Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#215558 - 01/24/11 02:09 AM is dry gas still needed?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thought about this filling up today.

My Escape's tank is 14 gallons- 56 quarts, or 1792 ounces. If I put in a 20oz bottle of dry gas, that is not quite 4% of the tank. But I'm already putting in 10% ethanol blend anyway.

Don't know if it is needed. Although I do keep some around to fuel some of stoves.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#215560 - 01/24/11 03:02 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Ethanal, methanol, and alcohol are all hydroscopic. Hydroscopic compounds draw water from the atmosphere contaminating gas. Hence, your need for dry gas products is higher.

#215566 - 01/24/11 03:55 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: turbo]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: turbo
Ethanal, methanol, and alcohol are all hydroscopic. Hydroscopic compounds draw water from the atmosphere contaminating gas. Hence, your need for dry gas products is higher.
"Dry" gas?

HJ

#215571 - 01/24/11 04:06 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hiker Jim,Dry Gas? An Additive to render gasoline that has Ethanol in it,Back to Just Gasoline!Ethanol Has a certain % of Water content!ie.,Lower Octane,Higher carbon Build-up,Corrosion to Carbs/Injectors,etc.

#215572 - 01/24/11 04:08 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Ah. So, "dry" gas is just what we used to call gasoline before they started monkeying around with it. No ethanol.

HJ

#215573 - 01/24/11 04:18 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Best practice to protect an engine when not in use that uses any type of alcohol mixed with gas is to shut off the fuel line and run the engine until it runs out of gas. Engine fuel systems with gas and ethanol usually corrode with rust when left sitting. Most fuel treatments sold to remove water from fuel actually are mostly composed of an alcohol type product which makes the situation worse. Check the internet for a lot more information.

Good alcohol is best used for drinking and in stoves.

#215574 - 01/24/11 04:37 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: Richlacal]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Hiker Jim,Dry Gas? An Additive to render gasoline that has Ethanol in it,Back to Just Gasoline!Ethanol Has a certain % of Water content!ie.,Lower Octane,Higher carbon Build-up,Corrosion to Carbs/Injectors,etc.

Hmm. Wikipedia disagrees. "Dry gas is an alcohol-based additive used in automobiles to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasoline spoiled by water."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gas

But then again, that's from Wikipedia. Best taken with a grain of salt (or a dram of good ethanol).

- - -

I haven't heard the term "dry gas" before now -- is it a brand name?

If the gas at the pump has 10% ethanol, there probably is no need to add more alcohol to prevent gas-line freezing.

In my part of the world, when temperatures drop well below -30C, freezing of water in the fuel system can leave you stranded. I have seen this many, many times. A couple of small bottles of methyl hydrate is standard in my winter kit, and it has saved me and others from a lot of grief. I last used it when the temperature dropped below -40C and I had to park the Mazda for three hours (social obligation). She would sort of catch, then nothing; I dumped a bottle of methyl hydrate in the tank, went back inside to the refreshments table, and half an hour later she took right off. The trick is to recognize the problem and stop cranking before your battery is dead.

For people who have heated garages, SOP is to keep the fuel tank full or mostly full. This reduces the amount of warm air (with its entrained moisture) that can enter the tank and, over time, accumulate.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/24/11 04:42 AM)

#215575 - 01/24/11 04:50 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Water is heavier than gasoline, and water will separate from gasoline (like oil and water). If that small amount of water is sucked into the fuel injectors, it won't burn. That's why you added the de-icer stuff to the non-ethanol gasoline, to mix with the water and burn it without stalling the engine. But I don't think you ever added enough de-icer to bring the total up to 10%.

So, you shouldn't need to add de-icer to your fuel if you're using 10% ethanol.

Alcohols can burn with quite a lot of water in them -- rubbing alcohol is 30% water, and still burns, although not as hot. Ethanol can be added to diesel fuel, and water is required!

I find it amusing how many people describe the horrors of being forced to use gasoline with 10% ethanol, when they spent extra money adding alcohol to gasoline themselves for years! AND paying $20+/gallon for it!

Sue

#215578 - 01/24/11 05:01 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: ironraven]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Just use Methyl Hydrate AKA gas line anti-freeze. I use this with Ethanol blended fuel with no troubles. In fact the bottle of gas line anti-freeze I have, states it works with Ethanol blended fuel.

Years ago, living up north, the gas line in my truck froze despite me previously dumping in about 1/2 liter of gas line anti-freeze. The air temp was at -42 F that night and 2 hours later with the help of a tiger torch, a 20 lb bottle of propane and completely encircling the bottom of my truck with plywood sheeting, the torch burning underneath the truck eventually warmed and thawed the gas line enough to re-start the engine. Needless to say, I dumped in lot more anti-freeze after that...

John Lubbock

#215581 - 01/24/11 05:19 AM Re: is dry gas still needed? [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good story, Teslin_. I find that a couple of good doses of methyl hydrate is enough to clear the water out of the system, so I don't need to use it constantly. But some vehicles have more problems than others.

I think our American cousins have a lot more mandated ethanol in their fuel right now. So the total amount of alcohol is a concern, especially with older vehicles not designed for it.

(Our day is coming, since this back-door-agricultural-subsidy will be hitting Canadian pumps--and wallets--very soon.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/24/11 05:20 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.