass navigation. Actually, the manual that comes with most decent compasses has pretty good directions.

Edited by hikermor (12/26/10 11:16 PM)

#213652 - 12/26/10 11:31 PM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I like the idea.

An alternative compass lanyard, one that has worked for me, is to make the cord long enough that he compass will ride in my pants or jacket pocket. It makes using the traditional two-hands form easier and, when stuffed into my pocket, eliminates any slap or rub when you are moving fast.

You might maintain the chest location of the compass and simply wrap the extra cord for pocket carry around the compass.

I'm a fan of lanyards. Anything that is used a lot and is likely to get dropped or lost can benefit from what the military derisively calls a 'dummy cord'. Never underestimate how easy it is, even when well rested and in good conditions, for a dropped or carelessly laid down item to vanish. Your are using something, lay it down for a minute while absorbed in a task and ... then it is gone. Knives, multi-tool, compass, flashlights are common items I put on a lanyard.

My regular first-aid kit has both a flashlight and EMT shears on a cord clipped to the bag. Need be I can unhook it from the bag and clip it onto my belt. Cords that get wrapped around the the item before they get put away.

#213657 - 12/27/10 01:02 AM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Never really looked at pace counting as a navigational aid. It just nevercame up.

Looked here:

http://therucksack.tripod.com/landnav.htm#pacecounting

I can see how it could be used and useful, especially when the environment prohibits sighting to distant landmarks or orienting by overviews of your route of travel.

It does seem to me that pace counting would interfere with appreciation of everything else. Perhaps if you always did it pace counting would fade into the background as an almost unconscious activity.

Edit:

Further thoughts: unless your navigation is straightline, with only exact right angle adjustments and detours, pace counting seems both problematic and of limited use. My usual environments include substantial vertical elements that do not allow regular pace length throughout and often force movement at many and varying angles other than right angles. My usual activities include foraging, fishing, and hunting in various patterns of walking also far different than straightline or right angle.

Edited by dweste (12/27/10 02:13 AM)

#213672 - 12/27/10 03:03 AM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: dweste]
kevingg Offline
Addict

that rucksack link is where I learned to use the beads; Michael Neiger now uses my beads exclusively (my name is Kevin and I get a mention in his writeup). When bushwhacking just for exploring, you don't have to know exactly where you are as long as you have a baseline you can target to get out (like a power line, or a road etc.). I only pace count when I strike off in a certain direction and don't have any "catching feature" like a river to know when I've travelled a certain distance. Even with a catching feature, it helps to have a sense of how far you have travelled so you don't mistake the next brook at 0.6 miles with the "river" you were targeting at 0.9 miles. It does become a background mantra after a while and does not distract from smelling the roses. Its more acccurate than distance by time estimates; and one easily learns to calibrate their count for terrain variations. Just more fun and challenging for me than just GPS, which is bad news to rely on 100% anyway. My fav compass basic book is June Flemming's staying found.

#213674 - 12/27/10 03:22 AM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Kevin!

#213679 - 12/27/10 04:45 AM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: kevingg]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I hope that lanyard around your neck has a breakaway link, so as to avoid strangulation if anything were to get hung up....

#213692 - 12/27/10 02:15 PM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: hikermor]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I don't do breakaway links. I'll take my chances.

#213694 - 12/27/10 03:42 PM Re: traditional navigation necklace [Re: hikermor]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I think that is called a GARROT -

* By the gang members in the mens room
* Around any snags when you fall
* Around machinery
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 517 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
13 minutes 37 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.